Old 04-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
First, it's never free....it's either included in other charges or charged for separately. It costs the marina to provide it. As to people leaving a marina over a $5 fee, that's their choice, but seems ludicrous to me. I'm only interested in total costs. Might find that avoiding a $5 pump out fee one pays an extra $0.20 per foot per night or $0.20 per gallon. But then pump out was "free." I am confused why one thinks they deserve anything free.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
They lost 100 bucks on fuel profit to collect 5 bucks. Virtually every other place around here is free.
Plus, they bumped their fuel price when a nearby place closed up. They want to make every penny they can? Fine. But they won't get mine nor that of many folks I've steered elsewhere.
Capitalism works both ways.
Toni
If I told other boaters not use a certain fuel dock because they charge $5 to pump out, I would be worried about what those folks would think of me.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Overboard discharge is free. In many coastal areas, that's what the pump-outs are competing with, and why there's often a real effort to keep the fee low. It's also why so many states and municipalities heavily subsidize it, or provide it for free.

I'm glad I don't hang out with anyone who would think less of me if I told them a way they can save a few bucks and support a business which is trying to keep prices reasonable for their customers.

We all vote with our wallets. Folks who take a "money is no object" approach are to blame for all the businesses who gouge their customers, yet still survive.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Overboard discharge is free. In many coastal areas, that's what the pump-outs are competing with, and why there's often a real effort to keep the fee low. It's also why so many states and municipalities heavily subsidize it, or provide it for free.

I'm glad I don't hang out with anyone who would think less of me if I told them a way they can save a few bucks and support a business which is trying to keep prices reasonable for their customers.

We all vote with our wallets. Folks who take a "money is no object" approach are to blame for all the businesses who gouge their customers, yet still survive.
You think $5 is gouging? Really?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I don't think this thread really has to do with the amount, but what is customary. If you went to the marina office to pay your bill and while there asked to use the bathroom, would it bother you if they charged you a dollar? Clearly there is a cost to build, maintain, clean and buy supplies just as the pumpout station. But I think most people would be annoyed if asked to pay to use the toilet, because it's usually free.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...and the price of a pumpout being not much more than 2 craft beers or a couple glasses of wine.
Dude....2 glasses of wine??? That shit is expensive!!!

My marina is free for tenants and $5 for others. I honestly don't think they charge that $5 though. And I usually tip a $20 spot for a pumpout anyway...it is the least I can do for someone who handles my excrement. The dock guys always appreciate it and they always give me good service. Thos guys are also the guys that do a lot of the maintenance on the docks so if I need anything they are always happy to help.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I don't think this thread really has to do with the amount, but what is customary. If you went to the marina office to pay your bill and while there asked to use the bathroom, would it bother you if they charged you a dollar? Clearly there is a cost to build, maintain, clean and buy supplies just as the pumpout station. But I think most people would be annoyed if asked to pay to use the toilet, because it's usually free.

Ted
Yes, we've discussed pay toilets here too, which are unusual at marinas but do exist. Years ago I was in a public building with pay toilets. I'd only really be annoyed if I needed to go and had no change with me.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #28
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
What is pump out????

Just kidding!!!

In the PNW the pump outs I have used are free or free with moorage. They are all over the place.

In Reid Harbor, San Juans there is a "manual" pump out. A small barge with a hand pump on it.

No need for pump outs in Canada. SE Alaska has only 1 pump out in Juneau. No one uses it. I did see a 70 footer using it once and ask what he thought of it.........
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #29

City: Orting, WA
Vessel Name: "Meannder"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Really?? yes...really Considering the environmental advantages of providing pump-out services and the infrastructure costs to the Marina I think $5 is quite reasonable. given that the gov contributes up to 75% (last I looked)to the cost of installing and maintaining the pump out facilities, and given that having those facilities likely attracts some business and given that the marina was making a bunch off me...I didn't think it was reasonable. We charged this at our Washington Waterfront city docks and I NEVER had a complaint when I worked there as an attendant. I'm not sure whether you had a complaint is relative to whether its reasonable to charge in the first place....but whatever The Most I've ever paid was $10 at a high end Marina with reasonable transient docking (River Dunes, NC). My Home port marina is free, but it is private and we own our slips and pay a yearly assessment.....

Guess you showed them....:-(
Not at all, but I also didn't give them the benefit of my money.
Use a bucket and take it home with you...(I had a friend who did this BTW...)
or, I'll go to any of the other marinas in this area that provide the service for free. Look. If you enjoy giving away your money for a service that is normally provided for free, be my guest. I'd rather spend it on something else. EAch to their own.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #30

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

No need for pump outs in Canada..
I hope youíd reconsider that strategy.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I hope youíd reconsider that strategy.
Well if I am in a bay or at moorage I don't dump. But once I am in the main channel, I legally dump.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #32

City: Orting, WA
Vessel Name: "Meannder"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
$100 of fuel price or pure profit?
On a couple hundred gallons of fuel, profit, sure.

I know some marinas that lose money on fuel just to keep slip holders, etc happy about convenience.
[COLOR="Red"]I'd believe that..after I saw the books and saw how much of their unrelated costs are bled into the fuel delivery costs[. /COLOR]
just an hour ago I was talking with a marina employee about how some boaters have no clue what charging rates a marina needs to charge to exist.
I do have a pretty good idea. We've looked pretty hard at purchasing 3 different marinas, and got pretty thorough financials. Two of them were marking up fuel roughly a buck and the other did not sell fuel.
he agreed that better to not deal with those that feel boating should be done on the cheap and work with those that get it.
A bit presumptuous to suggest that because someone doesn't want to give something away for free, that it equates to doing something "on the cheap"
where I am from and cruise I wish there were 10X as many marine services and facilitiies....it would control costs but more importantly make boating a lot easier/less stressful.

So for now, I agree to pay the price to make boating services available through decent pricing...and the price of a pumpout being not much more than 2 craft beers or a couple glasses of wine. Some people just never put things into perspective

Has nothing to do with perspective. It has to do with what is reasonable to charge and what is reasonable to pay for a particular service, not how that compares to something unrelated.

Right now in plenty of places they dont exist .....as often the profit margin is pretty minimal.

who here works for less because they like it?
probably about the same number that give away money for nothing....not many

If it was $100 worth of fuel and not pure profit, I bet they just as soon not have you back anyhow as you probably wouldn't smile when you were tipping the pumpout guy to boot.....
it was profit pure and simple. When I pulled up to that dock, I was going to buy 200 gallons of fuel, at a price that was likely more than .50 above what the facility paid for it. It cost them virtually nothing, since the dock space was there and an attendant was already being paid. had I not been willing to buy fuel, they'd had at least 100.00 less profit. this is not about amortizing costs or anything else; its about having 100 more in the piggy bank than had I not been willing to stop.
As for not wanting me back, done deal although I find your snipe about tipping the pump out guy to be both condescending and irritating. But we'll leave it at that. We all have good and bad days.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
it was profit pure and simple. When I pulled up to that dock, I was going to buy 200 gallons of fuel, at a price that was likely more than .50 above what the facility paid for it. It cost them virtually nothing, since the dock space was there and an attendant was already being paid. had I not been willing to buy fuel, they'd had at least 100.00 less profit. this is not about amortizing costs or anything else; its about having 100 more in the piggy bank than had I not been willing to stop.
As for not wanting me back, done deal although I find your snipe about tipping the pump out guy to be both condescending and irritating. But we'll leave it at that. We all have good and bad days.
So, let's see. In order to not pay the $5, you started your boat and moved it to another marina to fill with fuel. How much did that cost you? Would you have tipped the pump out guy? Did you where you moved?

It's your choice, but it's not a matter of some huge principle, no matter how hard you struggle to make it one. It's like some unwritten rule. Like the unwritten rules of baseball that lead to huge fights. It's $5. I'm certainly not going to move my boat from one marina to another for $5. Guess you will.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #34

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Quote:
Well if I am in a bay or at moorage I don't dump. But once I am in the main channel, I legally dump.
ASD. Iím sure youíre aware but I just donít want anyone to get the wrong impression.
In Canada it is illegal to dump your holding tank within 3 miles of shore UNLESS it is impossible to get 3 miles from shore AND there are no pump out facilities nearby. In that case you can legally dump when underway as far as possible from shore during an ebb tide.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #35
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
ASD. Iím sure youíre aware but I just donít want anyone to get the wrong impression.
In Canada it is illegal to dump your holding tank within 3 miles of shore UNLESS it is impossible to get 3 miles from shore AND there are no pump out facilities nearby. In that case you can legally dump when underway as far as possible from shore during an ebb tide.
If I recall, they also want you to be running at least 7 knots when you do, preferably faster.

Eventually, I see BC increasing the number of pump-outs available. I hope they do as I'd prefer to use a pump-out where possible.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #36
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You think $5 is gouging? Really?
Not at all. Around here it's the going rate. You seem to have missed my point:

Quote:

My point was, IF you throw your money around just because you want to impress someone, or you simply don't care how much you spend, then my contention is that you're encouraging merchants to over-charge, and under-deliver, whatever that may mean in the local market.

Voting with your wallet, even if it only saves you a token amount, makes a statement. I'd rather do business with the merchant who is trying to offer fair prices and services to their customers, than the one willing to over-charge or provide bad service or quality.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My point was, IF you throw your money around just because you want to impress someone, or you simply don't care how much you spend, then my contention is that you're encouraging merchants to over-charge, and under-deliver, whatever that may mean in the local market.

Voting with your wallet, even if it only saves you a token amount, makes a statement. I'd rather do business with the merchant who is trying to offer fair prices and services to their customers, than the one willing to over-charge or provide bad service or quality.
I understand your point. However, no one here was suggesting that they are trying to impress anyone with their spending habits. No one has suggested they don't care how much they spend. However, we do make decisions as to what our personal dollar threshold is before we start to worry about the cost.

I agree with you about supporting those businesses that provide quality goods and services at a fair price. I think most here would also agree. The point, that maybe you missed, is that charging $5.00 for a pump-out is not seen by everyone here as gouging the customer.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Interesting article. A reminder, I only dump where it is legal to do so. So far, IAW the article, I am legal.

Guide to Sewage Discharge Regs
Old 04-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Interesting article. A reminder, I only dump where it is legal to do so. So far, IAW the article, I am legal.

Guide to Sewage Discharge Regs

I recall reading that article a couple years ago. It had a link to a location of pump-outs in BC. Considering the number of boaters in BC each summer, it certainly doesnít seem like very many.

Compare that to the map of the pumpouts available in WA.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
In my area, it varies from location to location. Most places will not charge for a pump-out if I buy fuel. However, I have been charged for a pump-out despite buying fuel, but only once, and I recall commenting on it to my wife, but on a $300 fuel bill, I'm not going to squawk about $5.00.

Some marinas will pump out for free, with no fuel, but I try to squeeze something in the tank if I'm asking them to offload bio-waste.

There are a few places with free 24 x 7 Self-Service pumpouts. Every municipality we visit has a FREE pumpout boat as well. We usually use the pumpout boats. We tip anyone who pumps us out $5-$10. Usually around $7. Subconsciously I feel better if there is more than one bill in the wad I'm handing over.

With the pumpout boats, if lunch or dinner is ready, we feed them as well.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote