Old 08-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #21

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Thank you for responding with what I was going to respond with

I wasn't giggling...I was waiting , and I'm pretty new here.

Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Sorry, but nobody had it worse than this guy . . . who bore his name with good humor from all accounts. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/ar...ies-at-82.html

I would not have wanted that name on my reserved parking space (he said in a feeble attempt to get back on topic).

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: As a teacher I often saw kids with names that I guess their parents thought were cute but were really cruel jokes. There's a time that the jokes might have waited until high school, but they start now in elementary school as kids today are far more familiar with all the "bad words." Kids have enough challenges without some wisea.. name being given to them. As to last names, I had one parent whose wife kept her maiden name and the kids were all given her name and not the husband's. To avoid confusion he changed his name to hers. But he, and even more his sister, had been tormented and harassed their entire childhood and didn't want his daughters to go through that. It's no longer funny after about a thousand jokes.

PS. Back on topic. We've still had no problems finding a parking spot.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Johnny Cash's song "A boy named Sue".....

In my little reality...kids that have funny names survive by not letting it become the subject matter......

Kids with normal names but not personalities got nicknames anyhow...which are just as hard to live down.

Not saying giving your kids names that are easy to make fun of is a good idea...but giving them the strength and guidance to survive in a world where complete morons are allowed to roam is far more important.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Johnny Cash's song "A boy named Sue".....

In my little reality...kids that have funny names survive by not letting it become the subject matter......

Kids with normal names but not personalities got nicknames anyhow...which are just as hard to live down.

Not saying giving your kids names that are easy to make fun of is a good idea...but giving them the strength and guidance to survive in a world where complete morons are allowed to roam is far more important.
Wifey B: At the least though it becomes a major distraction. Similarly giving a kid no middle name. There are forms that won't process without you putting something in that space so the kid becomes Peter NM Smith, or giving them four or five names without a plan for which to enter officially. So one place they're Jose Uribe and another they're Uribe Gonzalez, and another Jose Gonzalez. Then if they play baseball and are traded they can really be the "player to be named later."

I had a kid whose name was J Franklin Smith (Smith not his real last name but for illustrative purposes). He went by Frank. Every teacher insisted it must by Jay, not J. The school had him on the forms as Jay. It was just J, named after his two grandfathers, James and John.

I know a Cuban man whose name was Francesco Maria Fernandez. His mother wanted a girl to name Maria and so stuck with it. And I know a 40 year old woman who has never even told her closest friend what her middle name is. I can't imagine it's as bad as things we've imagined. We only have the initial C. She has also instructed personnel that they are never to share it with anyone. It is not even on her driver's license and I don't know how she accomplished that.

Kids can't stop the name from being a subject matter. Can they stand proud and not let it get to them? Yes, but it's still annoying as h...

Then the fads and naming your kid after someone. My hubby hated his given first name for very personal reasons, had it legally changed.

Now, back on topic. We're still docked.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote