Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

City: Pasadena, Maryland
Vessel Name: Querencia
Vessel Model: Mainship 400T
Cool Liveaboard Marina for Winter

I know this thread is started and hashed over and over. I'm starting it again because there seems to be such little permanency in the marinas that don't allow liveaboards, sometimes allow liveaboards, allow them, and welcome them.
I'm looking in an area defined by space coast south, preferably on the eastern shore of Florida. 2005 Mainship 400T
I will have a car down there for the winter, so walking/biking distances are less relevant. I have little desire for "amenities" just want to be able to plug in my 50AMPs...along with a bathhouse and reasonably potable water.
Please don't chime in to convince me that I really want the other stuff...I'd stay on the hook if I didn't like hot showers so much
Any first hand information would be very appreciated. I'm working up a short list of places to go and visit before I make the jump. Will be coming down somewhere around November 1.
Thanks
calypsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Halifax Harbor Daytona.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
Halifax Harbor Daytona.

To far north.It can get down in the 40's and 50's there during deep winter.Snow has happened.

My vote is Ballast Key.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
By needing the 50 amps, I take it you don't have an inverter system? Otherwise I'd rec getting a mooring at Vero Beach muni. They have some slips there too. Fun spot and good live-aboard community. There's a reason cruisers sometimes nickname it "Velcro Beach".

Melbourne and Cocoa are nice towns further on down with Marinas that fit your description though we have only seen the marinas on foot; we anchored out at Cocoa a few times.

We liked Fort Pierce muni when we visited it by boat; convenient to a Class A inlet, plenty of services. We have no experience with the St. Lucie / Stewart area marinas but I know plenty who love that as a base. Once you get south of there the price of poker starts really going up. Got a budget?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Vero Muni is nice, a ways from grocery. Fort Pierce Muni, (if you want lotsa things going on..all the time), Harbortown in Fort Pierce, (arguably the best, b hard to get in Nov.) Harbortown in Merritt Island is pretty good but a long way from anything. The nicest, most plush is Loggerhead in Vero, again a ways from anything and lonely...no one there just boats, allowed live a boards a year ago, now? And there is a pirate marina, cheap with a cast of questionable characters is Banana River Marina in Merritt Island. Sand outside all you want nobody G.A S. (Gives a shi+). Last time I checked no ins required. Long ways from anything. Good luck.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Alright then, Cocoa Village Marina or Ft. Pierce City Marina both can get a little quiet at times but all that is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

I would say Titusville City Marina also but although a great Marina the town is really dying off.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Clapysan..re read ur post...you have a car, forget my comments about distance. I have lived in Banana River during refit and visited all others mentioned, for last year + lived in Harbortown in Fort Pierce. New showers, great staff, new modern laundry mat. Shhhhh do not tell anyone. Oh yeah, great bar- restaurant on compound. Excellent security....3/4 mile to Publix, Pizza 3 miles to West Marine, excellent boat yard and lift......ful service.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
I would say Titusville City Marina also but although a great Marina the town is really dying off.
That could be good or bad,depending on what you like in a small town.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We stayed at the Loggerhead in Vero once, it was a little more "plush" than the OP indicated; very nice. One thing nice about Loggerhead is that if you have a contract with them for one of their marinas, you get "free" transient privileges at their others. One year when I had some pressing business issues, we had a three month lease at the Loggerhead in Hollywood (very nice by the way), and as usual had dawdled on our way down, so stayed at Daytona, Vero (both great) and Lantana (really not geared to bigger boats). So if you plan on doing some cruising in FL, and are marina-oriented, it's not a bad way to go.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #11

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: SALTY
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Telemar Bay Marina in Indian Harbor Beach is quiet, inexpensive, near the beach and well protected. I stayed there about 10 years ago. Not fancy but clean and no scumbags. Welcome to the Telemar Bay Marina
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #12

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
In the Cocoa area, Cocoa Marina on the Indian River and Harbortown Marina in Merritt island. Both are modern well equipped, well maintained and live aboard friendly. Of the two, I prefer Harortown.

Further South, Fort pierce, the municipal marina is excellent. In Stuart, several choices. Matinee Pocket has several small choices, Pirates Cove is a nice facility. I agree with George, further south then Stuart, you get really expensive and crowded .

Nice thing about Harbortown in Merritt Island. They keep the showers and laundry facilities clean. Lots of nice natural scenery to enjoy, plus the rocket launches of the space program.

Good luck, if I can be of any assistance let me know. I keep my boat at Harbortown and love Ft. Pierce and Stuart.
John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsian View Post
I'm looking in an area defined by space coast south, preferably on the eastern shore of Florida. 2005 Mainship 400T
You might want to also consider the West coast of Florida. It is an easy jump from the East coast to the West coast (through Lake Okeechobee) and lots of good facilities from Tarpon Springs south. Not much north of Tarpon Springs, though.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
not on the East coast but easy to get to through the lake Marina Jacks in downtown Sarasota very nice bath house
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #15

City: Key Largo
Take a look at Sunset Bay marina in Stuart. They have docks and a mooring field, good clean showers a short dink ride away. Overall clean, well run and live aboard friendly.
MyHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #16
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
You might want to also consider the West coast of Florida. It is an easy jump from the East coast to the West coast (through Lake Okeechobee) and lots of good facilities from Tarpon Springs south. Not much north of Tarpon Springs, though.
It's not going to be easy if the new owners (NYC Hedge Fund) of the FEC tracks get their way. They have planned 32 high speed passenger trains a day, PLUS 20 freights up to 2 miles each. Oh, 1.6 billion of our tax money as a loan to do it. Their train bridges cross the New River in Ft Lauderdale, Loxahatchee in Jupiter, and St. LUCIE in Stuart.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #17

City: Pasadena, Maryland
Vessel Name: Querencia
Vessel Model: Mainship 400T
Thanks EVERYONE for the replies. I called the Municipal Marina in Ft. Pierce, and they haven't started on the expansion project yet...in case anyone was wondering. I had thought originally, mainly because I knew a guy who crewed on SF's down there, about MARATHON, FL. I'm still calling, but is the consensus that that will be too expensive? I'm big on SCUBA/snorkling and thought it would be closer to diving areas farther South...
calypsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #18

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
As a general rule you are right on both assumptions. However, if you decide to stay a little further North than Key West and are willing to use an anchorage area you can probably find the comprise that will work.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #19

City: Currently Vero Beach FL
Vessel Name: Knot Tide Down
Vessel Model: 41' Lindmark Questar
Telemar is not cheap and very costly if you live aboard, FYI.
Knot Tide Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
By needing the 50 amps, I take it you don't have an inverter system? Otherwise I'd rec getting a mooring at Vero Beach muni. They have some slips there too. Fun spot and good live-aboard community. There's a reason cruisers sometimes nickname it "Velcro Beach".
I was just thinking of that before I read George's post.

Also the mooring balls at I believe Sunset Bay marina in Stewart.

Not many cheap places in FL in the winter. You might find the west coast a little more price palatable. Ft. Myers muni or Gulfport Muni in St. Pete are worth a try. Loggerhead marina is a nice facility in St. Pete which has had some problems getting people to stay, but worth a look see.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, marina