Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
Cuttyhunk and Hadley Harbor

Just added a couple short notes from our recent visit to Cuttyhunk and Hadley Harbor to our blog, mvprivateer.com ,should anyone be interested.

SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

City: Ridgefield
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorGreg View Post
Just added a couple short notes from our recent visit to Cuttyhunk and Hadley Harbor to our blog, mvprivateer.com ,should anyone be interested.

Thanks, thatís a voyage weíve been wanting to do. Appreciate it.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
One of our favorites too, with Tarpaulin Cove thrown in between the two.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Thanks SailorGreg!

We are heading to both of those places, for the first time, in the next few weeks. We're actually going to be in Newport for the last few days of our month-long cruise.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 AM   #5

City: Mystic
Hadley Harbor isn't one of my faves, I don't trust the mooring balls in a blow, and when the air is still it's a bit fetid in the summer. Cutty is Great! I prefer to stay on a ball outside of the harbor when the wind is from the south. Be sure to have breakfast at the Fishing Club. On occasion you can get fresh swordfish at the dock, lobster pretty regularly. If you are going to stroll through the brush at Cutty or Tarpaulin do a thorough tick check afterward. Oh, Cutty charges $5 per bag for garbage. Tarpaulin can be a rough ride if the wind is coming from the south or east overnight. Barge Beach on Cutty is pretty cool.
Rkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

City: Narragansett Bay
Sailor Greg. Happened to pick your “Privateer” hat out last Saturday at the Swiss Village in Newport. You can’t hide in this world anymore
Easting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
Shrew,
Sounds like a good trip. If you have any questions you can PM me. I agree with the other comments that it could get a bit still and hot in Hadley. In those conditions, the outer harbor might be better. We have anchored there in the past. Some boat wake from Woods Hole gets in. As to the moorings, I drove around in my dinghy and looked at a few of them. Mine had a new pendant above with a 5/8" Yale mooring line (a little light for a boat my size) with 1/2" chain below. Pendant still had the label so had been replaced recently. So apparently someone is maintaining them. Other pendants i looked at were older, but heavier and looked to be in good shape. No idea what is on the bottom. None of the pendants had chafe protection at the boat end so one might find one sawed through by prior misuse. Would be good if any TF ers have experience with any of these moorings failing in a blow.
The moorings at Cuttyhunk have a PVC upright 4' shaft that presents the end of the pendant, which is protected by a metal thimble. When you grab it, you can lift it higher with some effort when attaching, but only a few feet. Mine was new and looked like 7/8" or so. I saw some folks had wrapped a rag around the thimble as, in some conditions, the end of the upright shaft can bang against the hull.
Unlike Hadley, Cuttyhunk can get pretty rough if the wind moves N so I would be looking for something more substantial here than in Hadley. I didn't inspect any other moorings in the other fields. We do not fit inside. If you stay on either outside mooring field, you might want to select one or the other based on wind and wave protection.

SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote