Holiday Point Marina - Ohio River (BEWARE)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willow-B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maggie B
Vessel Make
Mainship 350
I had an issue with my diesel fuel system aboard Willow B last fall Nov 2017, just prior to winterizing here on the Ohio River. I called Holiday Point and Phil (manager) assured me that they were capable as they maintain and repair several diesel boats. I ran Willow B upstream and locked thru the Greenup Locks to get to Holiday Point. When the repair was complete, I went to retrieve Willow B and make the short 25 mile trip downstream, oh and lock thru. Once at my home marina, I winterized Willow B. Fast forward to April 2018, upon recommissioning Willow B, I find that the engine wont fire up. I reluctantly give the engine a brief shot of starting fluid. The engine started and stuttered for a bit before it smoothed out. This is the FIRST time I have used starting fluid on this boat that I have owned since 2014 and put over 3200 miles under her keel as well as four winterizations. So needless to say, I do know my boat and I apparently know what I am doing. After warming up the engine, I shut it down and restarted. Every thing seemed fine. After 4-5 hours I tried to restart and again it wouldn’t start without a shot of starting fluid. I called Holiday Point and advised of the issue. Phil told me to run the boat back up here and they will take a look at it. I expressed my reluctance to run 6 hours upstram and lock thru on a boat with a known diesel fuel system issue. I asked that since the mechanic lived less than 20 miles from the boat could he just come to the boat to troubleshoot the issue. “NO”. I couldn’t believe that I heard correctly and asked him to repeat that. “NO”. I couldnt understand how after he charged me nearly $1,000 and I am now sucking air into my fuel system, that they wont stand behind their service unless I get out on the Ohio River and push upstrean AND lock thru on a diesel powered boat with a known fuel problem. There wasn’t any room for discussion. I then asked him if he has heard of Active Captain. CLICK! The phone line went dead.WOW!!! I have been unable to locate this leak and my only safe recourse is to hire another mechanic to repair the problem injected by Holiday Point.

This recount is absolutely factual. Have you ever heard that if you receive good service you will tell 10 people. But if you receive bad service, you tell everyone you know? Well I am spreading the word and warning everyone about this less than honorable business. I have posted in Active Captain, Yelp, and my own WillowB.us site. If anyone can come up with other avenues to get this warning out to other unsuspecting mariners on the Ohio River, please reply or reach out.

I was scheduled to cast the lines and head for Orange Beach, AL TOMORROW, May 1. This trip may well be postponed. Thanks Holiday Point Management!!!

Please let us know what the issue was on the engine. Sorry for your situation.

Sorry!! Do you have any other mobile service guys in your area?

Yes sir there is. And that is what happened. I found a local tractor/big truck guy and he found some fuel lines left looser than they should have been and others tighter than they should have been. Engine now starts without Starting Fluid Assist. Learned that the first guy was a mechanically inclined marina employee who does whatever is needed, mostly winterizations and/or tune ups on gas engines. Not a diesel mechanic. I am not from this area and have lived here only a few years. But I am learning quickly. Unfortunately, not quickly enough.

Back
Top Bottom