Dockmaster Help in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Promissory lien was in effect the moment the boat docked by Florida law.
Well if there is no signed dockage agreement , then no one has proof that there was an agreement to anything. So I would think a lien on hearsay means nothing. But at the extreme measure any court will need some form of proof.

would think slip assignment, control and fees would be EXACTLY the dockmasters job.....

Yup, perhaps fuel dock, assist in tying up but, this case requires the board's input and guidance.

Not without legal advice. That can be highly illegal and at the very least make you liable for any damage. That's something landlords have tried and lost big time in doing so.

Unless the boat owner is living on the boat, I don’t see any problem with turning off power and water particularly if the boat owner can’t produce any agreement that gives him those privileges.

Good answer. You don’t want a dead beat to have to deal with ad Infinitum.

Bingo!
You have a golden opportunity here.
What you did not mention is that Hurricane Irma “Damaged” the dock that he is tied to. In order to protect his boat during “repairs” you had to move it.
Problem Solved.

Dont do anything without the board's approval unless you want to be unemployed.

UPDATE:

We got him moved to his "new" dock so the transient docks are not an issue. He promises to pay next week.

So, the big issue solved. Now gotta work on the money.....

UPDATE:

We got him moved to his "new" dock so the transient docks are not an issue. He promises to pay next week.

And the written agreement.

UPDATE:

Great, glad you were successful

Progress,well done. Is the promise to pay next week in writing?
Odd he can`t pay right away, having withheld payment. Always good if he nominates when he can pay, then if he misses, it`s the payment date he nominated that he missed.

UPDATE:

What a relief! Hope the agreement is followed through.

So, what was the mechanism that brought the cure?

Attachments

• wimpy.jpg
    wimpy.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 261
What a relief! Hope the agreement is followed through.

So, what was the mechanism that brought the cure?

Mark,

I had some guys in black suits and dark glasses meet him one night in the alley and threaten to break his knuckles with their bolt cutters......

Actually, one of the board members talked to him. Nothing in writing regarding the past due amounts.

The BIG issue is that there's not one person in control, which should be me. They've had a hard time reliquinshing control and too many under the table agreements with friends. We're trying to cure that.

It's too bad. It's a great club but very poorly run, and obvious. But most clubs are like that.

The BIG issue is that there's not one person in control, which should be me. They've had a hard time reliquinshing control and too many under the table agreements with friends. We're trying to cure that.

It's too bad. It's a great club but very poorly run, and obvious. But most clubs are like that.

Like many businesses and even more sports teams, they hire (or select) someone to do a job, but then won't just let them do it. Must meddle.

Is the former officer still a member? Must be some relationship there with your tenant. Since the club member put the monkey on your back, might try returning the rascal and let him deal with it.

Good ides, but once that happens we all end up in court and both sides loose. The guy owes $800 and the attorney would cost more than that. Will check to see if one of our members is an attorney and can give advise.

Hoping for a better solution.

Just because you talk to a lawyer does not mean one has to go to court. The lawyer is there to tell your options and provide information on the law. Talking to a lawyer does not mean one is going to court.

Over the years we have talked to a few lawyers regarding issues we were having, and while we were upfront on asking how much the lawyers service cost and our expectation of a bill, we never got a bill for simple advice/information.

Lawyers are people, and like people, some lawyers are really awful individuals. Of the different lawyers we have talked to over the years, we would only label one a scum bag. The vast majority have been very helpful, and very surprisingly, did not bill us when they certainly should have had us pay for their time.

Later,
Dan

Don't get too worked up on how the club operates, will take away what you enjoy most which is being on the water. I found the deeper I was involved with the club the more hassles I had and less enjoyment on the boat. Think silent partner....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom