Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Greenbank, WA
Dry storage for Trawler

I am going to be a new trawler owner soon, and am facing the problem of finding a suitable berth in the northern Puget sound. It seems things are VERY tight up here, and every marina has a long wait list. I came across a business in Anacortes, right where a I would like to be, that will dry store your boat for $7/ft. (about half marina cost) and will charge $125 round trip to launch and retrieve. They say they can handle boats to 70’. This sounds pretty interesting. If I use the boat 2-3 times a month, it is about the same cost as a berth (or slightly less). I am likely to want to take the boat out for 2-5 day trips, not just day trips.

What do folks think of this? Too much wear and tear launching and retrieving so often? Benefits of the boat being dry stored etc.?

I am tempted to try it if I can’t find a good slip.

Jknox0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
My own recent experience would make me tell you to be careful and to closely check how your boat is store. Ask how they would block it!

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Worth a try while waiting on a slip I guess, but a pain to have launch it using the travel lift every time. More risk of damage maybe doing it that often?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Dancing Angels
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 400DB
I store my boat on the hard in Anacortes. Its a pretty good system. You just have to plan ahead for launch and haul out.
SR400DB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Many Californian’s dry store in Anacortes. They launch in June, return in Sept. if your boat usage is well planned out then it works. Doesn’t work if you are an impulse users as the yard usually needs 24 hr notice. While the risk Lou just experienced is rare, it is a real possibility. I would be more concerned about time issues than the boat being dropped.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Storing it on land is fine during the winter. During the boating season it is a hassle. Many times you'll want to stay on the boat while you work on something. Can't really do that while you are on land.

Check out the marinas in BC. I know Sidney has openings for 60-70'. Not cheap but you are right there in the islands and Sidney itself is a fun town. The ferry from Anacortes is walking distance to the marina.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Put your name on 2 or 3 marina waiting list but, dont tell them.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #8

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
There are several yards in Anacortes that offer dry storage. They're experienced professionals and won't damage your boat the way Lou's was damaged. Some use travel lifts, some use a contraption that looks like a cross between a forklift and a boat trailer. I just had a boat launched / hauled for survey using that gizmo, all went very well. My buddy stores his KK42 on the hard in Anacortes when he needs to.

Yes, depending upon usage it could be a hassle to arrange launch and haulout. But to get by until a slip turns up? It's a solution.
Another thing to consider is join a yacht club with good outstations and reciprocal agreements. You can't stay long but juggling dry storage with yacht club dock space you could make it work.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I think dry storage at one of the better yards in Anacortes would be the ideal way to store a boat. You are close enough that weekend use would be a hassle, but for an absentee owner it's great. If they are using a hydrolift, it is very kind to the boat. You do want to make sure they know how to block - one yard in Anacortes blocked my boat in just two places, kinda like Lou's, didn't damage it but I thought very dodgy.

I keep mine dry stored in Sidney at Van Isle. They use a hydrolift, are very conscientious about blocking, it is a paved fenced and secure lot. With a year's storage contract, they will launch and retrieve 12 times for free.

One caveat: you may need to winterize some systems for winter.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Lot less maintenance with dry storage:.

Launching is a hassle but does'nt the yard do that?
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Lot less maintenance with dry storage:.

Launching is a hassle but does'nt the yard do that?
Yes, the yard does that. Takes just a few minutes. However at some of the yards it is tide dependent.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #12

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
How about Blaine, its close to great cruising areas and the drive isn't that brutal. I checked out one marina there, which I have copied and pasted below:

BLAINE HARBOR

Blaine Harbor, located in Blaine Washington, is a 629 slip marina home to recreational and commercial fishing vessels.

Currently Blaine Harbor has 26', 36', and 40' slips available. Short wait for 45', 50' and 60' slips. Short-term subleases may also be available in other sizes. Please call the Blaine Harbor Office directly at 360-647-6176 for current availability.

Click here to visit the Blaine Harbor webpage: https://www.portofbellingham.com/198...ge-And-Dockage
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

While out running around the roads today we drove by Port Ludlow. That jogged my memory. I've seen them give long-ish term leases on their transient docks. No guarantee they still do that but worth looking into until a slip comes up closer to home.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Greenbank, WA
Blain is 2 q/2-3 hour drive. A lot more thanI would like. Ludlow means a ferry ride from where I am, again, not ideal. I will see what the broker can dredge up, and if worse comes to worst, I guess I will put her on the hard in anacortes until I find the right slip.
Jknox0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #15

No, nothing is ideal when you can't find a slip close to home. Speaking of close to home, I'm assuming you've gotten on the list at Oak Harbor?
Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 AM   #16

City: Lakewood, WA
Vessel Name: Highland Mist
Vessel Model: North Pacific Yacht 39
We've been with North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes for the past year or so, and have been very happy with them. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and responsive staff.
Highland Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #17

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Somewhere, looking at a Google map you will have to pay in time, either on your boat or in your car. To be arrogant, the cruising you can do from Blaine will over all be more interesting as you are very close to the Gulph Islands, larger than San Juan Islands, you can bounce over to Victoria or up to Vancouver.

I use to tent camp and trailer camp around La Conner, Deception Pass and Oak Harbor. I drove all the time down from North Vancouver to these locations, no big deal. And that drive is a lot longer from your home to Blaine, which according to Google Maps is 1 hour 54 minutes, which sounds much more accurate than 2 1/2 hours.

My boat is moored one hour from where I live and I happily do that drive as it gets through the long boring part of boating if I had to cruise up. If I were to leave from French Creek marina, literally minutes from my house and easy to get my boat moored, it would take me 4 or 5 hours or more to get to Powell River and access all the fun in Jarvis Inlet, Desolation Sound and the Broughton archipelago.

And the same is true for you, if you are "heavy" cruisers, not discussing weight here but use, then you will be coming up my way as sure as God makes little green barnacles (which reminds me to tell you to get a RIB, not a soft bottom dinghy).

I just finished reading an older Pacific Yachting mag about boaters who store and birth their boats significant distances from their home. The marina I'm at is considered one of the best on the coast for locale, access to great boating playgrounds and services. Apparently 15 % of all boaters out of Comox at both the public and private marina are from Alberta and fly in from Calgary and Edmonton to unite with their boat here. And according to the article, there is a 1000 boat waiting list to get in, part of the reason I purchased my boat from that marina, the slip was part of the deal, I got to jump the line.
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks
rsn, ^^^ well put. I moored a boat in Ladner, 1/2 hour from home. 3-5 hours later I crossed the Salish Sea and started the cruise.
With this latest boat it will be moored in Otter Bay, 1/2 hour to ferry, 1-1/2 hour ferry ride in sea conditions that at times made you stay home an d we are in the heart of cruising. Plus, the marina there is pleasant enough to just spend a few days on the dock.
That's the plan, time will tell.
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #19
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Dry storage for the winter is a great solution if you're on your boat and using it all summer, in which case you're anchoring out and using transient moorage as you travel. I've talked to a couple boats who do this in Anacortes and they really like it. Hydraulic trailers are used and the employees are good at blocking boats. This seems like a better solution than having a year-round slip and sub-letting it for the four summer months we're usually gone up north. I may switch to dry storage myself in the future.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #20
JLD

City: Maryland
I guess the boat that you are thinking about dry storage is the 47' Willard from your other post?

I have looked into dry storage of a much smaller boat in my area. One thing I didn't like was the limited hours of pulling and/or launching the boat.

If they launch the boat out of dry storage, do they have a dock for you to use your boat and if so, are the time constraints acceptable to you.

Jim

JLD is offline   Reply With Quote