Clean Bath Rooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my marina, bathrooms are private for marina tenant but they're out the gate so homeless forced doors to use hot water, have sex and use drugs...
Few months ago, I was beating for a homeless high on drugs for tried to avoid use our showers. Lesson learned... I do not use marina bathroom any more, use boat head and if I need to use marina, I go with my best friend, a concealed cal .40

On my marina, bathrooms are private for marina tenant but they're out the gate so homeless forced doors to use hot water, have sex and use drugs. ..

My marina is set up the same and the restrooms have push button locks on the doors but the other marina customers don't shut the doors so the locks are ineffective.

I, like a few others, am really surprised at the number of people who seem to fear public or semi public restrooms.

Facilities
Oriental Marina: Great facilities
Caspers: Decent facilities
Hampstead Yacht Harbor: Great
Bridgetender: Bad or non-existant
Southport Marina: Great facilities
Barefoot Landing Marina: Good facilities
Georgetown Harbor Walk: Great
Isle of Palms: Good
St John Yacht Club: Great
Kilkenny Creek: Ugly and carry uncle S & W
Hidden Harbor: Unique but clean (Outside shower) Fantastic clean restrooms
Fernandina: Good
St Augustine Municipal: Good
Sunshower on sundeck: Priceless

More good experiences than bad. All first hand and not anecdotal.

Barefoot Landing Marina: Good facilities

You must be thinking of "Barefoot Marina". Barefoot Landing Marina (just a dock, really) has no facilities of its own, you walk to the restrooms in the mall. No showers, public restrooms but kept clean by the mall staff.

Barefoot Marina is on the other side of the ICW and has very nice facilities.

If you guys are not liking marina facilities... boat yard facilities are FAR FAR FAR FAR worse! Eagads!

I will reserve judgement of individual marinas, but there are both very good and very bad here in NC. And more importantly, there is no correlation between the marina price and the quality of the restroom facilities.

Gulfport Marina (MS) has first class facilities reserved only for marina use. Washer/Dryer area very clean with combination access on both. However, I do not use these facilities...I have them on board. I know who uses the heads/showers on my boat. In fact the master head is used only by my wife and I...forward head by guests. Pump out is right on the side of our pier...easy. I carry 3 sets of sheets/pillow cases and the same in bath towels. Bring dirty laundry home after a trip and return clean set(s) on next trip. Works for us.

You must be thinking of "Barefoot Marina". Barefoot Landing Marina (just a dock, really) has no facilities of its own, you walk to the restrooms in the mall. No showers, public restrooms but kept clean by the mall staff.

Barefoot Marina is on the other side of the ICW and has very nice facilities.

The west side of ICW; was hunting and pecking too quickly.:facepalm:

Glad I have a good immune system.....

Probably from all those dirty bathrooms and laundries I used as a kid....

And never any shower shoes.

In addition to all the latrines, sewage filled basements I pumped out, being the one to clean those crap filled bathrooms, etc...etc....

I enjoy clean ones, but filth doesn't bother me.

Guess I always accepted the fact that some days I might be up to my eyeballs in gosh know what.

Glad I have a good immune system.....

Probably from all those dirty bathrooms and laundries I used as a kid....

And never any shower shoes.

In addition to all the latrines, sewage filled basements I pumped out, being the one to clean those crap filled bathrooms, etc...etc....

I enjoy clean ones, but filth doesn't bother me.

Guess I always accepted the fact that some days I might be up to my eyeballs in gosh know what.

I can understand all those except the one I'd warn against is using a public shower barefoot. Two things to fear. Athlete's foot is the minor one. MRSA is the major one. More risk of getting it in a hospital, but still a risk in any locker room or shower used by others.

I know of one marina, 5-star reviews, great customer service, etc. But there's ONE shower stall. More like a large closet with a large opening, but no door and no curtain. It's in an even larger room with a tiled floor. At least that room has a door with a privacy lock. Also in that room is the only washer and dryer. You can't shower when someone's doing laundry, and vice-versa. Unless you know each other pretty well.

Then there are the marinas with pay showers, but un-metered water and electric included in the rates. Huh? I'll heat their water with their electric and take a long, hot shower on my boat, thank you.

I look at showering barefoot the same as going anywhere else barefoot, which I prefer if I can. Unless the shower is visibly dirty. Then again, I get up early, so I'm usually in the shower while it's still relatively clean.

What I don't like is a shower with no way to keep the water in the stall. It's hard to get dressed when your feet are wet. Even worse if all your clothes and towels get wet. It's no fun doing the one-footed dance, keeping my one dry foot on top of a shoe, or the other tricks we're forced to perform in a wet stall.

I was thinking a roll of butcher's brown waxed paper would work as a disposable dry floor covering, for those times the person before you didn't close the shower curtain properly.

I had athletes foot on and off, pretty severe probably for 15 years when an athelete.

Hardly something to fear, annoying yes.

Mersa, only a million other places to get it too.

I had athletes foot on and off, pretty severe probably for 15 years when an athelete.

Hardly something to fear, annoying yes.

Mersa, only a million other places to get it too.

And, I've avoided athlete's foot and prefer to keep it that way.

If you wore shower shoes back when I was an athlete, the beatings and hazing were far worse.:D

Guess those days are long gone....:thumb:

If you wore shower shoes back when I was an athlete, the beatings and hazing were far worse.:D

Guess those days are long gone....:thumb:

Yes. since all the major basketball shoe manufacturers sell them, they're common in NBA locker rooms. Foot care is very important to them.

Nike.jpg

For all the folks afraid to use public restrooms and showers, what did you do in school, hold it until you got home? And what about showering after gym class?

What about in the military? Or even if you're out shopping and have to go?

For all the folks afraid to use public restrooms and showers, what did you do in school, hold it until you got home? And what about showering after gym class?

I'm not sure anyone is saying they're afraid to use public, just that when given a choice they prefer not. We did wear flip flops into the shower in my high school. It was a rule. The question was at marinas and there I prefer to use the boat. I think those who use the facilities at the marina have good reasons themselves.

It's like eating at a fat (fast) food restaurant. Occasionally I will, but with proper planning, it can be avoided.

Ted

"783 million people do not have access to clean water and almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation. 6 to 8 million people die annually from the consequences of disasters and water-related diseases."

But at least they don't have to put up with sub standard public bathrooms!

Ed:it appears I may be somewhat grumpy this morning, but some posts in this thread seem to be more precious than a 16th century Ming Vase)

.... Reach the marina Saturday morning and everything is pristine clean, after a single night it is like a swine (is it the correct word?)...
The word is probably pig sty/pen. I think everyone got it anyway.

"783 million people do not have access to clean water and almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation. 6 to 8 million people die annually from the consequences of disasters and water-related diseases."

But at least they don't have to put up with sub standard public bathrooms!

Ed:it appears I may be somewhat grumpy this morning, but some posts in this thread seem to be more precious than a 16th century Ming Vase)

I think most of us would use a public bathroom or shower facility if given no other choice. Given a choice, I choose to use something cleaner. Sorry if you find my desire for an improved experience, offensive.

Have some coffee. :flowers:

Ted

Yes, that may sooth the savage beast. :blush:

Yes, that may sooth the savage beast. :blush:

There's no question this is a first world problem. We should all be aware of those who don't have sanitary conditions and who have their health threatened. However, the two issues don't connect. Whether OC Diver uses or doesn't use a public restroom has absolutely no bearing on those others. It's like my father telling me to eat my food because there were starving kids in China.

I will say this, as someone concerned with water quality and rest rooms and sanitation, I'm also very bothered by the horrible conditions those throughout the world face. My germ fear makes me even more sensitive to what they go through. Unfortunately, they aren't helped or hurt and could care less about whether I use a public restroom or shower.

If we're talking about long term seasonal rentals, we prefer renting slips at a dockominiums. The facilities are usually much nicer because it's an association of owners. Many dockominiums (the ones we've rented) don't rent transient slips. We take showers and use the facilities without any issues.

If we're talking about transient marinas renting for a day or two, then we have to acknowledge the paradox of chasing the marina with the lowest $/ft rate and then getting sketched out by the cleanliness of the facilities. We always look and decide whether we want to use the facilities or not.

I once stayed at a municpal marina tied to a park. They had 'Public' bathrooms and showers, and private for the marina. A slip neighbor kept complaining about how disgusting the bathrooms and showers were and couldn't believe we were using them. It took a while to realize he was using the public facilities, not the marina facilities.

Then there a question or standards. What one person calls 'acceptable' another may not. It's all relative.

Anyone can dirty a bathroom....

You never know till you go in.

Sure some hardly get cleaned and others 2X a day....but what was done in there, disgusting or not, is function of who was in there before you.

And money and education helps, but does guarantee a thing.

I think most of us would use a public bathroom or shower facility if given no other choice. Given a choice, I choose to use something cleaner.
Ted

Like, maybe your wet suit?:smitten::flowers:

Guess I'm a victim of my experience. After slit latrines and 30 years, off & on, in the "third world", I'm pretty good with the majority of marina facilities I encounter.

There are notable and unacceptable exceptions, and I spread that word by every means I have available. I have 2 heads/good showers, and use them as required. But, in general, I'd rather be underway than messing around with the 50% of pumpouts that are non-functional.

I know of one marina, 5-star reviews, great customer service, etc. But there's ONE shower stall. More like a large closet with a large opening, but no door and no curtain. It's in an even larger room with a tiled floor. At least that room has a door with a privacy lock. Also in that room is the only washer and dryer. You can't shower when someone's doing laundry, and vice-versa. Unless you know each other pretty well..

It often seems that people took leave of their common sense when designing things like that (and it's not just marinas). Management and owners should be forced to actually use facilities that they design. Maybe things would get better.

Greetings,
Thread drift...There's a theory that the reason kids now have so many allergies is parent's obsessions with germs. Everything has to be sterilized and wiped down before little junior can touch it. Heck, kids can't even eat bugs now...

Regarding public bathrooms. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go...

Totally agree. Not only have allergies but build up no resistance to colds, flu and other maladies. Handling money is more of a "filth" problem that using a decently maintained bathroom but I don't see too many folks wanting to give that up. If you do I'll be happy to have you let me take it off you hands. Given that I do prefer using my boats shower for simple convenience of doing so but when I'm in the club house I sure wouldn't walk all the way down to the boat to use the bathroom.

I wonder what the statistics are that show how many people died of infections from public bathrooms or hospitals.....

The only time we use a marina shower is when we are in the Bahamas.

Other than that we do everything on the boat. I'd rather pump or dump and use my own toilet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom