Old 12-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Seattle Boats Afloat Show Shoving Off From Seattle

According to an article in the Everett Herald, this January's Boats Afloat boat show will be the last one held in Seattle before the show moves to Everett.

Here's the link....
https://www.heraldnet.com/business/t...3_zzEdtORqMdxQ

According to the show organizers, the south Lake Union site is becoming too heavily trafficked by boats and the seaplane traffic.

I wonder what that will do to the overall attendance to the Seattle Boat Show. That hour and a quarter drive between Seattle and Everett is probably enough to keep me from wandering up there to see the boats.

How about you other PNW boaters?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #2

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Seattle wants all marine businesses gone from South Lake Union to allow redevelopment into condos. Lots of money at stake.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
I’m the opposite. I live up north and despise going into Seattle far any reason. I have to go there for work. That’s already too much. Everett is maybe 15-20 minutes away. I’ll go look at boats I could never afford without winning a lottery.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
Seattle wants all marine businesses gone from South Lake Union to allow redevelopment into condos. Lots of money at stake.
Businesses are evil. Just ask anyone in Seattle...
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #5

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
Not just that, but Kenmore Air is constantly attempting to "own" lake union by imposing dedicated runway areas, blocking off with buoys etc. I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before Lake Union is no longer the jewel it is today. This really bothers me. I've had a sailboat at Lake Union for years and have enjoyed sailing and racing on the lake regularly.
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Let’s clear the air. The boats afloat show is the summer show held by the Yacht Brokers ‘association. It’s not related to the Seattle Boat show which has already moved it’s in the water portion to Bell Harbor Marina.

Lake Union water front is zone “water dependent”. You can not build condo’s or hotels on the Lake Shore, any development must be marine use oriented. As with everything in life there are some exceptions. Some properties have unusual grandfather rights, like the SE corner of Lake Union which has become completely in accessible due to addition of a street car and the reconfiguration of Mercer Street.

Kenmore Air derives 90% of its business from boaters. The float planes have no special privileges on Lake Union. Any inconvenience felt by the float planes is just one group of boaters impacting another group of boaters.

Everett hosting the Boats Afloat Show was way over due, better venue and Everett deserves its own show.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Vulcan (Paul Allen's company) owns Chandler's Cove and is going to re-develop it. They are forcing the businesses to move. Has nothing to do with Kenmore Air.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #8

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Kenmore Air derives 90% of its business from boaters. The float planes have no special privileges on Lake Union. Any inconvenience felt by the float planes is just one group of boaters impacting another group of boaters.
For several years now, there have been a line of 5 buoys down the middle of Lake Union specifically as seaplane channel markers. Theoretically, the pilot hits a switch, the buoys lights flash, and boaters are supposed to do ... what? That's never been clear. Now Kenmore Air is petitioning Harbor Patrol to enforce keeping all boats 200 feet away from that buoy line, effectively claiming half the lake for their exclusive use.

So much for the "no special privileges" argument.
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
RBAW, the Recreational Boating Association of Washington, is lobbying heavily against this. It would be giving Kenmore Air, a private business, their own airfield on Lake Union. By the way, all boaters I know in Seattle know what to do when the lights flash. It's mostly the kayakers and paddle boarders that head for the lights to see what's going on.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #10

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Let’s clear the air. The boats afloat show is the summer show held by the Yacht Brokers ‘association. It’s not related to the Seattle Boat show which has already moved it’s in the water portion to Bell Harbor Marina.

Everett hosting the Boats Afloat Show was way over due, better venue and Everett deserves its own show.
The Everett Herald article links directly to the Northwest Yacht Brokers site,
https://www.boatsafloatshow.com/
which indicates their first Everett boats afloat will be during fall and that they do the Seattle Boat Show events as well. In fact the article points out their last event will be the 2020 Seattle Boat Show. The 2020 Seattle Boat show site
https://seattleboatshow.com/locations/
indicates their in water display is at the same location on Lake Union as the NYBA site. I'm not sure I follow, did the SBS have displays at Bell Harbor in recent years? Or have they announced in the future moving to Bell Harbor? I haven't attended the in water displays every year and haven't paid that close of attention...

I agree that Everett could use some boat show action. In the past they have had some sportman's type shows, but so many of us live outside the city and just don't want to go to Seattle any more, and Everett has some good places where they could host a decent show. With the marina redevelopment that has occurred, and the Angel of the Winds Area, there is ample space for a decent boat show outside of Seattle.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #11

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

I wonder what that will do to the overall attendance to the Seattle Boat Show. That hour and a quarter drive between Seattle and Everett is probably enough to keep me from wandering up there to see the boats.

How about you other PNW boaters?
I generally never go south of Everett because of the traffic as it is, so I would be more likely to go to the Everett event but not the boat show! Except I own a boat, and would be more interested in gadgets and deals than boats I can't afford...It would be nice to see a good effort at a boat show outside of Seattle. Its too far and too much to try to do for the more than one day it takes to do it right.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #12
GFC
Guru

This is the first year in many that we'll be going to the show. We're usually in AZ when the show is held.

We have kids in Ballard so we stay with them and I get free tickets to the show. Hard to beat a deal like that.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Along the same lines is there not going to be a trawler fest in the PacNW in 2020?
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:31 AM   #14

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
the nice thing about the show being in seattle was that I could take the train/bus and lightrail, avoiding the car altogether. Not sure how that will work in Everett.
"Satisfaction"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #15
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
NWYBA puts on the Boats Afloat Show.

NMTA puts on the Seattle Boat Show.

These are two different shows belonging to two different organizations

NorthWestYachtBrockerAssociation
NationalMarineTradeAssociation

As to Kenmore, the bouys are warning system to let others know airplanes are in the area. Coast Guard rules still apply to all vessels and airplanes are considered vessels. Anyone can petition for special privileges but the Coast Guard is not likely to be sympathetic, in fact it’s more likely to ban aircraft activity than to grant Kenmore it request.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #16

Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
RBAW, the Recreational Boating Association of Washington, is lobbying heavily against this. It would be giving Kenmore Air, a private business, their own airfield on Lake Union. By the way, all boaters I know in Seattle know what to do when the lights flash. It's mostly the kayakers and paddle boarders that head for the lights to see what's going on.
It is a reasonable concern that Kenmore Air may be requesting a larger, mandatory, year-round landing zone in Lake Union. Currently the marked area is a voluntary, summer only landing zone. A mandatory landing area could render vast parts of Lake Union off-limits to boaters, kayakers, and paddleboards. Several groups are concerned about the potential impact including RBAW, NMTA, Lake Union Live-Aboard Association, and other groups and organizations. RBAW is working with all parties for a collaborative solution and oppose unilateral solutions that benefit just one party at the exclusion of others.

Quick plug for RBAW. I'm an RBAW director and YC delegate (Tyee YC) and can't emphasize more how they are working with other organizations and the state DNR to continue to support and grow boating in the PNW. They are boater's “legislative insurance” in Olympia and have delivered many positive outcomes for boaters in recent years, including holding the line on taxes/fees and defending against unnecessary restrictions and regulations.

https://www.rbaw.org/Accomplishments

https://www.rbaw.org/Legislative-Issues

It's a great organization working mostly behind the scenes and the membership fee is cheap to ensure boating issues are proposed, defended, and supported down in Olympia.

https://www.rbaw.org/Join-us

-tozz
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
Referring to Mr. Stiggy’s post, interesting question. Not so long ago I saw an announcement for Trawlerfest in Seattle in early April 2020, but now there is nothing on there website about such a Trawlerfest.
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Lake Union water front is zone “water dependent”. You can not build condo’s or hotels on the Lake Shore, any development must be marine use oriented. As with everything in life there are some exceptions. Some properties have unusual grandfather rights, like the SE corner of Lake Union which has become completely in accessible due to addition of a street car and the reconfiguration of Mercer Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
This is the first year in many that we'll be going to the show. We're usually in AZ when the show is held.

We have kids in Ballard so we stay with them and I get free tickets to the show. Hard to beat a deal like that.
The water in the lake is for boats, however, the land under the lake water belongs to the State of Washington and is heavily regulated by the Department Natural Resources. No building on the water without their approval.

Mike let us know when you are going. TF gathering?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #19
GFC
Guru

Tom, we're planning on the first weekend of the show so we'll drive over on the morning of Friday the 24th and come back on Monday the 27th. Do you want to join in the group going to IHOP? All boaters are welcome.

I talked with Doug Cook a couple of months ago and he reminded me of this annual breakfast gathering. He goes every year, we're usually in AZ so it will be fun to see him again.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Sounds good. Check us as a possible until I talk to the Admira
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote