Covered in-water storage, Va-NC area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlinmike

Guru
Rather then haul and wrap for the winter, was toying with the idea of storing our boat further south, figured Virginia - North Carolina area. I'm not really looking to go cruising in the dead of winter, but if I can stretch a bit of the season in a new place and maybe earlier then normal would be nice to cruise another area for a while.

Recommendations from the Trawler Forum brain trust would be appreciated!

Covered slips are virtually non-existent here in NC. You do get good days for cruising here and there. We liked being in Morehead City because we could head out to Cape Lookout for the weekend. But we do get winter....

NJjytvbdxRn_gTijkUWnEdfoLVJCh6qFHVJOEaTw83o=w455-h679-no

J_tXTz7Bz_s61p8mVpV21zDNqrPVINGcH2Z9tTMXeZA=w1015-h679-no

Greetings,
AYB (Atlantic Yacht Basin) in Chesapeake VA. has covered storage. Excellent wood shop. Mechanic, not so much...

AYB is a great place, but a long way time wise from anywhere you want to cruise you have to go through the bridge and lock and all the Norfolk bridges (happily the Steel Bridge the next one up from the lock is history) to get to the Chessie, and a slog on the ICW to get to Abelmarle Sound.

Not sure and will not agree, about the mechanic comment above. They once did a very big favor for me when my port side shifter locked up right at the Centerville bridge, for which I am forever grateful. RT, did you discuss this with Mr. Taylor? One of the most customer friendly guys I've run across. Or maybe we just caught him in a good mood, or you a bad one?

My experience with the mechanics at AYB was excellent.

Is AYB in Great Bridge (Chesapeake, Va)? That's the only covered slips that I know of.

Come to think of it, there's a marina in Suffolk that has covered slips and I've seen a few in northern Va/DC area. I wonder why they're not more available.

Yes, AYB is in Great Bridge, right on the south side of the bridge on the west bank of the ICW. I guess, but don't know, that the covered slip thing may have to do with a higher frequency of tropical storms. Other factors could be expense, ease of maximising slip space. You get up on the Chessie and they are much more common. The PO of my boat kept it under cover at Calvert in Solomons.

If living aboard, I don't think we'd like it, too dark.

OK scratch the North Carolina area, lower Chesapeake area? I see a bunch in Deltaville area...?

Wouldn't categorize it as a "hang up", but more of a preference given I would be some distance away and knowing snow ice are not filling the cockpit could be a good thing, but open to anyone's experiences as I posted it here to learn.
Thank you!

There are several marinas in Deltaville that offer covered slips. Norview, Chesapeake Yachting Center and Dozier's Regatta Point would be on my list, in no particular order.
We do have winter here.

Thanks bnoft, wasn't trying to get away from winter, but maybe steal a month on either end of it to cruise the area then bring it back to Long Island NY. Just toying with the idea, not sure if this will be totally feasible. Thanks to all who wrote in.

Back
Top Bottom