Old 04-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I think Loggerhead has an interesting idea. Have a series of marinas spread out and allow boaters to buy into the group of marinas (with certain rules, of course). So you get a lower, longer-term rate but then have the advantage of being able to cruise around from facility to facility. It's great for the marina chain and pretty great for the boater..

Sort of a marina timeshare?

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #22
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Not a unique concept. Brewer Yacht Yards on the Long Island Sound allow that at their 32 marinas and counting.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't know. I imagine continued battling. The problem for Loggerhead is they aren't able to deal with one definitive authority. Instead there are conflicting factions within the HOA.

Fortunately our home is in an HOA that lacks any militant members at this time. Apparently in 2001 (long before we were here) they had a war. Seems like they had a President who ran it like it was his own business. When he pushed the limits were when he chose to paint the bridges a different color. So, there was a revolt and a coup. lol

Mainly our HOA pays for security and maintains the very minimal common property and the contributions are all voluntary.

Now, back to Stuart. I suspect it's just going to continue much as is and Loggerhead will be forced to make the most of a bad situation. You could ask do the homeowners not know that there are plenty of competing marinas and theirs could be unsuccessful. Oh there's one faction that doesn't know or care. They'll like nothing better than for Loggerhead to fail and then just have a private community marina. The part they're oblivious to is the cost of maintaining that and the loss of current revenue.
i lived in loggerhead in palm beach gardens for 10 yrs and got kicked out they said no more livieaboards. they went down the drain for about 3 yrs and then , now changed back again now the place is full.it is right near the donald ross bridge in jupiter.good hurricain whole sat out three storms there no problem
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post
i lived in loggerhead in palm beach gardens for 10 yrs and got kicked out they said no more livieaboards. they went down the drain for about 3 yrs and then , now changed back again now the place is full.it is right near the donald ross bridge in jupiter.good hurricain whole sat out three storms there no problem
Some members of the HOA get carried away, but then realize it's costing them big time and possibly going to cost them much more.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #25
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Not a unique concept. Brewer Yacht Yards on the Long Island Sound allow that at their 32 marinas and counting.
We're working with all the Brewer yards too - and there's one in Maryland now on the eastern shore in Oxford too!

This concept of paying longer-term slip prices to get into a marina "system" has some great benefits. I'd expect to see more of that for a bunch of reasons especially as we're entering a strong uptake in cruising and marinas are filling more.

The same concept can be applied to boatyard work and we've been pitching the idea to a couple of yard chains for a couple of years. I don't think all open types of transient slips/yard work should be allocated to this type of thing because there always needs to be pure open transient availability to keep fresh blood coming in. But as marinas fill up, this becomes especially attractive.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
News flash, I was a bit tough on the initial post about Loggerhead Stuart. The guy that gave me the info was pissed about two things and he is new at this. Two $ a foot was OK but he was pissed about the $15 power, 30 amp for one night and the extensive "application" to give them money for 1 night. His actual bill was $76 for 1night not the $100 he told me initially.

I seldom do transient marinas. How do you guys, you experienced Marina hoppers feel about the case...32 ft boat.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
News flash, I was a bit tough on the initial post about Loggerhead Stuart. The guy that gave me the info was pissed about two things and he is new at this. Two $ a foot was OK but he was pissed about the $15 power, 30 amp for one night and the extensive "application" to give them money for 1 night. His actual bill was $76 for 1night not the $100 he told me initially.

I seldom do transient marinas. How do you guys, you experienced Marina hoppers feel about the case...32 ft boat.
As I posted initially, their published rate is $2 a foot. So, sounds like he actually got a discount. In an area like that, I find the $76 to be quite reasonable.

Rates are reflections of market. $2 would be considered the bargain of the century compared to a couple of areas I've been. On the other hand, I was amazed at how low the rates were in the PNW and Alaska. I've paid from $0.50 to $8/ft and electric and water rates all over the board.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Loggerhead Stuart is kind-of in a pickle with their recent changes. Stuart is a real cruising community that can rely on wintering cruisers filling slips. Through many sources they talk to one another. Loggerhead's approaching conflict was a topic in Annapolis, Baltimore and Newport long before cruisers headed south. There's plenty of transient business in Stuart but without those reliable bucks coming in from longer term rentals, planning and maintenance must be difficult.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote