Old 05-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Good Secure Marina, Seattle area?

Interested in staying a few months or up to a year, approx. 42-ft slip. thinking of as far north as anacortes but would consider closer to seattle if not crazy expensive.
Would like it to be secure and fairly protected from weather, but does not have to be a covered slip.
Active Captain shows them all, but its tedious to go through and figure out which ones have waiting lists. is there another way to find open slips and can anyone recommend certain marinas with availability?

Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
define "crazy expensive"?

The only way that I know of to check availability is to call each individually. If you go to the West side of the Sound, moorage costs can be a lot less. The further you go from Seattle, the less moorage will be.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks but yeah its just kind of tedious to call every marina... and really more concerned about security than we are about cost. There's dozens of marinas in that area, some have websites but many do not necessarily show whether there is a waiting list...
Old 05-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Check out Everett. Part of the marina was completed less than 10 years ago.

We went through the same thing 10 years ago. We found that the best way was to go there and do a face to face with the dock master. The municipal run marinas were ok by phone but because they are cheaper, they were mostly full. The privately run marinas required a visit. Lots of word of mouth. With the economy stronger, good slips are harder to find.

When we were in Vancouver, BC, we found a private slip on the north branch of the Frazer River via Craig's list. Great security and price. Maybe try that.

You probably know this but if it's and out of state boat, you're restricted in WA on how long you can keep it there with out paying major dollars.

Good luck on your search.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #5

Thanks for ideas, yes as for being registered out of state we've been told you can pay a nominal fee to Washington and you can stay 364 days.
We wouldn't mind being in the San Juans but places like Anacortes seem to have waiting lists.
If a US boat stays in BC Canada, i don't know how long they let you stay without significant tax implications...?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
Security should be a major consideration as the risk levels vary widely, particularly in that area of the country.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #7

City: Seattle and Blaine
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
I use Elliott Bay in Seattle and Blaine Harbor up North of Bellingham for the two ships. Elliott is hugely convenient to the city being right on the waterfront with no locks to navigate and wait, very secure, and around $15/foot all in. Blaine Harbor is in the sticks, much more casual in terms of security, and around $9/foot all in.
I really like them both. Interesting to observe the difference in demographic and culture between the two. Blaine is my kind of people but since I have to be in Seattle for business and leisure a bunch, Elliott Bay is very handy.
I am betting you could get a slip same day in either but for different reasons. Elliott is the high rent district and Blaine is in the sticks.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Check Edmonds, best part is that Amtrack into Seattle and ferry dock are right next door.
Everett has very modern facilities but when we left there was no space. That might have changed in the last year.
Bellingham is nice but has a LONG waiting list.
Blain has space and is right in the middle of where you will be boating. Downside is lack of resources (West Marine etc.) and distance from Seattle (2 hours or more) or Bellingham (20 min) airports.

All those marinas are secure and well maintained.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
If you want to compare prices, Port of Bellingham did a survey in February 2017, available with other information about their marinas (Bellingham Squalicum and Blaine Harbor) here: http://portofbellingham.com/Document...Home/View/2913
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
LaConner is or was filling up much faster this year. Over a week ago some lengths were already in waiting list mode.

Hamroy your timing is poor or unlucky or both. Good luck.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We liveaboard in Port Ludlow on the west side of the sound. Off the beaten path, so to speak, but nice, quiet, and secure (keypad gated entry). For shopping purposes by car, 25 minutes north to Port Townsend, 25 minutes south to Poulsbo but there's a nice QFC 10 minutes away in Port Hadlock. From here, using the tides, we can be in Friday Harbor in 6 hours doing 7 knots. Unsure of waiting for a 40' slip, but there might be by now. Here's our 90-second cruising guide to Port Ludlow:

https://youtu.be/okq2oXsLaXg
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #12

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Wait.. what are you trying to be safe from? The rain? I would peg Seattle region two std deviations safer than average.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #13

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
That's why Bellingham is full, never rains here. Or so we were told. Also told us it never snows here either, boy were they surprised this winter.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #14
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Check out your tax implications.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #15

Thanks everyone, lots of great ideas and info. The comparison spreadsheet is very interesting. I found out port Ludlow has something like a 6-month wait... As for security; just in case we have to leave it somewhere for a week or so I like the idea of docks with controlled access gates or locks.
Yeah it's a challenging search, we're checking out a boat and if all goes well, might need a slip by early to mid-June. Elliott bay does have openings so we can always keep that as an option: it looks very nice though seems pretty exposed to wind and weather and cruise and ferry traffic. it's certainly a possibility but was hoping to find something further north. I'll keep calling around.
As for taxes, we were told for boats registered elsewhere there is a fee of $300-something that allows about one year before you have to depart.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #16
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
As for taxes, we were told for boats registered elsewhere there is a fee of $300-something that allows about one year before you have to depart.
I believe the one-time vessel use permit is $500, and after the 12 months you then can't return to Washington for 24 months.

There are other options, see http://dor.wa.gov/docs/Pubs/Watercra...x/BoatBroc.pdf
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
That's why Bellingham is full, never rains here. Or so we were told. Also told us it never snows here either, boy were they surprised this winter.

And Bellingham never has any wind as well. ;-)

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
Guru

Hamrow, you can also check out further South. Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Port Orchard, Bremerton, Des Moines, etc...

Where I am at in Gig Harbor, a 50' slip is $500/mo plus electric.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The cheapest is Blaine but anybody can see why.
Everett is more money than LaConner. We've done years of both. If you like to do less than an hour cruises Everett is better. But some think the Swinomish Channel is fun. And some worry about grounding in that channel too. I never have touched bottom w 3.5' draft. Anacortes is more money than LaConner but people love it because it's very close to the San Juans.

Seattle is insane expensive as someone said earlier. Even before the realestate went ballistic.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by QB View Post
I believe the one-time vessel use permit is $500, and after the 12 months you then can't return to Washington for 24 months.

There are other options, see http://dor.wa.gov/docs/Pubs/Watercra...x/BoatBroc.pdf
That's right. Pay careful attention do the do-not-return clause, especially if you plan to travel south again after your year is up.

And all the other rules and regs may seem straight forward, but if you are coming and going in and out of the state over a year or more, the rules suddenly become a lot less clear, the state's permitting procedures appear contradictory to the actual laws, and you will get completely conflicting info from state officials if you ask.

I finally gave up after finding it impossible to determine how long I would remain exempt, and left for Canada. On our return south, we won't/can't stop in Washington. It's a lose-lose for everyone. I don't get to enjoy Washington, Washington bushiness lose my business, and the state loses the tax revenue on that business. And of course the sate doesn't get the use tax either. The only winner is Canada.

A friend of mine visiting from Australia went through the same run around, along with countless other people I know.

Nobody likes taxes, but I accept they are part of our society, and I'm happy to respect any jurisdiction's tax structure. But it needs to be clear what the rules are so I can comply and/or decide whether to visit and how long. Washington's rules are such a murky mess, and the use tax is so high, it's just too big a risk to do anything other than visit for the allowed 60 days a year, then leave.