Does your marina...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My marina charges by the slip size with a surcharge for any overhang. My Bayliner 4788 is 47 feet at the waterline for the hull, plus two feet or so for the swim platform, plus nearly four feet for the bowsprit. I would not have been allowed in my 50-foot slip!

I had the bowsprit removed, put in an anchor roller (I think that is what it's called) and now I am exactly fifty feet.

The employees of the marina are super-diligent about verifying the length of every boat, permanent and transient.

What are the pros and cons of having a bowsprit? Any reason not to remove it?

Sorry for the thread drift.

Days of yore bow sprits were needed on sailing ships. For much on commercial boat items they can be very handy. On the occasional pleasure boat it may be needed.

IMHO - Bowsprits are simply added length and something more to be a maneuvering problem in close quarters of boat handling.

That said... they can look good. :thumb:

And, for ego reasons... "Just how long is your sprit!" :facepalm: :rofl:

Are we talking bow sprits, or bow pulpits? We took our bow pulpit off to get it re-glassed and the roller replaced - the boat looked stubby without it, looked just awful until that pulpit was replaced. We need ours for anchor deployment too, not just looks. I know some owners do it to save a few bucks or to meet slip eligibility, but amputating part of your boat (unless you have no choice) always seemed pretty severe to me.

What are the pros and cons of having a bowsprit? Any reason not to remove it?

Sorry for the thread drift.

Bowsprit moves the anchor(s) further away from the bow when hauling the anchor. This can be beneficial when retrieving in waves as it reduces the risk of the anchor striking the bow. If your bow has a sharp rake obviously the risk is less than if you have more of a dead rise bow. Also it is very common to have a Bowsprit if you have dual anchor roads, such as my boat.

Ted

On my 4788 it just added nearly four feet to the LOA. Good for bragging rights, but as others noted, not so good when you are paying for slip space. I have had no issues with our new setup, and we like the look of our boat better than before!

Bow sprits and bow pulpits are two entirely different things. Not very many recrational cruising boats have bow sprits. But a huge majority of recreational cruising boats, sportfishermen, etc. have bow pulpits.

Below is the bow of our boat. The extension is a pulpit, not a bowsprit.

So which one is being talked about in this thread in terms of removing it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
http://www.seatalk.info/cgi-bin/nautical-marine-sailing-dictionary/db.cgi?db=db&view_records=1&uid=default&Term=bowsprit&submit=Look+it+up%21

Pulpit:

A lookout position featuring a secure railing extending over the bow of sport fishing boats and on the bowsprit of some sailboats. Fishermen use the pulpit as a harpoon position. Sailers use the pulpit to tend sails.

Bowsprit:

A sturdy spar projecting forward over the bow to which the forestay is fastened providing a wide bearing angle for support of the mast, and offering additional space on which sails can be rigged.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom