BC Sunshine Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olegreg

Veteran Member
Hello,
We are headed up this way for the first time in 30 some years. Anybody have some favorite spots they might want to share?

Greg Olsen
MV Northern Light II
1985 Ocean Alexander 40

Pender Harbor

Lots to see paddling around the protected harbor
Excellent provisioning in Madiera Park for heading north
Fuel and restaurants yet still small

Greg
Waggoner's has it all. Favorite for some is near a bar, dog stop or power, for others it is near nothing.

Ladysmith Maritime Society dock. Ladysmith has a lot to offer, the dock is very nice and clean, the Bakery and Butcher Shop are worth the trip alone.

Telegraph Harbor is very nice and the honor store is a real slice of what life used to be like.

Port Browning is a great stop also.

Fair Seas,
Bob

Hopefully Hawgwash and Northern Spy will chime in. If I recall correctly, HW grew up on the Sunshine Coast and NS lives there in Powell River.

Is Egmont still a harbour and town with transient moorage?
Charming place .. a favorite of many.

Eric: Yes!

Personally, a walk from Egmont to the viewing place above the Skookumchuk rapids, when running 14 to 16 knots, is not to be missed. We do it every time we get close enough.

Harmony Islands are nice.

Through the rapids, Sechelt inlet is a fabulous cruising ground. Passage at slack current is safe, even if your cruising speed is slow, just do the walk (noted above) first.

Other places are nice, though often too busy for many.

Yeah, what Keith, a real BC boater, said and I love that everyone is scared to go there.

But really, Oli, ya gotta help us here, what do you want?

I can't vouch for many marinas so drop the hook at False Creek, Snug Cove, Gambier, Plumper, Pirates, Buccaneer, Ballet Bay, Green Bay, Hidden Basin, Harmony, Narrows Inlet...that takes care of the first month; then what?

Also, is the OP looking at the Sunshine Coast, the Gulf Islands, or both? Keith and HW live IN the gulf Islands so it is their backyard.

I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet that you have to go up Jarvis Inlet and see Chatterbox Falls in Princess Louisa Inlet. If you do, we prefer the mouring bouys at Macdonald Island, then dinghy to the falls and also to the summer camp for a walking tour of the grounds. Go to the camp at high current flow and spend some time at their patio watching the flow. Then stop at Egmont on your way back to the coast and walk out to watch Skookumchuk rapids at high flow.

I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet that you have to go up Jarvis Inlet and see Chatterbox Falls in Princess Louisa Inlet. Then stop at Egmont on your way back to the coast and walk out to watch Skookumchuk rapids at high flow.
Keith, Eric and I all pointed at Jervis Inlet. Anyone makes it to the Harmony's or Bathgate's and doesn't see what's up yonder, well...

I pointed out a bunch of hidey holes in Jervis, trouble is we have no clue what's on Ole's time and distance agenda.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
We did Ladysmith last year. Lovely . Gonna stay on east side on our way up. Curious to see what changes might be in store in Jervis Inlet and such.

Greg - we'll be heading up that way in a few days. Going to stop at Blaine and Point Roberts (try for reciprocals) then False Creek in Vancouver. From there we'll make our way up to Princess Louisa. Planning on Smuggler Cove (if there are any vacancies!), Pender Harbor, Egmont, maybe Harmony Islands, and Jervis Inlet. It will be a first time visit to Chatterbox Falls for us.

Jedediah Island is a great stop and is a park. Drop the hook in Deep Bay on the NW end and go for a walk to the old homestead at the SE end, it is magic in the summertime! Feral goats, old orchards, scenic beaches at low tide.

I also recommend a day stop in Buccaneer Bay, on the east side of Thormandy Islands. Drop the hook and hang out at the beach at Sandy Islet and South Thormandy. This usually doesn't work for overnight as winds often pick up after dark. Head over to Smugglers Cove Marine Park and drop the hook there for a night.

HW,
FYI.... Leaving Gig Harbor around 8/8, Langley, Blaine Coal Creek so far on the agenda.
Out 5-6 weeks, would like to get to Toba Inlet mentioned on another thread.
Copper cover, I like your suggestions

BTW,
We happened on Sucia Island on the 4th of July. Everybody else was somewhere else watching fireworks. Totally empty, not even a single bang.

BTW,
We happened on Sucia Island on the 4th of July. Everybody else was somewhere else watching fireworks. Totally empty, not even a single bang.

That is great. Sucia is wonderful, but often crowded in the summer. Of course, where isn't it crowded in the summer?

Greg, in another thread someone pointed out that there is work being done on the railroad swinging bridge in the Swinomish. So check the closing schedule if you are going to head up through there instead of Deception Pass.

You can find the closer schedule here.
https://www.swinomishchannelclosures.net

We are planning to leave GH on the 11th.

Harmony Islands have been mentioned a couple times, in Hotham Sound close to Egmont. This is a beautiful spot but the last two times we've been in there there have been strong willowaw winds blowing down out of the mountains. I'm curious if Hawgwash, Nothern Spy or any other local boats have experienced this. Otherwise, a great place.

Hi Olegreg: I just motored up to Pender Harbour today from Howe Sound.

I also remembered just now that stopping in Gibson's is also great fun if you want good food and beer.

You can tie up to the Gibson's Port Authority dock for small $C and then walk to some great places.

Go to the Gibson's Taphouse up from Molly's Reach (make a right , then a left to go behind a building and then another right) and try the sampler of 5 brews. They have a new food truck in their parking lot making great grub you can bring into the Taphouse. Pick up a growler or two to take with you for happy hours the next few days.

Smitty's for oysters, right down in the harbour is also a great destination, we often go there on weekends with friends as a great reason to go boating. Park yourself at the communal long tables inside or out for great seafood, local brews and conversation.

Have fun on the Sunshine Coast, we certainly are!

Honestly, I don't have much to add. My work schedule has been intense and haven't used my boat this year as I haven't been home! There are some really good restaurants within walking distance from the harbour in Powell River, if you make it there. Be sure to try the award winning Townsite brews.

I will be taking the month of August off and will be in and out of town. If any TFers pull in to PR, PM me if you need a ride, help, or just want to meet up. That goes for anytime, not just August [emoji3]

Last edited:
Squamish or outflow winds are pretty common at the head of all of the fiords on the coast. Even off of the mill coming down from Powell Lake. The outflow winds at Toba can be very intense.

Squamish or outflow winds are pretty common at the head of all of the fiords on the coast. Even off of the mill coming down from Powell Lake. The outflow winds at Toba can be very intense.
And this week the weather systems are changing to heavy outflow winds. Could have some significant winds coming out the inlets.

And this week the weather systems are changing to heavy outflow winds. Could have some significant winds coming out the inlets.
I guess I should have checked before I posted. Nope! Doesn't look like any significant outflows this week according to Windy. This, despite high temperatures in the interior of the province.

Was in Princess Louisa in June in a rainstorm.
LOTS of waterfalls. Chatterbox itself was spectacular.
So darn busy helping other boats I forgot to snap a few of Chatterbox. Rain abated overnight and so had the falls, some smaller ones gone entirely.
Guess I,ll wait another 30 yrs. to return,not.
If you go just be sure about the timing for the rapids.

On way up we overnighted (2) at Egmont, Backeddy docks and ate at Backeddy Pub. Food was good. Walked to gvt. dock and store, nice walk and store.
Lots of places including Sturt, Texada Isl. Y.C. which we have decided we like. Good transient moorage.

Have fun.

We are in Pender Harbour at the Pender Harbour Resort. I will be on the boat tomorrow if you are going by, lots of places to anchor or docks to tie to. Places enroute: Smuggler Cove for anchoring and stern tie, Secret Cove, hang a left at the entrance (Upper Deck Restaurant), anchor out or docks, Buccaneer Bay on Thormanby anchoring in sand for picnics and swimming, (today you could anchor anywhere in the Gulf, its like pee on a plate), Pender Harbour, (all of it) including the Grasshopper Pub dock (they will pick you up) or the Garden Bay pub, anchor out or tie to their dock, John Henry's in Hospital Bay, anchor, docks, cafe and store, La Vernes Grill for fish and chips, 2 min walk.

That's all I can think of right now... pm me if you get close.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom