Old 02-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #1

City: Solomons Island, MD
Vessel Name: Heather Alyssa
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
Covered Slips 365 Days a year

Trawler Friends,

Iím trying to consider the pros and cons of putting my boat in a covered slip throughout the year.

Hereís how I see it. A covered slip to me (while a little more expensive), may prevent me from having to pull my boat out of the water for 25% of the year. I live off the Chesapeake Bay at Solomons Island. Iíd save on a haul out, shrink wrapping, and if i switch from single season to something longer lasting, I wouldnít have to pull my boat out of the water every year just to paint. With a yearly short haul to replace zincs and inspect running gear, what are your opinions? My gel coat should last longer out of the sun as well. I see many benefits.

I hear spiders can be an issue, possibly more aquatic life clogging strainers, and an obstructed view of my surroundings etc... but what else really detracts most of you from a covered slip aside from the increase in slip fee?

Iíd like to know what your opinions are?

Thank you.

Alex Cadiz
Mainship 350/390
Heather Alyssa
Solomons, Md

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8730.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	85180

HeatherAlyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Only thing I don’t like is that the boat is rather dark.
Dosn’t cost much more.
Do it

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Bohemia Bay
Vessel Name: Sugar
Vessel Model: Vripack 15m
On the Bohemia, spiders are defiantly a problem undercover. If you wash the boat once a week, it will keep them at bay. The darkness mentioned above could be a problem depending on the slip orientation. We actually get the sun rising over our bow and flooding the master with light through 2 deck hatches. The setting sun does a good job of lighting up the salon through the rear door as well as the aft deck. The pro's defiantly outweigh the con's.
Gotwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
My slip is covered and so is my car which I park right behind the boat. S. Louisiana sun on aluminum boat turns into an oven. Still hot underneath cover in the summer but so much better than full sunshine all day.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Given the choice, I would have a covered slip. That said, I would want to examine the slip (and building), and the neighbors. It may not be justifiable, but I fear a greater risk of fire in them. Also, I have stayed as a transient in a number of them. Some are weekend party centers. Finally, the amount of stuff that clutters the walkways can be an issue as many boat owners see the docks as covered storage. Lastly (really), check with the marina what the rules are. Barbecuing on the docks with gasoline powered boats around, makes me nervous.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I kept asking boat in a covered slip for over 20 years, all positive. No spiders, less maintance and boat was always cleaner.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Here in the PNW boats living in boat houses almost don’t age.
Boats living in covered moorage age much slower and stay cleaner
Boats living uncovered have the hardest life.

For me living on a boat in a boat house or in covered moorage makes no sense. While it might be cooler in summer, you pay it back in winter.

Again I am talking about life in the PNW.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I've bought 2 boats from owners that kept them in covered slips and they were in beautiful condition.
I like the sunshine but live up north. I would feel different further south. It is pretty cool on a rainy day... stayed at a covered slip on a summer cruise and enjoyed it.
As in boating... it's a compromise... there are + & -
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Like many others I think there are more positives than negatives. The spiders and where we are, the birds can make a mess but many have hung tarps or plastic above their boats and this seems to help substantially. If you have any canvas it will definitely last a lot longer. Go for it I would say.
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #10

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
My boat has been in a covered slip at Calvert Marina for 4 years, and there's nothing during that time that would cause me to look for an uncovered slip. The storm surge during big onshore winds that occasionally pass by raise the boat and may cause clearance concerns, but that's just something to deal with and not a significant issue. The water in the shed tends to be calmer and more likely to ice up but that hasn't been a concern either. When I was considering the slip during the winter of '15 before I brought the boat home, there was considerable ice in the slip and around the neighboring boats, but it hasn't happened since. I leave my boat in the water during the winter and haven't needed a bubbler. Another plus is that year-round liveaboards seem to prefer the shed, so there's usually someone around to keep an eye on things. If not liveaboards, then there's the ability to place wifi cameras or other sensors to keep a remote eye on things. Yes, it's darker, but that also means it's cooler during the summer months. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. If you can, do it.
GregBrannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
My boat has been in a covered slip at Calvert Marina for 4 years, and there's nothing during that time that would cause me to look for an uncovered slip. The storm surge during big onshore winds that occasionally pass by raise the boat and may cause clearance concerns, but that's just something to deal with and not a significant issue. The water in the shed tends to be calmer and more likely to ice up but that hasn't been a concern either. When I was considering the slip during the winter of '15 before I brought the boat home, there was considerable ice in the slip and around the neighboring boats, but it hasn't happened since. I leave my boat in the water during the winter and haven't needed a bubbler. Another plus is that year-round liveaboards seem to prefer the shed, so there's usually someone around to keep an eye on things. If not liveaboards, then there's the ability to place wifi cameras or other sensors to keep a remote eye on things. Yes, it's darker, but that also means it's cooler during the summer months. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. If you can, do it.

It just so happens that Iím looking at Calvert Marina as my choice. Thank you for that!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #12

Thank you all. Wonderful advise.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I'd only avoid a covered slip if we were living aboard under there for more than a couple weeks at a time.

Not that there aren't some increased risk due to roof collapses from snow or ice, or from fire.

When we bought or old Hatteras, it was kept in Calvert as well, up there on the north row next to Washburn's.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I'd only avoid a covered slip if we were living aboard under there for more than a couple weeks at a time.

Not that there aren't some increased risk due to roof collapses from snow or ice, or from fire.

When we bought or old Hatteras, it was kept in Calvert as well, up there on the north row next to Washburn's.

I wonder if the marina would be insured for something like that.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post

Just sent you an email Greg.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #16
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Covered, for sure.
My boat has been in a covered slip for the last 20 and for the first 9 of its 39 yrs. It looks more like it is 15 yrs old, but much of that may be style, as everyone knows that style is not being made any more.
Around SW BC, the saying is something like "pay for a shelter or pay for maintenance, it works out the same"
Not for living aboard though, unless you can easily slip out of your shelter when you want sunshine.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #17

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
We live in the 'covered corridor' across Tennessee and northern Miss and Ala. The difference in cosmetic maintenance between covered and non-covered is substantial, as are the opportunities for dock social activity. Spiders are an issue, as are birds attracted by spiders; so we spray regularly for spiders. In my area, covered slips typically cost 150-200% of uncovered, but worth it in my view.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
When they built my marina they considered the possibility of fire. In most marinas the flames run up under the roof then travel along the length of the roof and pretty soon the while damn thing is ablaze.

In my marina, if the fire runs up to the roof it can escape and isn't as likely to travel laterally and catch everyone's boat on fire. That vent line that runs along the ridge of the roof is supposed to prevent the flames from passing from one slip to the neighboring slips.

Spiders aren't a big problem, I use a spray called Home Defense from Ortho. I spray the docks, dock lines, cleats and most everything I can see and that prevents them from hanging out on my boat. They seem to like my neighbors' boats better.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
When they built my marina they considered the possibility of fire. In most marinas the flames run up under the roof then travel along the length of the roof and pretty soon the while damn thing is ablaze.

In my marina, if the fire runs up to the roof it can escape and isn't as likely to travel laterally and catch everyone's boat on fire. That vent line that runs along the ridge of the roof is supposed to prevent the flames from passing from one slip to the neighboring slips.

Spiders aren't a big problem, I use a spray called Home Defense from Ortho. I spray the docks, dock lines, cleats and most everything I can see and that prevents them from hanging out on my boat. They seem to like my neighbors' boats better.

Good advise. Iíll stock up on Ortho!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #20

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Heather Alyssa, for us getting the teak out of the direct sun was the primary concern. Daytime temps on the boat in the summer are cooler as well. Our open slip at the other marina had plenty of spiders. I use the same Ortho product as GFC.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote