Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Does your marina...

When a boat is brought to a marina how do they determine the actual length of the vessel?

Since I imagine all marinas are different, as far as their policies are concerned, I'm throwing out the question here on TF attempting to get a consensus of what is typical and what I could expect in the future.

On the same topic... Are transient boats scrutinized more or less than if you were searching for a longer term slip?

Here's the hypothetical example that brought up these questions:

Say you've got a boat that measures 50' LOA according to the builders certificate but at some point after purchasing the boat a small swim step was added which now makes the boat 52' LOA.

1. Does your marina accept what is shown on the vessel's builders certificate?

2. Do they take your word for it?

3. Do they measure it?

What's the norm, if any, here?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

City: Freeport Tx
What

What I have seen they wil go by the longest measurement that's swim deck include in the measurement. You maybe able to give them the measurement but they are all different

Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
They are all different. I tell them I have a 36' trawler with a dinghy on davits. They will either charge me for 36 or 41. Depends who is working that day. I'm not going to argue about $10.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
In the last 3 years and probably 50 different marinas along the ICW, I have never been questioned beyond what I have said. Occasionally I have even said 39 when it says 40 Albin on the side (documentation says 39.4) and the marinas never said boo.

Now for long term or yearly...and more often dry storage...I gave seen the tape measure come out.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Like others have said. . .depends.
Most overnight guest moorage at the marinas we visit will accept whatever length you give them. My home marina measures your boat from tip of the bow pulpit to the outboard edge of the dingy of all permanent resident boats.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Guru

Agree it varies by marina. Some of the places up north in PNW that do only transient on side ties get very particular and will jam boats anchor to stern with little room between and if they get a few boats a little longer than stated they can lose a spot that has been reserved. So every inch of length is accounted for.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Ours is via the size of berth you take, so if you have a 36' footer on a 40' berth you pay the 40' rate.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Another twist usually for long term dockage is that you pay for the slip. My charter boat is in a 38' slip even though it's only 35' boat. That's what the slip holds; that's what they're going to charge me for it.

My 45' trawler will be in a very nice 50' floating dock slip (different marina) this summer. It's the only floating dock the marina has and they save many of these slips for large transients who will pay a premium for a floating dock slip. To get the slip, I had to pay for it in December, seasonal rate for a 50' boat. That's the deal, take it or leave it. Now if you stretch a tape measure from my bow pulpit to the swim platform, it would measure about 52'. So I'm not complaining.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Some marina's just take your word for it. If you say you have a Gofast 35 they charge you for 35'.

Others will quiz you when you say that. They will typically ask what is the overall length including bowsprit and swim platform and charge you accordingly, but they do not measure.

But the absolute worst was a Long Beach California marina which has very few transients. They send a crew out with a tape measure and get the exact length. If you are 1" over the maximum allowed length for a given slip they won't let you dock there.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Agree it varies by marina. Some of the places up north in PNW that do only transient on side ties get very particular and will jam boats anchor to stern with little room between and if they get a few boats a little longer than stated they can lose a spot that has been reserved. So every inch of length is accounted for.
That is my experience too. Trust, but verify. Out comes the surveyor's wheel...

At my home marina, we pay OA length or slip length, whichever is longer.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our marina charges by the length of the slip and the footprint of the boat. They used to charge by slip length only but the trend now in this area is to include the boat's footprint in the formula. I was told this is partly due to a lot of newer, fatter sailboats (and power boats sometimes) making it impossible to put two boats into a slip.

As far as visting marinas during a cruise, we always say the make, model, and model length when we make the reservation or call prior to arrival. To date, every place we've gone in the last 16 years has accepted that and charged us accordingly even though the model length does not include the swimstep, pulpit, or any aft-mounted dinghies. Nobody has ever come out with a tape measure or measuring wheel.

The situation may have been different if we did not have a very common production boat model to this area.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #12

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
As a transient I've been taken at my word all but one time (in Bamfield, B.C.). The harbormaster walked the length of my boat and said I owed for an additional 2' (this in a 22' C-Dory).

My boat says Nordic Tugs 37 on the side, but it's really a few inches shy of 40', plus the dinghy on the swim step. Probably 43' or 44' overall, though I've never actually measured. Nobody complains about my boat in a 38' slip with 6' of allowable overhang.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I agree with a previous post that the answer will be: there is no consensus or common practice. At our home marina we pay for a slip by size of the slip, not the size of the boat, however, then we have a 10% rule -- a boat can exceed the length of a slip by 10%. In other words in our 36' slip we can have a max boat of 39' 6" -- but when it comes to measuring, they usually use the builder's model number/length, they don't actually measure anything. (Our 32 Carver is really 36 with the swim step and bow pulpit. Our new Mainship 37 will really stretch the +10% limit of that 36' slip, but the marina manager says it's close enough.) In all the transient slips we've ever used though, we've never been measured -- but then we've never stayed in a super high-end marina like in California or Newport.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:49 AM   #14
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Ours is via the size of berth you take, so if you have a 36' footer on a 40' berth you pay the 40' rate.

Same here except I'm in a covered and enclosed berth. If the door cannot close you get the next size up and pay for it. Transient side ties locally takes your stated length in my experience.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I got a longer/wider berth at no extra cost because a "proper" sized berth couldn't handle my boat's 4-minus-foot draft. ... A marina with double-digit vacancy has certain advantages.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 AM   #16
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Ditto here for slip charge - End docks are by measured foot though.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 AM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Ditto here for slip charge - End docks are by measured foot though.
Art, which marina are you located? And can you forgive me for asking? Send PM if needed.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Most marinas ask and we tell them 43'. Wesport, WA went off the vessel documentation. We have been measured only twice to confirm the length and both times were in in Southern California.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #19

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
If they charge by the foot, I give them the number on the side of the boat. If they charge by the season, I simply make sure the boat can fit into the slip. I've been in marina' where you can't extend beyond the pilings, or 'n' feet beyond the pilings in others. In those cases either you fit or you don't. I have been measured for winter storage. I saw a guy try to get into a transient slip where there were several boats side tied to the dock. The capt. gave the number on the side of the boat. When they tried to parallel park him, the dock attendants called him on the actual size of the vessel when they couldn't fit him in his spot.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
As far as visting marinas during a cruise, we always say the make, model, and model length when we make the reservation or call prior to arrival. To date, every place we've gone in the last 16 years has accepted that and charged us accordingly even though the model length does not include the swimstep, pulpit, or any aft-mounted dinghies. Nobody has ever come out with a tape measure or measuring wheel.

The situation may have been different if we did not have a very common production boat model to this area.

Building on this, though... and as Shrew just reported...

There's at least one local destination marina in this area where telling them actual length is necessary. This is a museum dock, nominally four 50' side tie-ups. In this case, it's not particularly a cost issue, but rather a viability issue.

Our boat is nominally 42' but actually 46'1" counting pulpit and swim platform -- and then another couple feet longer in reality because our dinghy hangs off the stern on a cantilever mount.

At this particular marina, I've been in one of those 50' face dock "slips" with about a (one, single) foot to spare, that spare foot being between our swim platform and boat aft's swim platform... and with our pulpit over the boat ahead's swim platform. Were I to tell them a lower number, they may well allow another boat to take up more than 50' along there and I'd be out of luck.

BTW, we pulled off a very elegant docking maneuver when we entered that particular time, warping in on a spring line. The Hinckley skipper behind and the Viking skipper ahead were both watching closely, standing by to "help" (meaning protect their boats) -- but I love it when a plan comes together!

-Chris

Tags
boat length, loa, marina fees, slip fees