Good Secure Marina, Seattle area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might also take a look at the two dry lots in Anacortes, North Harbor Diesel and Pacific Marine Center. While not quite the same as having a slip, it is a secure, worry free way of keeping a boat when you live far away. Also far lower cost - both slip wise and maintenance. I've been at NHD for four years and been happy with the experience.
Bruce

Hey great inputs!

I've been at Elliott bay for almost a year and it's been a great experience. Exposure has been a non-issue. Even when the wind howls through the rigging the seawall is completely effective. Only movement I've ever noticed is one little bump when the Victoria Clipper steams by at 27 knots. The view is fabulous, when there is one, transportation to Seattle, at least from the east coast, is cheap and easy, security is great and there are great people ashore who will keep an eye on things for you if needed without charging an arm and a leg. Can't beat the location. It's at the high end of the price range but you do get what you pay for here. My slip will be available only because my purchased year in WA state is up! Another tax fugitive.

So its true you can pay roughly $500(?) and stay what? 364 days...? Did you buy a full year of slip rental or go month-to-month if you don't mind my asking?
This is ok for us because after a year we will likely move the boat over to the east coast for a while.

You might also take a look at the two dry lots in Anacortes, North Harbor Diesel and Pacific Marine Center. While not quite the same as having a slip, it is a secure, worry free way of keeping a boat when you live far away. Also far lower cost - both slip wise and maintenance. I've been at NHD for four years and been happy with the experience.
Bruce

Bruce, thanks this might be a good idea for us if we decide not to cruise much in the winter for 2-3 months or so. How is the cost compared to a slip and how much work is it to get them to take your boat in and out?

My "slip" fee is right around $215 month plus power. They have 5 lots and all are gated and lit. They have 3 travel lifts which can handle up to approx 65', cost in or out is $60 and usually takes 15- 20 minutes each way. The ramp is a little shallow so is sometimes tide dependent. You can stay on your boat and work on it which is great for us.

IMG_2808.jpg

Thanks Raindr, that's very helpful. Hey I might have been in that yard last year to look at a gray hull Fathom 40...

I've been at Elliott bay for almost a year and it's been a great experience. Exposure has been a non-issue. Even when the wind howls through the rigging the seawall is completely effective. Only movement I've ever noticed is one little bump when the Victoria Clipper steams by at 27 knots. The view is fabulous, when there is one, transportation to Seattle, at least from the east coast, is cheap and easy, security is great and there are great people ashore who will keep an eye on things for you if needed without charging an arm and a leg. Can't beat the location. It's at the high end of the price range but you do get what you pay for here. My slip will be available only because my purchased year in WA state is up! Another tax fugitive.

I will probably spend a couple months in Seattle, but the tax implications are severe for me, so I won't take any chances.

I had a previous run-in with the tax police when I moved from Alaska with my car. They routinely look for out of state licensed vehicles since the state is run on these tax revenues.

We liveaboard in Port Ludlow on the west side of the sound. Off the beaten path, so to speak, but nice, quiet, and secure (keypad gated entry). For shopping purposes by car, 25 minutes north to Port Townsend, 25 minutes south to Poulsbo but there's a nice QFC 10 minutes away in Port Hadlock. From here, using the tides, we can be in Friday Harbor in 6 hours doing 7 knots. Unsure of waiting for a 40' slip, but there might be by now. Here's our 90-second cruising guide to Port Ludlow:

https://youtu.be/okq2oXsLaXg
We are considering a west Puget Sound location. How long does it take you to drive to Kingston ferry terminal?
Is that the closest terminal to reach the east shore?
Thank you
G&K

I don't want to get raked over the coals for being off topic so I'll reply to your question directly:)! Dave

We are considering a west Puget Sound location. How long does it take you to drive to Kingston ferry terminal?
Is that the closest terminal to reach the east shore?
Thank you
G&K

Yes, Kingston is the closest ferry terminal to reach the east shore of Puget Sound. From the Port Ludlow marina to the Kingston ferry is about 25 minutes. The Bainbridge ferry, which lands in downtown Seattle (and is the one we take when going to doctor appts in Seattle) is only 45 minutes a

Kingston, Bainbridge, and Bremerton all have marinas very close to ferry terminals. I've heard Bremerton is a bit sketchy. Bainbridge is liable to be more expensive with less availability. Port Orchard is also a reasonably short drive from the Bremerton marina and has several marinas, both public and private. Brownsville is a slightly longer drive, but still easily accessible.

How often would you cross? And are you taking a car? If you take a car twice a month, you might as well pay more and do Elliott bay? Are you planning to live on the boat? That is a wrinkle that does affect which marina.
Ed

36$ round trip car and driver, add for additional people

Elliott Bay Marina if fantastic. Clean, modern, safe, well run, pretty easy to get to and from SeaTac. And there's normally plenty of availability.

Des Moines is another good option. It's the closest marina to SeaTac. If you arrive/depart during business hours they can provide transportation to/from SeaTac. Cheap diesel, too.

...Des Moines is another good option. It's the closest marina to SeaTac. If you arrive/depart during business hours they can provide transportation to/from SeaTac. Cheap diesel, too.

:thumb: We kept three different boats in the Des Moines Marina. One of our favorites. Walking distance to some restaurants and shops. Cheap fuel to. The only down side is the waiting list, 1-2 years for a 40' slip.

Waiting List - Des Moines Marina

Port Ludlow seems nice but it also has a waiting list for 40'+ , I think 6 months or more...

Back
Top Bottom