Coeyman's versus Shady Harbor Marina(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilermaker75

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kimberly Dawn
Vessel Make
1984 Marine Trader 40 Sundeck Trawlet
Does anyone have experience having their boat hauled out, winterized, shrink wrapped and stored for the winter at either Coeyman's Landing Marine Services (on the Hudson River, in Coeymans, NY, just south of Albany, NY) or Donovan's Shady Harbor Marina (also on the Hudson River, in New Baltimore, NY, just south of Albany, NY)?

Those are the two marinas I have to choose between when I take my 1984 MT 40 Sundeck Trawler on its next "leg" of the America's Great Loop in mid-October, from Edgewater, MD to the Albany, NY area; their pricing is fairly comparable/competitive with each other.

Before making a final decision I just thought I'd ask if anyone had anything positive or negative to say about their experience with either marina. Thanks!

I stayed as a transient at Coeymans a couple of times in the past and they were always very friendly and accommodating. They were (and maybe still are) a family run marina.
Make sure either can lift your boat if you have not yet checked.
Good luck in your decision.

@Jay, thanks for your feedback/comment; I have confirmed that their travel lift can handle my MT 40 Sundeck Trawler.

@George, the Viking Boat Yard is 125+/- miles (2 days' cruising) south of the Albany, NY area. I'd rather have the boat at one of the two marinas mentioned above in my query, so when we leave the marina in the late-spring/early summer of 2020, we'll be only 25 miles (a half-day cruising) south of the Troy Federal Lock and Dam and the entrance to the New York State Canal System/Erie Canal (Mohawk River) at Waterford, NY.

@Jay, thanks for your feedback/comment; I have confirmed that their travel lift can handle my MT 40 Sundeck Trawler.

@George, the Viking Boat Yard is 125+/- miles (2 days' cruising) south of the Albany, NY area. I'd rather have the boat at one of the two marinas mentioned above in my query, so when we leave the marina in the late-spring/early summer of 2020, we'll be only 25 miles (a half-day cruising) south of the Troy Federal Lock and Dam and the entrance to the New York State Canal System/Erie Canal (Mohawk River) at Waterford, NY.

I understand, but there are lots of nice places to stop along the way... or are you planning to do that this fall on your way up there? The entire Hudson Valley is a cruising destination in and of itself, so take time to enjoy it!

Regardless, hope everything works out and you have a great time.

Here's an enthusiastic recommendation for Coeymans. We used them in 2015 when we ran our boat from Newport to Coeymans, for shipping to South Dakota. We chose them not knowing anything about them other than they were a former Mainship dealer and we heard they knew our model very well (and that was true). They did a fantastic job. We pulled up to the fuel dock, took all our luggage off the boat, tossed them the keys and flew home. They hauled the boat, removed the entire flybridge cowling, all the canvas and frames, the helm dashboard and controls, the aft deck roof, radar arch and all the electronics to get it all down to shipping height (it's a very tall boat), built cradles for everything, marked all the wiring. Loaded the boat on the 18-wheeler, shrink-wrapped it, cushioned a lot of the moving stuff, taped the drawers and doors closed. Because they were experts and good boat mechanics are so rare in South Dakota, we also had them recondition the props, install a new aft A/C and fix a few other things. They sent me photos every day by text message of the work progress. Did the whole thing for a very reasonable price, well under five figures as I recall. Very friendly, we couldn't have been happier. The only issue I might mention was the remote location -- that was just before Uber and Lyft exploded so maybe it's not an issue now, but ground transportation was an issue. Luckily we had a friend who sent a car, but it's kind of out in the woods outside a small town.

We also stayed at Shady Harbor one night. Beautiful marina, very helpful and friendly marina staff, decent ship's store (I remember they had a replacement water supply inlet I needed). One of the best restaurant meals we had the whole trip on their outside deck overlooking the river. Nice pool, good laundry, pretty good showers. Didn't have any service work done but we had a good time there. Had a great time generally on the Hudson.

So, from the many comments my take is both marinas are good choices. But, next summer on our way to cruise the New England coast we are first going up the Hudson to Shady Harbor for the pig roast.

I'm at Coeymans, very nice place and they really take great care of you and your boat. Atleast for me they did a lot better job winterizing and blocking my boat than at Shady Harbor. I can't prove anything but a few years ago while at Shady Harbor I had 80 gallons of fuel removed from the boat during winter storage.

So, from the many comments my take is both marinas are good choices. But, next summer on our way to cruise the New England coast we are first going up the Hudson to Shady Harbor for the pig roast.

Never stopped by Shady Harbor due to ignorance of the pig roast, which is the type of thing that often earns our business.

We always made a point of going up the Hudson going and coming from New England, even if sometimes it was only as far as Kingston/Rondout (liked the town) or Catskill (very pretty). Coeyman's seemed like a nice place but we just did a quick overnight. Seeing the Hudson Valley in spring then in fall by boat is just spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom