Cruising the TN-Tombigbee rivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparks5501

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Roundabout
Vessel Make
2000 Donzi Z275
Getting ready to go on the TN-Tombigbee river. Any tips and advice on where to go and what to do would be helpful. This will be our first river trip.

Getting ready to go on the TN-Tombigbee river. Any tips and advice on where to go and what to do would be helpful. This will be our first river trip.

What is your starting point? How long do you have? Where do you want to end up?

This spring I did that trip from Chattanooga to Mobile Bay (and beyond.) I made a little side blog about it on my boat site, if you're interested.

This spring I did that trip from Chattanooga to Mobile Bay (and beyond.) I made a little side blog about it on my boat site, if you're interested.
Thank you Capt Tom, I will check it out. Appreciate the info. Always enjoy learning from others experiences. Looking forward to making a dream come true [emoji305]

Portland, TN

Hello,

While I don't have any advice on the Tombigbee, I noticed you are from Portland, TN. My wife, Deborah, and I are also from Portland and hope to do the Loop next year. We finally found "the boat" and just brought her to Cherokee Marina a couple of weeks ago. Are you two doing the Loop now?

Regards,
Walt & Deborah Gunter
42' Jefferson Sundeck - Justified

Haven't done it yet. Pm me and I will send you my phone number. Would enjoy talking bc with you and meeting you too.

I am very interested please share. I am starting that same route in 2 weeks.

The link is right there in the quote you posted. It's was a fun trip, very different from what I'm used to.

The link is right there in the quote you posted. It's was a fun trip, very different from what I'm used to.
Was it your choice to go short daily legs on Tennessee/Tombigbee rivers?

Was it your choice to go short daily legs on Tennessee/Tombigbee rivers?

Wifey B: Don't know his reasoning but you have several lakes on the TN River in that stretch and I'd consider Guntersville, Wheeler State Park, Florence and then Aqua or another marina on Pickwick to be places I'd want to include. You are also subject to locks on the TN river and can encounter delays.

On the TN Tom, we went Pickwick, Fulton, Columbus, Demopolis, Dog River, but most would add a couple of stops, which is what he did. :)

Question along this route:
If one were in Nashville, how much time would they want to allow to get to Joe Wheeler in Rogersville, AL?

Allowing for stops and fun along the way, and locks. Are there many locks?

Also, looks like one would have to go back up Lake Barkely and Down the Kentucky lake, about 381 miles.

Question along this route:
If one were in Nashville, how much time would they want to allow to get to Joe Wheeler in Rogersville, AL?

Allowing for stops and fun along the way, and locks. Are there many locks?

Also, looks like one would have to go back up Lake Barkely and Down the Kentucky lake, about 381 miles.

You'd be talking 5 locks.

From Nashville, you might stop at Clarksville, but mostly just a river run and perhaps anchoring out on Barkley. I'd definitely go to Green Turtle Bay. Then on Kentucky Lake a couple of very nice Kentucky State Parks. Perhaps a night at Kentucky Dam and then one at Paris Landing. A lot of area to explore. Next the Pickwick area for a day or two, then Florence, then on to Wheeler.

I'd say minimum of 7 days and to enjoy perhaps 7 days travel, 7 days not traveling. One could spend as long as an entire season.

You'd be talking 5 locks.

From Nashville, you might stop at Clarksville, but mostly just a river run and perhaps anchoring out on Barkley. I'd definitely go to Green Turtle Bay. Then on Kentucky Lake a couple of very nice Kentucky State Parks. Perhaps a night at Kentucky Dam and then one at Paris Landing. A lot of area to explore. Next the Pickwick area for a day or two, then Florence, then on to Wheeler.

I'd say minimum of 7 days and to enjoy perhaps 7 days travel, 7 days not traveling. One could spend as long as an entire season.

Thx BandB,

Good info. I've been to all the Ky state parks in the area, and agree, they are great. However, will try Clarksville, Green Turtle and Paris Landing (where I have a brother).

Re: Green Turtle... is that an area or just a stop at the marina? Looks nice, and I might have been there before, but years ago, so don't remember a thing.

Thx BandB,

Good info. I've been to all the Ky state parks in the area, and agree, they are great. However, will try Clarksville, Green Turtle and Paris Landing (where I have a brother).

Re: Green Turtle... is that an area or just a stop at the marina? Looks nice, and I might have been there before, but years ago, so don't remember a thing.
If you stop at Paris Landing let us know, we're on A dock .

Absolutely amazing blog. I am going the same route starting June 9th 2018. I have to bring my trawler to Maryland. My trip is going to be a move and not a vacation. Thinking even going through the night. Any thoughts? Any advise always appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom