Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #41
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Gentle cleaning, not vigorous cleaning. If paint in good condition requires more than a piece of carpet or a white pad to clean it, you've waited too long and will be removing paint unnecessarily.

It ain't rocket science folks.
Wifey B: Don't you guys get it? Be gentle to her and she'll reward you.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #42
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,505
"The "slime reduction" ingredient in Pettit Trinidad SR (Irgarol) is no longer available"
They changed to a different approach. They put PTFE in to make it slippery.

"Interlux Micron 66 never had such an ingredient."
Yes it does, always has.


"I thought you were a paint dealer- shouldn't you know this stuff?"
I do know my stuff. Apparently you don't.


"If you're going to get the boat scrubbed every month, why bother with bottom paint?"
"I suggest you give it a try and let us know how that works out for you. "

Why would I do that? I use good paint and don't need a diver for more than a year.
__________________

__________________
Parks Masterson
www.hopkins-carter.com
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"Interlux Micron 66 never had such an ingredient."
Yes it does, always has.
I will stand corrected on this point. Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol. Again however, Irgarol is currently no longer being manufactured.
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Vashon_Trawler's Avatar
 
City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 426
Similiar to other members who responded, my boat's bottom is cleaned monthly and throughout the year. She could probably use more frequent cleanings during the warm summer months. I've been using Pettit Trinidad for a few years and am pleased with the results. I could probably get two years out of a bottom job but I haul the boat out annually to have the bottom inspected, pressure washed, lightly sanded, and painted.
__________________
“Go small, go simple, go now”
― Larry Pardey, Cruising in Seraffyn
Vashon_Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #45
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
I used Petit Trinidad SR77 on the recommendation of their website, my diver and my marina manager. It was applied in May, 2010 and I am just now having it redone. That seems pretty good to me.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #46
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Then there is always the Barnacle Zapper. Yes, there really is such a thing.

Barnacle Zapper- Ultrasonic Antifouling

I have no idea if it works or any issues. $1999 for a unit and two transducers. Definitely an intriguing prospect though.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Then there is always the Barnacle Zapper. Yes, there really is such a thing.

Barnacle Zapper- Ultrasonic Antifouling

I have no idea if it works or any issues. $1999 for a unit and two transducers. Definitely an intriguing prospect though.
There are many ultrasonic anti fouling systems available. None of them replace anti fouling paint, they all are used in conjunction with it. My personal opinion is that if these things performed as advertised, we'd see them on every chandlery shelf. But we don't. In my 21 years in the biz and 25,000 boats cleaned, I have yet to come across one in use.
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #48
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There are many ultrasonic anti fouling systems available. None of them replace anti fouling paint, they all are used in conjunction with it. My personal opinion is that if these things performed as advertised, we see them on every chandlery shelf. But we don't. In my 21 years and 25,000 boats cleaned, I have yet to come across one in use.
I haven't either. They do have some in actual use in South Florida. Wonder how much of that was promotional installations rather than normal sales. You would have expected they would have installed some in their local area as tests.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Ultrasonic systems were installed on two actively campaigned J/120 raceboats here in the Bay Area a year or two ago (neither boat was serviced by me.) Both owners were unsatisfied enough with their performance to remove them, according to the owner of the local J/Boat dealership (whose boats I do service.)
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #50
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I will stand corrected on this point. Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol. Again however, Irgarol is currently no longer being manufactured.
Actually I believe he corrected you on 3 points.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Actually I believe he corrected you on 3 points.
HopCar cannot "correct" my statements if they were not incorrect.

I will always admit it if I make a misstatement. I was wrong about Irgarol not being an ingredient in Micron 66. Otherwise, everything I wrote can be taken as gospel.
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #52
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Wifey B: That's the problem with gospel. There are too many different preachers all with their own interpretation.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Facts are not open to interpretation.
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #54
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,505
"Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol."
No it's not.
__________________
Parks Masterson
www.hopkins-carter.com
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol."
No it's not.
Well, no offense, but yes it is.

Bottom paints containing Irgarol are usually marketed as having a boosting agent that enhances the paint’s protection against algae, soft growth, or “slime." Interlux’s Micron Extra with Biolux, Pettit’s slime-resistant “SR” formulas such as Trinidad SR... are examples of these paints.

Bottom Paint Makers face Irgarol Shortage - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #56
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
HopCar cannot "correct" my statements if they were not incorrect.

I will always admit it if I make a misstatement. I was wrong about Irgarol not being an ingredient in Micron 66. Otherwise, everything I wrote can be taken as gospel.
Your statement about Interlux paint was incorrect.

Your statement about the need for monthly cleanings was incorrect. In many cases at least.

And your statement about him needed to try it out and see what happens was incorrect. Since it appears that is just what he is doing now. And he doesn't see the need for monthly cleanings.

So there's your 3.

Your gospel may apply in SF but that doesn't make it a universal truth.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Your statement about the need for monthly cleanings was incorrect. In many cases at least.

And your statement about him needed to try it out and see what happens was incorrect. Since it appears that is just what he is doing now. And he doesn't see the need for monthly cleanings.
Well chief, in your rush to prove me wrong, you failed to comprehend most of what I wrote and a fair amount of what HopCar wrote, as well. I never made a blanket statement about the need for monthly cleanings. And when HopCar implied that with monthly cleanings, no anti fouling paint is necessary, my rejoinder was meant to infer that without anti fouling paint, even monthly cleanings wouldn't suffice. Further, HopCar is not going without anti fouling paint, as you claim. He is happy with the product he is using, apparently to the point of feeling he needs annual cleanings only.
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #58
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Well chief, in your rush to prove me wrong, you failed to comprehend most of what I wrote and a fair amount of what HopCar wrote, as well. I never made a blanket statement about the need for monthly cleanings. And when HopCar implied that with monthly cleanings, no anti fouling paint is necessary, my rejoinder was meant to infer that without anti fouling paint, even monthly cleanings wouldn't suffice. Further, HopCar is not going without anti fouling paint, as you claim. He is happy with the product he is using, apparently to the point of feeling he needs annual cleanings only.
Looking back your right. I miss read it. Mea culpa.

But I wasn't claiming he didn't have bottom paint. I was pointing out he did have bottom paint and didn't see the need to have his bottom cleaned monthly.

Monthly cleanings of painted bottoms just are not universally needed.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
fstbttms's Avatar
 
City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

Monthly cleanings of painted bottoms just are not universally needed.
I never said they were. Never said it, never implied it.
__________________
Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #60
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Wifey B: Methinks some bottoms could use cleaning. Maybe some boats too.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012