Brookings, Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kapnd

Guru
Vessel Name
Vessel Make
ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Just wondered if anyone on here is familiar with the area, as I may have an opportunity to spend some time there soon, and would like to get some input from boaters as to just how boater friendly Brookings really is.
Most of the info I’ve looked at is tourist oriented, and paints a pretty picture, but I need to know things like the cost/availability of diesel fuel, and if the channel is pretty safe to use on an outgoing tide, availability of temp slips, live aboard allowed, groceries within walking distance, Etc.
Thanks in advance!

Check out some of the Coast Guard You Tube videos on crossing the Chetco River Bar...Better time your crossing just right!

Brookings is on our potential fuel stop list. I haven’t personally used it but that’s just by chance. The fishing fleet uses it and it was recommended to me by a friend who is a commercial fisherman. Every port in Oregon has a bar crossing issue, most the time it’s no issue. It’s a nice town and it’s just south enough to be in the sun belt.

Brookings Harbor is pretty protected, but area surrounding the harbor is touristy... If memory serves me correctly the grocery stores and such are about 1/2 mile or more from the harbor. There are a couple of restaurants close by.... Google earth will give a better perspective

I’ve found some informative videos on U Tube, looks like a pretty quiet small town atmosphere with great beaches, even some good surf, which is important to an old surf dog like me!
I’m sure that the bar has its nasty storm days, but there are days like that everywhere, no reason to write it off. It looks much less intimidating than the Columbia, even when it is bad.
I especially like the fact that it is in the sun belt, as endless days of cold fog do not appeal to me at all.
Thanks for the input.

Brookings is on our potential fuel stop list. I haven’t personally used it but that’s just by chance. The fishing fleet uses it and it was recommended to me by a friend who is a commercial fisherman. Every port in Oregon has a bar crossing issue, most the time it’s no issue. It’s a nice town and it’s just south enough to be in the sun belt.

You may want to reconsider. Crescent City harbor, just south of Brookings, is not influenced by a river, thus no bar to cross. The harbor is fairly new.

Crescent city is nice, decent marine store a block away and no bar to cross. One of my favorite refueling spots.

Crescent city is nice, decent marine store a block away and no bar to cross. One of my favorite refueling spots.

thanks to a 1964 tsunami which wiped out the harbor

Back
Top Bottom