Old 04-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers
That's a long distance to get opinions on, maybe segment it up a bit, we have a good group that knows the locks in the erie canal well, another group in the Chesapeake, then you have Norfolk to destination on the inter-coastal.

Maybe also include speed and distance you can travel in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Have Waterways guide and complete map tec charts. Was interested in peoples opinions. Will actually be starting out from Toledo Ohio thru Welland Canal then to Oswego N.Y. etc. Green Cove Springs located North Eastern Florida

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Need the most help with the New York area and peoples favorite anchorages and Marinas South of Norfolk. Planning on spending a couple days each in Charleston and Savannah area. I am hoping to make trip in the 6-8 week range(weather permitting).
My wife and I enjoy history, eating, and drinking. We also like to split our time between anchoring and marinas about 50/50. Thanks again for all of the help.

traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Ok...getting scary here...

40 foot trawler....what kind? And what speed do you expect to go?

I hump it very year to a point stopping a few places for family and friends and it takes me at least 6 weeks to go from Jersey to Ft Pierce, Fl.

I rarely have weather day as I am good at planning around it or travelling in weather that makes others nervous.

Again...for me to suggest places, I need to know what kind of budget you are on. If you want marina to marina, dining out every night and no problem dropping $50 or more for taxis....that really can change suggestions. Or I can recommend places and routes that can be fun and save you a lot of money by using free docks and great close anchorages.

So if you really thing you can do it in 6 to 8 weeks...what is the budget less fuel?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Cruise approx. 10 knots. No set budget
traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #25
Guru

Have you roughed out the distances yet?....a quick stab for me shows about 1675 without ant stops in marinas where in many places can add 5 to 10 more miles or another 10 percent to total distance.

My 2 suggestions are Cape May for walking around and dinner in the Victorian Home district and Charleston, SC for its overall look and feel.

You may get some of the best suggestions by starting a thread when you start your trip and give an estimate of where you will be stopping over the next few days. Reward people with a few pictures every day and they will gladly chime in. What happens is you get good input from posters local cruising grounds that they know better from anyone and they will post in depth.

Asking to post particulars on a 1600 mile plus trip is like writing an entire set of cruising guides.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
.............Asking to post particulars on a 1600 mile plus trip is like writing an entire set of cruising guides.
And those cruising guides have already been written and are available from several sources.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Between distance and locks, I come up with 4 weeks of time underway. That would be 50-70 nm per day plus the 28 locks. If you have 6 weeks, that leaves you only 14 days to stay in the same place. That's closer to a delivery than a cruise in my mind. At least if you stretch your time to 8 weeks, you can average two nights in each stop. That would allow you to select 28 places to stop along the way. You'll have to select the 14 or the 28 that appeal most to you. On our loop, we will spend 8 weeks between NYC and Toledo and that's in a boat that cruises at 26-28 knots. We'd typically spend 4-6 weeks between Jacksonville and NYC at that's also in a much faster boat than a trawler. Plus doesn't include the Chesapeake or Potomac which would add another 2-3 weeks.

You really need at least twice the time you have to turn it into a nice cruise. I'm assuming your limiting factor is work? One thing I always ask is if it is possible to split it into two trips. That would mean 8 weeks through Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and the canals and then leave the boat a while, returning for 8 weeks down the East Coast?

If 6 to 8 weeks is your maximum time, then I'd just pick the 14 or 28 places I wanted to spend a day. Everywhere else, you'd just be stopping for the night.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #28
Guru

The more you stop, you really start to add time and distance while some marinas are along the route, many arent, and many that are may be very isolated from places to visit.

Also, weather, maintenance, and rest dsys. I say rest depending on crew and workload of the skipper.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
The more you stop, you really start to add time and distance while some marinas are along the route, many arent, and many that are may be very isolated from places to visit.

Also, weather, maintenance, and rest dsys. I say rest depending on crew and workload of the skipper.
Good points and I'd suggest stops only on the route. We don't know the size boat, do we? How much crew? Will they run outside or only ICW? What his tolerance for rough sea levels is? What's the condition of the boat and likelihood of maintenance issues?

Your points are all very valid and why this really is sounding like a delivery. In that case you don't really care about things to see as you're not going to see many, just convenient marinas and anchorages, all available on Active Captain.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #30
Guru

If they just want suggestions not route planning ....for which I apologize in that they might know exactly what they are doing...hey fire away everyone...

But I think the best responses will be in a dedicated trip thread with geographically small requests for good stops...

That has seemed to work the best in the past here.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Need the most help with the New York area and peoples favorite anchorages and Marinas South of Norfolk. Planning on spending a couple days each in Charleston and Savannah area. I am hoping to make trip in the 6-8 week range(weather permitting).
My wife and I enjoy history, eating, and drinking. We also like to split our time between anchoring and marinas about 50/50. Thanks again for all of the help.
Define NY area? The city, the river, Sandy Hook, all?

For Charlston I'd stay at the city marina. Savannah, I like Thunderbolt.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Define NY area? The city, the river, Sandy Hook, all?

For Charlston I'd stay at the city marina. Savannah, I like Thunderbolt.
Agree with you on Charleston. We'd like to say Charleston Harbor, but their treatment of transients has gotten too many negative reviews.

On Savannah, Thunderbolt is very good as well. However, if we only had a day, we'd go on into town. That means River Street, The Savannah Hyatt or Westin Savannah Harbor. The Hyatt and Westin are considerably more expensive than Thunderbolt. The Hyatt is an easy walk to downtown, but don't expect marina type service. The Westin provides a bit better service but need a water taxi to cross to downtown.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #33
Guru

See...I like The maritime center on the Cooper River in Charleston...a bit rocky at times but only blocks from downtown. Everything in quick walking distance and easy to pick up the free trolley.

As to Savannah, Isle of Hope is very pretty...reasonable with their 4 nights for the price of 3, and have loaner cars and are generous with them if the transient crowd isn't large.

That's my point to the OP...so many choices based on time, money and personal likes and dislikes....

But if we keep it up for every nice town along the way...they will have their multitude of opinions....
Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Need the most help with the New York area and .

For me I don't like New York so I usually anchor in Haverstraw Bay (Hudson River, north of Croton Point, North of Tarrytown) then make the run past NYC without stopping.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #35
Guru

It's really hard to see and experience a town if you just stay overnight. Plan on two or more nights in a marina if you want to visit a town. Also, the cost is the same whether you pull in at noon or 6:00 PM so try to get there early if you want to visit the town.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #36
FF
Guru

"Need the most help with the New York area"

The Hudson is tidal and can be anchored in north o the City , it really wide.

Either shore NY or NJ is fine BUT both have trains that run along the shore.

You can run the Harlem river and at Hell Gate turn Left and use the worlds fair marina , train ride to Manhattan.

Or continue to City Island (where the slums meet the sea) pick up a slip or a mooring and take an express bus to downtown, in the AM

Best done returning in the PM rush , taking a train and then a bus is not a great idea late at night.k.

There is a marina at 79th street in the Hudson , not inexpensive and exposed to tug boat wakes.

Also a marina behind the Statue of liberty.

Anchoring O nite in front of the Statue or Ellis Island is fine , and the view of the city is fantastic.

Anchor closer to shore and have more than one anchor or deck light.

Behind Sandy Hook is fine and a good deal closer to Atlantic City .

AC (last time I was there had closed the anchorage to assist the revenue collection for the local marina.

Anchoring in Cape May is fine , but an anchor trip line is Mandatory!! , the Coasties use the area to dump old cable .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Anchoring in Cape May is fine , but an anchor trip line is Mandatory!! , the Coasties use the area to dump old cable .
It's not the coasties, it is the dredge companies that have taken up mooring their equipment all over the harbor. Plus there is the old CG boathouse spread over the bottom when contractors did a crappy job performing demo a few years ago. (Excellent fluke structure BTW.) Stay out near the edge of the channel.
I have Side Scan on my CC in CM that shows all of the junk.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #38
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
See...I like The maritime center on the Cooper River in Charleston...a bit rocky at times but only blocks from downtown. Everything in quick walking distance and easy to pick up the free trolley.

As to Savannah, Isle of Hope is very pretty...reasonable with their 4 nights for the price of 3, and have loaner cars and are generous with them if the transient crowd isn't large.

That's my point to the OP...so many choices based on time, money and personal likes and dislikes....

But if we keep it up for every nice town along the way...they will have their multitude of opinions....
I was in your spot three years ago.

As PS mentioned above isle of Hope is worth a mention, as is the City of Savannah.

Now as to the rest, I would take your nav route planner, whatever you use, integrate Active Captain into it, figure out 8 hour days (or whatever you think you can do, and use AC to figure your stops)
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #39
Guru

If you are in a hurry to get from point A to point B, 8 hours or whatever per day is fine. If it's a pleasure cruise and you want to enjoy stops, you may well find that they are less than 8 hours apart. They could be three hours apart. Or four.

There are a few places where possible stops (anchorages or marinas) are two or three hours apart. No reasonable place to stop in between.