Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Tornadoes hit Island Cove Marina

Recent posts indicate Island Cove Marina in Harrison, TN (near Chatanooga) has been hit hard by a tornado.* I believe Woodsong keeps his Bayliner and Monk there.

Anyone out there with updates on the injuries or damage?* Here are some pics...

Keeping you folks in our thoughts and prayers.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   3.jpg   5.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg  

10.jpg  
Attached Images

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

It's bad!
Here is a pic a friend of mine snapped of my dock. I edited it to show where my boats are as they are both on the same dock:

See that houseboat in the foreground? My trawler is in the 2nd to last slip furthest from shore. That houseboat on shore is supposed to be in the slip next to my trawler, i.e. the very last slip on the dock yet there it is on shore. I am not sure yet of the extent of damage but that WAS a covered dock earlier today so the roof completely blew away. The dock that was 2 docks away from us that a lot of my friends are on...that dock is now only one dock away as the dock that used to be between us is essentially gone and the other dock moved over so I guess I have a shorter walk to see my friends? As of late this afternoon both of my boats were floating but I don't know any more than that except that I can see in the pics that the bimini and eisenglass on both my boats are seemingly gone. One friend's boat that they just bought late last summer had the aft quarters and transom totally separate from the boat above the rubrail at the junction of the rubrail.

And that pic Al posted that looks like it said Hatteras??? THAT is the entrance to my dock or at least what was the entrance to my dock.

I was supposed to be up there today but got delayed due to a lunch meeting in Atlanta. I hope to go up first thing in the morning to check on everything. I have a lot of client's boats for sale at this marina so lots of impacts.

The only good news is that it seems no one lost their lives. One of my brokers that works for me was on one of the docks as he keeps his 48' Jefferson there. He and a liveaboard were watching the storm at the end of the dock and in a matter of moments it was upon them- he didn't even have time to get back on his boat- had to grab a support post for the roof and hold on for dear life. His is the dock that is now one dock closer to me.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 2nd of March 2012 09:21:26 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Prince Rupert,BC
Vessel Name: Salty Bear
Vessel Model: Ta Yang Pilothouse Trawler
RE: Tornadoes hit Island Cove Marina

Sorry to hear about the storm. Hopefully there was no serious injuries, you' re in our thoughts and prayers.

Best regards, Kevin and Melanie , from BC Canada
Salty Bear II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?

My best heartfelt wishes to you and your friends. Boats can be replaced, friends-never! I think forcast is for more unsettled weather PLEASE keep safe.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Of all the things I'worry about as a boat owner, tornado never came to mind. Wow.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Wow Tony.....So glad you're okay and your boats are still floating.* Hoping for*a quick recovery*for you and your neighbors.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Geeze, Tony. * I didn't give the thread much attention till now. *Anyway, I hope things are left to items to repair and not losses of family & friends. *When Mom Nature wants to kick butt, there is no place safe.

-- Edited by healhustler on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 04:26:26 PM
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Guru

a ton more pictures. MAJOR damage. Heartbreaking:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1602511&type=1
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Looks huge Tony. Really heartbreaking to see all that damage. Have you been able to assess your own boats yet?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So very sorry to read about the damage, Tony. Especially poignant as we visited you and your son and the Monk at Island Cove this past autumn. Stay strong.
rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Tony,

So sorry to hear and see the destruction.* Some boats look just fine and some are total trash.* Very sad to say the least.

What is the word on your two?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Tony,* Amazing how powerful these storms can be.**Glad your family was not there.

Hope your boats are okay.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Guru

Both boats sustained damage. The integral, built in, fiberglass double helm chair on the bridge of the monk is gone (???!!!), mast sheered off, port side of bridge somewhat crushed, about half the handrail broken off, etc. etc. Interior looks fine though- no broken windows and no water intrusion. Just heart breaking.

My new boat...dinghy AND the entire dinghy davit assembly that should be on my aft flybridge are laying on my swim platform (or more accurately stated, dinghy is laying on the platform, davit is ripped out and laying on edge of the bridge, port bowrail bent, radar arch all messed up and radar dome blown to pieces, and obviously the eisenglass enclosure is completely gone. No interior damage and no water intrusion on that boat either so that is good.

I can repair the 45. I honestly don't know that I have the heart and energy to rebuild the Monk again. SO much heart and soul was poured into that boat and honestly, words could not express how sad it made me to see her yesterday like that. I just can't believe it to be honest- what are the odds?

Here are some vids I shot on our dock yesterday:

Just heartbreaking. *So much damage. *Marina will have to be totally rebuilt and my own two boats....uggghh...heartbreaking.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #14

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

I have only just now read about the tornado and the damage at Island Cove Marina.. *So sad, and as you mentioned, 'hearbreaking'. *I can only say "courage, mon ami...."
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:I can repair the 45. I honestly don't know that I have the heart and energy to rebuild the Monk again. SO much heart and soul was poured into that boat and honestly, words could not express how sad it made me to see her yesterday like that. I just can't believe it to be honest- what are the odds?
*Don't do it yourself hire it out.* Your insurance deductible should not be that bad as it wasn't a named storm.* Or have the insurance companies come up with a name?

On a brighter side you didn't cause this but you may be able to take advantage of the out come.* There will be new boats bought and repaired ones sold so you just need to be in that mix where you can.* Sort of turning Lemons into*Lemon Aide.

Good luck.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

God, Tony.....I'm just sick in my heart for your situation. I know exactly where you are coming from when your proud restoration work is "undone". I'm with you on that inner question that says "I don't know if I can or even want to do that again". Still, at least you don't have to recover physically to even contemplate it. You're OK, your family is OK, and that temporarily depressing situation is thankfully "temporary". That is an excellent platform to heal from, but it is important to simply honor when one needs to take a few breaths before picking-up and moving forward.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Video link showing destruction at Island Cove

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/3/3...6-Injured.aspx
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44

Unfortunately, tornadoes are starting be a rite of spring in this area. *Last April, we had the worst outbreak in history that devastated many North Georgia, Alabama and SE Tennessee communities. **

My brother-in-law's boat is somewhere in that tangled wreckage at Island Cove--upside down.

My next-door neighbor's son lives about a mile from the marina. *He was pre-occupied working on a school paper and didn't know about the tornado warnings. *He was on the second floor and only had time to grab the dog and jump in a bathtub before the house exploded around him. *When he was finally able to crawl out the second floor window, it was only a 4-foot drop to the ground.

Very sorry for your losses, Tony, and for everyone who was harmed by these storms.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Tony,

Very sorry to hear the news. As you know we had a tornado rip through Deltaville last summer, unfortunantly lives were lost. Great to hear no lost souls. Boats can be repaired or replaced. Keep your chin up and count your blessings. Hey the brightside is lots of new customers for you
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I just came from my Marina on the Tennessee River and we got hit also but nothing like Island Cove.
Last year we were hit and it completely destroyed one dock.Blew it on to the roadway in 1000's of pieces.Welll they rebuilt it and it opened about 2 months ago and it was almost completey destroyed again.About 1/3 of it looked like it was not damaged a lot.The storms were very bad for sure!!
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote