Old 07-15-2016, 06:03 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Lived aboard on the hard several times in the past 20 years. Down south I rented a window airconditioning unit and fixed it to the forward hatch. Also arranged for a dock cart to serve as water collection device so we could use the washing machine and take showers on board. The head was the biggest problem but I have had friends who have used porta potties on board and dumped it out every day or so.

Most trawlers do not have water cooled refrigeration so the refrigerator and freezer worked.

Generally I would avoid this if my wife were aboard but I have done it for a month by myself.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We did 90+% of repair rebuild and update at the dock. Repaired dry rot under the salon windows, and portugues bridge, replaced Windows, re caulked and fasten teak decks, repainted down to rub rail, sand varnish the exterior and interior teak, installed complete sanitation, maintained and up graded engine room, remodeled the interior and stern deck at the dock while living aboard and cruising. Took us 3 to 5 years.

The only work done on the hard was below the water line and painting the lower hull from gunnel to the water line. This year at the dock will sand varnish teak and paint Portuguese bridge and pilot house, and place all the hoses on 671 and gen set. We have mostly moored at commercial and second class marines where they are not so fussy.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
My plan (and budget) is to buy a project trawler and spend months to bring it up to snuff. This will be a live aboard Looper and what ever comes after that. The idea is to sell the up north (and only) home, store all the stuff worth keeping, and move into the boat for a year plus.

That means finding accommodations during the months of fixing and refitting the boat. I suppose we could find an apartment near where ever we find a boat, but is there such a thing as a live aboard dry dock? Or is the dry dock phase of hull hole work short enough to live aboard during the work?

I may have just the boat for you! What exactly are you looking for? I have a 36' Albin I've been living aboard and restoring. I am just about tired of it and ready to move back into my house. Slipped in Biloxi, MS.
fireant4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I find it amusing how many really can't appreciate what you give up living aboad.

Granted the slip location and amenities are a big factor...but still.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I find it amusing how many really can't appreciate what you give up living aboad.

Granted the slip location and amenities are a big factor...but still.

Amusing, indeed. However, over the last year, it's not that I didn't appreciate what I had to give up. That was the excitement for me. The slip and location is great...to say the least. I'm young and just ready to start my next adventure.
fireant4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
For many, once living aboard...they have adjusted...

Getting there is sometimes the problem....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #27

City: North of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant4040 View Post
I may have just the boat for you! What exactly are you looking for? I have a 36' Albin I've been living aboard and restoring. I am just about tired of it and ready to move back into my house. Slipped in Biloxi, MS.
I appreciate the thought, Fire, but we are several year away from buying a boat. Being rather obsessive, I hope to spend a good bit of my free time figuring it all out before the times comes.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #28
Guru

City: East Coast
In m opinion, this is a bad plan. First of all, do you want to go boating or would you rather spend your time working on a boat? If you want to go boating, buy a boat that doesn't need a lot of work and go boating.

If you want to buy a "fixer upper", don't try to live on it while you are fixing it. Rent a house, apartment, camper, anything to let you live off the boat while it's being worked on.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #29

City: North of Texas
This thread has convinced me of that, Wes. Pretty sure we aren't the type to live on the dry at all, even if it's only a week for basic stuff. Far more likely to sell our up north property and buy a modest place with water access where the boat could sit moored outside the back door and plugged into the house.

HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote