Old 01-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
To go around adds about 60 miles one way. Takes all of the fun out of a quick trip into the lake.

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
To go around adds about 60 miles one way. Takes all of the fun out of a quick trip into the lake.

I apologize if I read the Original Poster's intention wrong but it was my belief he was not looking for a quick trip into the lake but rather a location where he could get out for 3-4 weeks at a time. Thus allowing him to travel and explore the Eastern Sections of the Gulf Coast. Coming from Bolivar Roads outside he could come in at the Rigolets head west back into the Industrial Canal to Seabrook, or go on into the lake up to madisonville area. Never have to worry or cross under the Seabrook RR Bridge.

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I like Seabrook and read the same review you did, BobH, but not sure what I read as it says not that the marina requires boats to be hauled but the Corps of Engineers does and I'm not sure if it's referring to at Seabrook or on the lake or whether the information is even accurate. Just unusual in it's wording and what it says. I'd check it out before assuming anything. I think it may mean ou have to remove from Lake Pontchartrain, rather than Seabrook.

Now, I'd think about my destination. If it is New Orleans, then great place, and fine. However, if it's Mississippi, Alabama, Florida then I'd consider driving a little further. From either Pontchartrain or Seabrook, you've still got a pretty long boat ride to anywhere else. The further east you go the more destinations. So, Bay St. Louis or Gulfport or Biloxi? By comparison, Gulfport is an hour more by car, but by boat it may be two days for you, depending on speed and boating days, etc. New Orleans is great unto itself but not the best jumping off point for other places.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #24

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I like Seabrook and read the same review you did, BobH, but not sure what I read as it says not that the marina requires boats to be hauled but the Corps of Engineers does and I'm not sure if it's referring to at Seabrook or on the lake or whether the information is even accurate. Just unusual in it's wording and what it says. I'd check it out before assuming anything. I think it may mean ou have to remove from Lake Pontchartrain, rather than Seabrook.

Now, I'd think about my destination. If it is New Orleans, then great place, and fine. However, if it's Mississippi, Alabama, Florida then I'd consider driving a little further. From either Pontchartrain or Seabrook, you've still got a pretty long boat ride to anywhere else. The further east you go the more destinations. So, Bay St. Louis or Gulfport or Biloxi? By comparison, Gulfport is an hour more by car, but by boat it may be two days for you, depending on speed and boating days, etc. New Orleans is great unto itself but not the best jumping off point for other places.
B, I've been on the reserved haul out list ($250.00 a year) for 3 years at Seabrook. No boats are allowed to be docked in water at their piers before and during a named storm. Talked to David about this not long ago with Army Corps still mandating no boats in the water....just my $.02.

If docked in Biloxi/Gulfport with a storm approaching I move the boat up through Biloxi bay into the industrial area or further up river. About a 3 1/2hr run at 8kts from Gulfport harbor.

I'm a Cajun, south Louisiana boy through and through. However, I must admit I much prefer having our boat in Gulfport as compared to Southshore in N.O.. Maybe because I've spent so much time in N.O. most of my life that I find Mississippi sound far more interesting along with the ability to move East quickly. Besides, my wife really enjoys the cleanliness and beauty of the Miss. coast.
ragin cajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
B, I've been on the reserved haul out list ($250.00 a year) for 3 years at Seabrook. No boats are allowed to be docked in water at their piers before and during a named storm. Talked to David about this not long ago with Army Corps still mandating no boats in the water....just my $.02.

If docked in Biloxi/Gulfport with a storm approaching I move the boat up through Biloxi bay into the industrial area or further up river. About a 3 1/2hr run at 8kts from Gulfport harbor.

I'm a Cajun, south Louisiana boy through and through. However, I must admit I much prefer having our boat in Gulfport as compared to Southshore in N.O.. Maybe because I've spent so much time in N.O. most of my life that I find Mississippi sound far more interesting along with the ability to move East quickly. Besides, my wife really enjoys the cleanliness and beauty of the Miss. coast.
Thanks for the information. I've just never known Army Corps to be involved in such a policy before. You do confirm my thoughts on moving further east.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Our intended destinations are east of NO, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. We plan to look at Marina Beau Chene in Mandeville and then east to Slidell and Gulfport, maybe Biloxi. My concern with Gulfport and Biloxi is their exposure to hurricanes.
Gulfport and Biloxi are at the far end of a trip from our home base in Montgomery, TX. Right now the plan is to head out by car on or about Feb. 1st and look at the possibilities in person. Marina Beau Chene would seem to be the best in terms of hurricane protection and would only add maybe a day to get out to where we want to cruise. We are planning on spending 3-4 weeks at a time so that is not that big a deal.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Our intended destinations are east of NO, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. We plan to look at Marina Beau Chene in Mandeville and then east to Slidell and Gulfport, maybe Biloxi. My concern with Gulfport and Biloxi is their exposure to hurricanes.
Gulfport and Biloxi are at the far end of a trip from our home base in Montgomery, TX. Right now the plan is to head out by car on or about Feb. 1st and look at the possibilities in person. Marina Beau Chene would seem to be the best in terms of hurricane protection and would only add maybe a day to get out to where we want to cruise. We are planning on spending 3-4 weeks at a time so that is not that big a deal.
If you're talking 3 weeks and spend two days each way out and returning to NO, then you've used 20% of your time. Now, if you enjoy those two days of cruising, it's great. Just looking at the reasons you want to move to start with.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #28
Guru

The USCOE policy was a result of barges in the Industrial canal that came loose and overtopped the levees banging into houses and causing damage. The initial allegation was that the loose barges hit the levee wall and caused the breeches that flooded neighborhoods in New Orleans East. This was not proven in trial though. However the policy is now no floating vessels in the Industrial Canal that can cause a breech in the levee.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If you're talking 3 weeks and spend two days each way out and returning to NO, then you've used 20% of your time. Now, if you enjoy those two days of cruising, it's great. Just looking at the reasons you want to move to start with.

Maybe I missed something. Where did the two days come from ?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Maybe I missed something. Where did the two days come from ?
An estimate of how long he might take going to Gulfport, while recognizing he might do it in one day. I don't know his speed or cruising pattern. Some depends on where he docks in the NO area too. I'm just saying that when your opportunities to cruise are limited then time to the cruising grounds is important, especially considering he'd leaving his home area because there's not much new in that area for him to cruise to. He can judge the time himself, based on where he ends up.

I think the NO resident who keeps his boat in Gulfport might be worth considering and discussing it further with.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #31
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
If we decide to keep the boat in Marina Beau Chene, for example, it could take two days to get as far as Gulfport, actually 10 hours at 8kn according to the point to point route in Navionics. Since we are not really time constrained that extra time might be worth the peace of mind in case of a storm.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #32
Guru

I still must be missing something. BobH seems to have mentioned possible destinations in Ms. Ala. and Fla. and I am assuming La. For some people there are plenty of destinations and places of discovery, fishing, and exploration with a bunch of good eats and drink long before Gulfport. Up the Pearl, Breton Sound, The Chandeliers, Bay St. Louis, ....Heck he can spend a week just tooling between Madisonville and Mandeville and eat some wonderful food and drink a lot of Abita instead of lone star.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
I still must be missing something. BobH seems to have mentioned possible destinations in Ms. Ala. and Fla. and I am assuming La. For some people there are plenty of destinations and places of discovery, fishing, and exploration with a bunch of good eats and drink long before Gulfport. Up the Pearl, Breton Sound, The Chandeliers, Bay St. Louis, ....Heck he can spend a week just tooling between Madisonville and Mandeville and eat some wonderful food and drink a lot of Abita instead of lone star.
There are certainly Louisiana areas to explore but much of that is Inland boating then you head east and I mentioned Bay St. Louis but Galveston kind of gets you in the middle of everything or closer to the higher activity areas of the Gulf Coast. You're not missing anything, those are just his preferred cruising grounds.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #34
Guru

I think that he has already done Galveston.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
I think that he has already done Galveston.
Meant Gulfport.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #36
Guru

I have been hearing good things about the marina at Long Beach Ms. Not too far a drive from nola.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Since our boat is at Marina Beau Chene..I'm a bit biased. I say that is where you should go! Several liveaboards there who always watch out for others boats. It's quiet. Great hurricane protection. Located inside of a gated community so protected that way also. Price is very reasonable.

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote