Old 12-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Berlin
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Long term storage in the FL Keys

Hey all,
we're going to leave our Dutch Steel Trawler (49') in the keys early January. Figured out the Catamaranboatyard in Key Largo. But this one doesn't have electricity, so keeping the batteries alive and the humidity out will be a challenge.
Does anybody in the forum has any experiences with this facility or any other recommendations to store a heavy boat for a period of six month or longer on the hard? Regards, Jan
JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

Very nice and roomy boat !
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I don't have any experience with yards in the keys, but I can help you with the batteries. A medium size panel of 50 watts or so like this one http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-V...tt+solar+panel and a 6 amp Morningstar controller like this one which is waterproof Morningstar SK 6 SunKeeper 6 amp 12 volt Solar Charge Controller: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific.

Put the panel on your fly bridge arch and run the wiring down to a controller set somewhere out of the weather and then run its output to a cigarette lighter outlet up at the fly bridge.

Should keep your batteries fine forever.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I don't have any experience with yards in the keys, but I can help you with the batteries. A medium size panel of 50 watts or so like this one http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-V...tt+solar+panel and a 6 amp Morningstar controller like this one which is waterproof Morningstar SK 6 SunKeeper 6 amp 12 volt Solar Charge Controller: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific.

Put the panel on your fly bridge arch and run the wiring down to a controller set somewhere out of the weather and then run its output to a cigarette lighter outlet up at the fly bridge.

David
+1. Best way to do it.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David
Thank you for good advice. I will look about that !
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Try Marathon Boat Yard. They have a 60 ton lift. Give them a call.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Guru

City: South Florida
Peninsular Marine in Key West should be able to accommodate you. If you're traveling that far maybe Lauderdale Marine Center in the opposite direction would be a better bet. Not much in the Upper Keys for larger boats

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #9
FF
Guru

The keys are very low , should a hurricane arrive , after a 10 year absence , you can easily loose the vessel.

Afloat or ashore , no difference.

Come on up to central FL and get in a hurricane hole , either in a canal behind someones house , or indoors in a climate controlled bldg.

Here is the big buck option,
River Forest Yachting Center.

www.riverforestyc.com/

River Forest Yachting Centers provide Florida's discriminating boat owners with luxurious, secure, long-term boat storage. ... River Forest Yachting Centers' Hurricane Club was created to offer boat owners safe ... Moore Haven, FL 33471
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #10
Guru

City: South Florida
FF is right about hurricanes, and the Big O area is a pretty good Hurricane Hole. While he posted the big buc option, this is the working mans place to stay.

I used to call on this place and you had to go around a few cows on the dirt road to get to it, but its safe and secure and the people are real nice and accommodating.

Glades Boat Storage is owned and operated by boaters, do it yourself boat storage, no tides, fresh water

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
He said he is leaving his boat in January. Hurricane season doesn't start until June. Even so, it isn't "prime time" until August.

I live down here in the Keys full time. Personally, I recommend Marathon Marina Marathon Marina and RV Resort | The Crown Jewel of the Florida Keys (not to be confused with Marathon Boat Yard) for storage and self work. They have a big, big, 75 ton travel lift. My boat is right at about 100,000lbs. They also lifted my buddy's 83 footer. Good friendly staff. If you need skilled labor though then you should go elsewhere.

From talking to numerous people I can tell you the place *not* to go is Catamaran Boat Yard in Key Largo Catamaran Boat Yard If you do, read the fine print on the billing agreement and maybe have a lawyer review the language. Again, this isn't from personal experience, but when you hear the same thing happening to 4 or 5 different people...
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Good morning guys,
Thanks a lot for your help and advice. We're going to visit Marathon today and check both sites.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Guru

Actually, I was thinking of Marathon marina, where we stayed a few times. But definitely check out both, it's been several years since we were there. I'd agree about the time frame not being a hurricane worry and a regardless, good yard will block the boats well; quiz them on that.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Booked in to Marathon Boatyard cause they have all technicians on site which is for me, being in Europe, better manageable. Thanks to all for the support and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Guru

That's a beautiful boat; can you tell us more about it? Any pics handy? I love that style.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
A lot of people over the years have stopped in Marathon and never left or at least made it their winter home.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Wilco!
Just no WiFi cause anchored in front of Upper Matecumbe Key. Merry Christmas (it's a little different the weather compared to home)
Old 01-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #18

Being an owner of a large and similar trawler as yours, I would not leave my boat in the Florida Keys during or part of the hurricane season.especially unattended.

You should consider moving her up northwards, or as someone suggested in the forum, inland around the lake.

If Florida is a place you want to leave her, north Is your best choice. Jacksonville has many safe up river and inland marinas and are likely less expensive then other south Florida locations. I keep my boat there and I get an insurance discount for being out of the hurricane region from June through November.

Feel free to contact me should you want to get some more detailed information.
renes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I know, but it was a question of time. Today she's going on the hard in Marathon. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #20

City: Port Charlotte FL
Vessel Name: Indian Summer
Vessel Model: Marine trader Europa 36
Have you called driftwood marina?
I have used them twice for bottom job and repairs and they are the
most reasonable in marathon.
drinkenbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote