Old 02-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Florida West Coast Burnt Store Marina

I was curious and just checked out the live aboard rate at Burnt Store Marina, which is $150.00 per month plus tax. How does this compare to other marinas in Florida?

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
They have a really nice facility
Can't speak to cost but I have spent a bit of time there with relatives. Restaurant is great as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Dirt cheap for SW Florida. Doesn't make sense. Are you sure that isn't the live aboard premium which is on top of the base rate?

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
A $150 live aboard fee on top of the regular rent is common here in SW Florida.

You still get metered electricity. The fee is justified as covering the extra trash, water and hassle of dealing with you on a daily basis. :-).
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Active Captain list the price at $16.50/ft plus the $150/mo live aboard fee.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte Fl
It is a very nice marina. It's my go to place for lunch when I am fishing that area.
Guitar Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

City: Tampa, FL
That is very comparable to the liveaboard premiums that are usually charged in the Tampa Bay area.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #8

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
We were going to put in there as libra boards too but biz makes me have to stay in Ft. Lauderdale for the near future.

We got a real good vibe from the harbor master and the folks there.
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
keb

City: Portland, OR
What is the boating like in Charlotte Harbor and surrounding area? How does it compare to the Tampa area? Say with a boat of 6' draft. How does the west side of FL compare to the eastside ... boating wise? Going to be making a trip down soon and check out a few communities. Thanks!
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Charlotte Harbor offers dozens of lovely secluded anchorages, miles of pristine shoreline mixed with dozens more great marinas where you can indulge your need for bright lights and action to the hilt. If you are a careful navigator, 6' draft is easily manageable. If you're not, you may want to install training wheels. There's a lot of water in Florida; it's just spread real thin. From my point of view the west coast of Florida is VASTLY superior to the east coast, unless your tastes run to overcrowded anchorages, absurdly priced marinas, hoards of jet-skis, sprinkled liberally with knuckleheads tearassing around in their go-fast noise-makers. But if you're looking for the best part of Florida for boating, may I humbly suggest you skip the peninsula and go to the panhandle, a.k.a. Redneck Riviera; that area extending east from Mobile Bay to Apalachicola and Carrabelle. No crowds, countless bayous, bays and backwaters to gunkhole and explore, inexpensive everything, friendly folk, incomparable seafood, and the best beaches anywhere in Florida. Enjoy!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
... From my point of view the west coast of Florida is VASTLY superior to the east coast, unless your tastes run to overcrowded anchorages, absurdly priced marinas, hoards of jet-skis, sprinkled liberally with knuckleheads tearassing around in their go-fast noise-makers...
Amen!

Quote:
But if you're looking for the best part of Florida for boating, may I humbly suggest you skip the peninsula and go to the panhandle, a.k.a. Redneck Riviera; that area extending east from Mobile Bay to Apalachicola and Carrabelle. No crowds, countless bayous, bays and backwaters to gunkhole and explore, inexpensive everything, friendly folk, incomparable seafood, and the best beaches anywhere in Florida. Enjoy!
And another AMEN!
The people are great around those parts.
Still a lot of "old Florida" left there.
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
keb

Thanks for the responses guys. Actually we hope to find a place as a home base that is quiet (it's relative, but certainly not a rural backcountry), yet has some amenities (like Burnt Store), is not too far from plenty of services on land (doctors, hospitals, restaurants, etc, etc,etc things for retired life), and definitely close to extensive boat cruising areas with plenty of boat services around (I.e. Plenty of competition). We don't want to be around massive water traffic as you describe, the high prices some describe on east coast of Florida. Fun to visit and pay the high prices, but not everyday.

The idea (as it stands now) is to find a land base, then begin our search for our boat that we can cruise the gulf shore, the keys and the Bahamas and then possibly towards the horizon. I have heard the panhandle has really beautiful beaches and it is less developed, but is farther away from where we want to spend the majority of our time. We think.

If one lives on the west coast say in Fort Myers or Tampa areas, how long does it take to drive your car across the state to the east coast? In general.

Kevin
Portland, OR
Old 04-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #13

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Burnt Store

We were there last year and their was no wi fi. Nice place other wise.

Check Ft Meyers for marinas.
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte Fl
It is a two hour drive from Ft. Myers across the state to I 95. I live in Port Charlotte and it takes me three hours to get to Miami.
Guitar Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
keb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
We were there last year and their was no wi fi. Nice place other wise.

Check Ft Meyers for marinas.

Did you mean no wifi in the marina? What would be internet options then? Cell phone only?

Kevin
Portland, OR
Old 04-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #16

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I was on F Dock for a week last month and the wi fi was good. The folks farther from the office had to carry their laptops up to the patio.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #17
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. Actually we hope to find a place as a home base that is quiet (it's relative, but certainly not a rural backcountry), yet has some amenities (like Burnt Store), is not too far from plenty of services on land (doctors, hospitals, restaurants, etc, etc,etc things for retired life), and definitely close to extensive boat cruising areas with plenty of boat services around (I.e. Plenty of competition). We don't want to be around massive water traffic as you describe, the high prices some describe on east coast of Florida. Fun to visit and pay the high prices, but not everyday.
Then the area you are looking at, as well as the Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda areas are perfect for you

Quote:
The idea (as it stands now) is to find a land base, then begin our search for our boat that we can cruise the gulf shore, the keys and the Bahamas and then possibly towards the horizon. I have heard the panhandle has really beautiful beaches and it is less developed, but is farther away from where we want to spend the majority of our time. We think.
Sounds very similar to our plans when the time comes.
Pensacola, Panama City and the Panhandle in general, have some of what many consider the nicest beaches in the world.

Unfortunately (IMHO), they also have some of the WORST traffic during certain times of the years, and they get too cold to quickly for my taste. Still love them thought!

There's a lot of infrastructure up there, and I don't think you'll find yourself being too remote from those things you need. If you happen to be former military and have access to the VA, etc., then you'll find a plenty there.

Quote:
If one lives on the west coast say in Fort Myers or Tampa areas, how long does it take to drive your car across the state to the east coast? In general. Kevin
Portland, OR
Kevin,

It takes me right at two (2) hours to two and a half hours, to drive from where I live in the Citrus Park area of the NW portion of Hillsborough County which encompasses the City of Tampa for reference (not far from the Pinellas County/Pasco County line), all the way to Cocoa Beach or Melbourne. 99% interstate and turnpike travel.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So it sounds like the OP may have just been looking at the extra fee and not the entire cost for a slip....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #19
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Kevin.... If you haven't purchased a boat yet, at least that is what I think you said. I would really suggest you reduce the draft 6' will be fairly restrictive in the majority of Charlotte Harbor.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #20

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Kevin.... If you haven't purchased a boat yet, at least that is what I think you said. I would really suggest you reduce the draft 6' will be fairly restrictive in the majority of Charlotte Harbor.
Agreed. There is a lot of skinny water on the west coast of Florida. Personally, I would not consider anything with a draft deeper than 5' (and even less would be better) for this area.

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote