Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

City: Houston, TX
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 42
Chesapeake Bay North - SPIDERS!

I recently put my boat in a marina in northern reach of the Chesapeake Bay and am shocked by the invasion of spiders there. I have 2 questions for the forum: a) is there a good repellent that works on the outside of the boat. One product recommended I haven't tried yet is called talstar. and b) how far down the Bay do I need to go to get away from the spiders? Below Annapolis?
JESSEDIVER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Spiders are abundant at almost every dock I have been on North of Florida.
Home Defense by Ortho is a spider killer almost instantly, works fora week or so and then you need to apply again
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Greenbank, WA
I have no idea if it would work on a boat or on the east coast, but here in WA we have a farmhouse on acreage, and there are lots of spiders. We have the perimeter of the house treated monthly with a mixture of peppermint and rosemary oils (and I am not sure what else, but it is all organic) and it seems to work pretty well. Smells nice too. I don’t like the idea of harsh pesticides getting into our waterways . . .
Jknox0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We live on a river and have a huge problem with spiders. I spray a couple of times a year with Talstar. Seems to work pretty well. I spray inside the boat and outside but try not to spray the eisenglass. Not sure if it would hurt the eisenglass or not but don’t want to take a chance.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Spiders are abundant at almost every dock I have been on North of Florida.
Home Defense by Ortho is a spider killer almost instantly, works fora week or so and then you need to apply again

We got spiders on the dock in Florida too!
Old 08-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I forgot to mention that I spray everywhere on the dock that I can. We have low voltage lights along the dock which was drawing a lot of little flying bugs. I decided to turn off the lights and now we still have spiders but not nearly as many.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Same here on the Missouri River. I just hose them all off when I wash down the boat, and we keep one of those round telescoping dusters at the dock to remove all the webs. The people that do spray use Ortho Home Defense as one of the other posters mentioned. They say it works pretty well. I have mixed feelngs. I think the spiders do keep down a lot of the other flying bugs, and our boat is tight enough that the spiders almost never get inside.

Every summer we have a giant mayfly explosion for a few days. Swarms of mayflies, pretty gross. The spiders and fish have a feast. Our kids love swimming off the boat so given the choice, I guess I'd rather have them swimming with fish and bug bodies than a ton of pesticides. Click image for larger version

Name:	48844997-757e-4366-8301-2d7cfef15d3f_1.03d2efac3d3a1df2885c62bbab338908.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	91868
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I use “Bug Barrier” squirted the entire perimeter of my slip as well as around the cleats and on the lines to those cleats. Onthe boat itself, I go more natural with a mix of water, white vinegar, tea tree (anti mold), lavender, lemon, eucalyptus and Peppermint (for the bugs) I spray it all over and use it also on the inside of Bimini to ward off molds as well as bugs within the zipper enclosures
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

In Michigan we call May flies fish flies. We were in Tawas a couple of weeks ago and there was a hatch all three nights. I would take out Lab, Radar, out about 2 am for a poop run. He got onto the main dock where there is courtesy lighting. The fish flies were almost solid across the whole dock. He came to an abrupt stop, looked both ways and started picking his way through them trying not to step on them. It was hilarious. He zigzagged back and forth trying to find clear spots to step on. I was surprised that he even noticed them because when he is on a poop run not much distracts him.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Guru

Not sure why using pesticides means getting any ( maybe a tiny bit carried by wind) in the water. Being thoughtful and careful works for me.

Plus it's pretty rare on the Chesapeake or along the ACIW to find water free of pesticides with all the manicured lawns and golf courses along the way with runoff.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not sure why using pesticides means any or more than a tiny bit gets in the water if one thinks through the process and is careful.
Oh I know, I'm not a fanatic about it. Actually when I watch the boys fill their mouths with river water so they can spit/squirt at each other, I usually think of all the bilge water discharged in the marina. Or worse. Trace pesticide is the least of it. Builds up their immune systems.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
Guru

Depends on the chemicals...thought Home Defense was one of the lesser toxic brews to humans.

Can remember back to the misconceptions of DDT.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
Spiders are good! They save you time and money. Just pull into your slip and stop. The spiders will tie the boat up. You no longer have to waste money on dock lines!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
Guru

Quicker to tie up than wash spider poop off everything.

There is lots of spider habitat around...living without my boat won't crimp their ecosystem.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We found vacuuming them off just after dark then again the next night gets the remaining and keeps them gone for weeks.
That was Bohemia River, MD
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #16

City: Rock Hall, MD
In our previous boat kept in Northeast, MD, we had success with placing Bounce dryer sheets tucked into the underside of our canvas and around the inside of our cabin.
mrs_caldonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
Guru

Spiders are rare around the docks at our marina in Mystic. I think it's the salt water.
Where we get the boat hauled for winter is freshwater and they are very abundant.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #18

City: Houston, TX
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 42
thanks for all the inputs. I think I'll start off with talstar or ortho for one or two applications and then see if I can switch to one of the natural defense strategies. A general comment - this area, Charlestown - Northeast Maryland has more spiders in density than you can ever imagine. I can wash and scrub outside with soap & water entirely and with 24-48 hrs, the boat is full of webs and spiders. Fortunately, none inside. I have that under control. I appreciate what spiders do to keep the overall bug population in control but the "webs" and the black marks they make on the gelcoat are unacceptable.
JESSEDIVER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Well spiders can help keep the bug population under control somewhere else besides my boat. It is amazing the difference it made when I turned off the dock lighting so the bugs aren’t drawn to the boat. The spiders population has dropped dramatically.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Tracy's Landing MD
Vessel Name: Grand Marnier
Vessel Model: '91 Grand Banks 46 Classic
For what it's worth, I'm berthed about 20 miles south of Annapolis on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay, at Herrington Harbour North marina in Tracy's Landing. Not sure what the difference might be.. but we have a few spiders here and there, but nothing like an invasion
jdecris is offline   Reply With Quote