Old 02-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #1

City: New York
Bahamas problem..

Does the Marina share any liability in this situation?

https://youtu.be/1MRuOk7pTUc
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami
The only moorings I every use there are checked and maintained seasonally by the guy in the blue t shirt. The moorings don’t belong to the marina. This winter there was more wind but all the gear was redone after the hurricanes. There were some pennants that were problematic but easy enough to deal with.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Wow, Boat
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy
eeeshh... sorry about your experience. I don't know the answer to your question though.

Good luck
DBrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I know Sheldon and C-Shels. His insurance (Aviva Skippers Plan) stepped right up on temporary and permanent repairs to his total satisfaction.
It is then up to the Insurance Company to determine if there is any point in seeking any recovery from the mooring field operator. This is why we buy insurance.
I had two basement floods a few years back in a new house. State Farm cancelled my renewal. I pointed our that the adjustor was informed that the local government had admitted they had connected sewer pipes the wrong way (sewer and storm water reversed, I had grass clippings backing up into my toilets.) and supplied all the contact information for both the city engineer and their insurance provider. State Farm had dropped the ball and I was reinstated immediately and there was no policy increase.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Boston Area
I think liability would be tough to prove in the US.....in the Bahamas I wouldn't even bother trying.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
And, I think it's pretty clear, that you would have to sue in the Bahamas, using Bahamian tort and liability law. Whatever that is.

I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a favorable verdict.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I think they would be well advised to anchor out rather than pack a crowded mooring field, and add line spurs to their prop shafts...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
I used to work there in the 90's. There was no such thing as "Liability" and they used to make fun of the US because everyone sues everyone for everything.

I worked for a subsidiary of Disney taking cruise passengers snorkeling. We had to have everyone fill out a medical form and liability waiver....wear a flotation device, listen to a 10 minute lecture, and have 5-10 lifeguards supervising.

The local snorkeling boats gave free shots of tequilla on the way to the reef and the guys working the boat couldn't swim.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: LI or Fla
I can certainly see how this could happen to anyone, glad to see cooler heads prevailed and they got it all sorted out and on their way. All the best to them for future passages.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
The local snorkeling boats gave free shots of tequilla on the way to the reef

Now that’s my kinda snorkeling trip!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post

The local snorkeling boats gave free shots of tequila on the way to the reef and the guys working the boat couldn't swim.
Interesting. I've been on many, many such excursions in the Bahamas and Carribean over decades. They all serve booze, however, I've only ever been served booze on the ride BACK.

The only exceptions are the sightseeing tours, which seem to open the bar almost immediately.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Guru

In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan “Trust but verify.” We’ve encountered enough bad pennants over the years to always rig our own in addition to the ones supplied. This has saved our bacon enough times that my wife actually won’t let me not do it once the dinghy gets into the water. I’ve seen several of the moorings bare boat cats snag and damage unoccupied mooring pennants in that harbor. The mooring we used this season had two of the three strands cut when we picked it up and the owner checked it the week before our arrival.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If I get on a mooring, first thing I do is tug on it in reverse. The more wind expected, the harder I tug. Nice calm weather, just a little juice in rev.

Pretty good insurance against waking up to the crunch sounds.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
Guru

Yes another very good practice as it also lays out the mooring chain so you can get in sync with the whole mooring field and to also find out if you might be too long for the chosen block.