Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #1

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: Hardin
FL Central Gulf coast slip

Hi all,

I just sold my 1977 42' Californian in Los Angeles to cruise some different waters. I'm now the proud owner of a 1981 42' Hardin Trawler at a temporary berth in St Petersburg, FL.

I'm looking for a marina somewhere between north of Tampa and south of St Pete. I've called marinas from Tarpon Springs to Gulfport without luck. I'd even consider a well managed mooring.

Ideal would be a very basic (translation: reasonably affordable) marina, with few amenities, but safe and well managed, and with good ocean access.

Anyone know of any place with openings?

Thanks!
-Greg

gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Keep an eye on Craigslist Sarasota/Bradenton, Tampa/St Petersburg, for local offerings. Many owned slips come up for rent when boats leave, but the snow birds are here now so supply is short.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

City: cape canaveral
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
if your open to crystal river, petes pier is really fantastic place covered slips, full service, beautiful place, and rates were good as well
"There is always one more imbecile than you counted on"
vesselislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Wimauma, FL, East Rockaway, NY
Vessel Name: Knot sew Fast
Vessel Model: Pearson Portsmouth
You don't say what marina in St. Pete you're in. There is the Harborage in St. Pete and a few marinas on Salt Creek in St. Pete as well. Toward the southern end of St. Pete near the skyway bridge is Marine Max (they also have a service marina with slips in Pasadena),Pasadena Marina in same area,or in Gulfport, the municipal marina. Further south in Palmetto is Regatta Point and Riviera Dunes (condo marina so slips hard to come by) on the Manatee River. On the opposite side is Twin Dolphins in Bradenton.
On the east side of Tampa bay is Apollo Beach Marina and Landsend Marina in Apollo Beach.
Hope this helps.
chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #5

Hi Paul, Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

I'm not actually presently at a marina. I'm at a small boatyard on Salt Creek while waiting for them to wrap up some work.

The owner is extremely nice, and is being very nice to me. But, the boat needs to get out of here as soon as they are done. They untied a rope from my boat a few days ago to paint the deck, didn't tie it back, and when the winds changed, it drifted /onto/ a piling at high tide. The rail got on top of the piling, and when the tide went down did some ugly cosmetic damage. When I complained, their answer? "We aren't responsible for ropes." I had no idea they undid the rope, or I would have put it back. And, since I was around, I should have checked nightly anyway. But, since I come and go -- I can't always do that. There is just too much risk for the boat to be here longer than needed.

Can anyone confirm openings anywhere, e.g. their home marina? I've called a bunch of places, but keep striking out.

Thanks again!
-Greg
Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

Hi Larry, Hi Robert,

Thanks!

Pete's Pier reports two openings big enough for the boat. So, that is a good possibility.

Once I get a little more confidence in the boat, I'll probably be okay leaving it in a back yard slip. But, since it is a new-to-me boat, I'd like it in an active marina for right now. That way, since I'm an away owner, there is some chance someone would notice and let me know should the bilge pumps suddenly act like thrusters and the boat is looking shorter than they remember :-)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Living Waters
Vessel Model: 36' Grand Banks Classic
Try Clearwater's City Marina, I think they might have a few openings now
Fishing Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your help!

Fishing Fool wins this round: I just got a slip at clearwater beach marina!

I called them a month ago and it seemed hopeless -- 30 people on the waitlist and a years long anticipated wait. I didnt even put my name on the list.

But, apparently two 46x15 slips came available, they called all 30 people on the list and none could take it right now, so I got one. Victory!

As of Friday (Potential future readers note date: 1/11/2019) COB, there was still one left, if anyone else is hunting.

And, I learned something about waitlists!

Thanks again, everyone!

-Greg
Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Living Waters
Vessel Model: 36' Grand Banks Classic
Congrats Greg!

Look me up sometime when you arrive at Clearwater.

I'm the Grand Banks in slip C-10

Jeff
Fishing Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Hi Paul, Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

I'm not actually presently at a marina. I'm at a small boatyard on Salt Creek while waiting for them to wrap up some work.

The owner is extremely nice, and is being very nice to me. But, the boat needs to get out of here as soon as they are done. They untied a rope from my boat a few days ago to paint the deck, didn't tie it back, and when the winds changed, it drifted /onto/ a piling at high tide. The rail got on top of the piling, and when the tide went down did some ugly cosmetic damage. When I complained, their answer? "We aren't responsible for ropes." I had no idea they undid the rope, or I would have put it back. And, since I was around, I should have checked nightly anyway. But, since I come and go -- I can't always do that. There is just too much risk for the boat to be here longer than needed.

Can anyone confirm openings anywhere, e.g. their home marina? I've called a bunch of places, but keep striking out.

Thanks again!
-Greg
Greg,

What marina forgot to retie the rope? I've been thinking about a few down there for some work and certainly don't want some irresponsible one.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #11

Hi Seevee,

I replied via PM. I don't like leaving criticism in forums because things can change and forum posts are forever. And, in this case, the marina has been nice to me in other ways, and I agreed to let this job be done during the time the marina was otherwise closed between Christmas and New Years (the worker needed rent money).

It wasn't a "side job". I paid the marina. But, things might have been different if the managers, supervisors, and others were there.

Regardless, in my mind, they own the rope they untied -- but they didn't own up to it and it did a lot of damage. So, I am not a happy camper.

Cheers!
-Greg
Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #12

Hey Jeff,

Thanks! Will do! I'm (or will soon be) the 42' Hardin Trawler in slip #46.

Cheers!
-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Fool View Post
Congrats Greg!

Look me up sometime when you arrive at Clearwater.

I'm the Grand Banks in slip C-10

Jeff