Old 07-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Dry storage

Try the marinas at Langley, Oak Harbor and Deception Pass. Also, there is dry storage next to Oak Harbor Marina that would probably be cheaper than Anacortes. What about Fisherman’s Bay Or Friday Harbor?
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #22

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: No Bad Days
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
An option might be Blaine Harbour Boating Centre. You pay by the month which makes it easier to leave if you find a spot farther down the coast.
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: 2004 Grand Alaskan 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknox0601 View Post
I am going to be a new trawler owner soon, and am facing the problem of finding a suitable berth in the northern Puget sound. It seems things are VERY tight up here, and every marina has a long wait list. I came across a business in Anacortes, right where a I would like to be, that will dry store your boat for $7/ft. (about half marina cost) and will charge $125 round trip to launch and retrieve. They say they can handle boats to 70’. This sounds pretty interesting. If I use the boat 2-3 times a month, it is about the same cost as a berth (or slightly less). I am likely to want to take the boat out for 2-5 day trips, not just day trips.

What do folks think of this? Too much wear and tear launching and retrieving so often? Benefits of the boat being dry stored etc.?

I am tempted to try it if I can’t find a good slip.
I went through this 2 years ago and had a waitlist at Port of Everett. I would put your name on several lists like someone else mentioned but also contact Bremerton. They had some great specials a while back and dock there for a year/2 until something better opens up. Not sure if logistically that will work, but thought I would share what I considered 2 years ago.
Capn James Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #24

City: Sun City Center
Try oak harbor

You might get a slip quicker in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island. Little harder to get to. You also might try Bellingham for dry storage. I stored my Ericsson 27 on the hard for the winter months..

If you are in a hurry try the Hood Canal.. the only negative is no easy connection to the San Juans
Hendrik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #25

City: Silverton
IMHO,

There are no substantial reasons not to store your boat on the hard in the great PNW. Unless you just like doubling hull expenses and higher moorage rates over time.

On the hard in Anacortes. 😀
toddlvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #26

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
We are dry stored at North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes. Our old boat is in a slip in Seattle near the locks. Our experience to date has shown positives and negatives. NHD is very good at launch and retrieve, I always have them drive though! The cost is lower than in the water, bottom stays clean, easy to change zincs, no risk of electrolysis issues, and of course it won't sink at the dock. NHD has transient docking so that works well.

The downside is that you have to schedule the launch and retrieves, the time is limited due to tides (can't launch / retrieve at low tide). You can't run the engines/gen to test anything. Winterizing is a big deal. In the PNW, a boat in the water isn't going to freeze anything that's at or below the water. When it is out of the water the boat will freeze hard, so the fresh water system, engine cooling, generator etc all need to have antifreeze. The winterizing left a residual taste in the fresh water system that's taken several complete cycles of filling the tanks to get rid of (after multipe flushes). Finally, you can't just go sit on the boat, well you can, it just isn't much fun 10' above the ground.

Overall, given the cost difference I think dry store is a good way to go unless you're a weekend user. Our yard (and several others in Anacortes and Laconner) can also do maintenance for us, since we live 800 miles away that's convenient. Be aware that even the dry storage lots are VERY touchy about owners doing maintenance like sanding/painting due to environmental regulations.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #27

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 31 TE 2004
Dry Storage Anacortes

I presently have an Albin 31 TE stored dry with AMG (Anacortes Marine Group). I have been pleased with the management, in/out services, and their repair shop. They assumed control of some of the space previously run by North Harbor. My only complaint would be the fact that they are not open on weekends. Launches and retrieval’s are only done , scheduled in advance, on weekdays. They will launch on Friday for a Saturday pick-up and do not charge for mooring at their dock on Friday night. Likewise, they do not charge for moorage if the boat is to be dropped off for a Monday retrieval. One catch, they charge an additional $100 each way to move the boat to or from their dock of the owner is not present.

Dagmar’s in Everett is a good option, but it does add travel time to the islands. They do not charge for put in’s or take-out’s. They have nice docks and the boat is ready when you arrive and you just leave it there when you’re finished.

Skyline in Anacortes is another popular option. They are open for launches and retrievals on weekends. They have reasonably priced indoor winter storage, but it is my understanding that the boat is inaccessible when stored indoors due to their insurance.

I have heard of storage, dry and wet, in Canada, but I can only imagine the possible additional headaches added by either WA state ferries or the border crossings ... the avoidance of either, or both, is one of the primary advantages of having your own boat.

So far, I think I’ll stick with storage on the dry in Anacortes.
Mark Laurnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #28

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
I had a mixed experience with our dry storage of our trawler in Anacortes. At the time it was the ideal situation - the boat we bought needed some things worked on so dry -vs- marina made absolutely no difference to us, and it was a little cheaper per month so that almost sealed the deal, keeping the boat closest to us while we spent every weekend working on it, we were on a waiting list for our marina while we did so. As it turned out we timed it just about right. We were in dry storage for just over six months and then our spot opened up in the marina in Shelter Bay, and were just finishing a bunch of work in the engine room. It was a great solution for us in that regard.

I wasn't there for the haul, I left it on their dock and my son attended the haul and blocking. As it turned out the crew, for whatever reason, didn't pay attention to whether the boat was level, and that didn't work well for me. It caused drains to not drain properly all over the boat, and even some areas to leak (they needed sealing, but since the boat never regularly sat at that particular heel angle, the leak had never been detected.) It was way bow high and heeled to stbd. Due to weather and weekend, I ended up building a makeshift shelter over my after cabin until we could get them to come out and reset the boat. Even then it wasn't the greatest, I ended up carefully getting the port/stbd level myself with the jackstands. The response from the lady who ran the storage yards for North Harbor was a bit indifferent. I suffered no real damage, but it was a definite put off. (Every other contact I've ever had with NHD for service or parts is completely the opposite, mind you, wondering if I was dealing with someone who was seeing their job go away, see below.)

That yard (North Harbor Diesel) sold their interest in that yard and a few others (maybe all of their storage, not sure) to AMG, but I've never dealt with them. North Harbor wasn't really set up for any sort of weekend or day trip in/out boating as their dock space is very limited to be able to pull and set boats. I have no idea what AMG's dockspace availability is.

The one that is set up for that would be Pacific Marine, who have a ramp and large dock of their own. We stored our last boat there. If I were to consider dry storage and thinking about weekend trips in my trawler from Anacortes, I would look to that facility first. There are a number of trawlers and other larger boats stored there, I want to say some TF members there too. They are close to the water, have the flattest smoothest ground to cover while moving your boat. Most other yards in Anacortes need to move your boat a considerable distance or have some good bumps to move it over. Not too bad for once a year winter storage, but not something I'd want for multiple in/outs per year. At Pacific Marine you basically have a "home". They set some concrete blocks as bases for your blocking, and have stands and wood blocks set to complete your blocking. Not the cradles being talked about in Lou's thread, but definitely a planned well supported spot for your hull.

Regarding some of the discussion about marina/storage location in proximity to home - for us having the boat close, especially now while it is new to us is in maximizing our ability to get to it after work or on weekends to do work on it, but living close to Laconner and having a dock there works well for us for now. (Ask me again after 100 slogs up and down the channel how I feel about it though.)

Free advice not taken is worth nothing.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Greenbank, WA
Yes, it is the Willard. The broker says he will find me something, but so far I don’t have anything firm. Emerging plan is to hopefully have it in the water this fall, through at least end of October, so I can do a few short trips and get used to the boat, then put her in the hard for winter someplace where I can at least go on board and do a few interior projects, then launch again around April,1 to start doing more shake-down activities before heading north to Alaska for the summer. After that I am not so sure, but by then maybe something opens up in Oak Harbor where I am on the wait list.
Jknox0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #30

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Not sure where you are on this. We also use North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes for dry storage. We had three in/out round trips this summer. NHD is fairly accomodating but be aware that the time that boats can be launched/retrieved is tide dependant. That said we were able to make a last minute change since we had to come home a couple days early last week.

Dry storage does remove the ability to be spontaineous, you have to meet your lauch/retrieve windows. You may also have to pay transient moorage sometimes (e.g. Cap Sante).

Our boat is just across the street from the launch ramp so the process is only a few minutes. NHD uses as lift trailer that cradles the boat on air bladders so it doesn't jar when moving....it does rock.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote