Old 11-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #21
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
OK, I am missing something from the comments about FL's requirement that boaters register their boats in FL.

How long can a visiting boater be in FL before he has to register it there?

If he registers it there, is he required to pay a sales or use tax?

Many more questions but probably a few simple factual answers will clear up my questions.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Zip

Zilch

Zero

Nada

Squat

Diddly

Same here. but there have been occasions when I've had to share an anchorage with another boat.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Same here. but there have been occasions when I've had to share an anchorage with another boat.
Bliss is not seeing or hearing another boat for days, and having no ‘sky scars’ (contrails) overhead
Old 11-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Dockage for our 36' boat was more than $100 at any of the Marina's (2014 prices)
Baloney. The municipal docks up the New River, or even the deluxe Marina Bay, are about half that today. Not to mention the greatness of Yachthaven, about a third of that.

Remember for a minute that urban SE Florida is a major metropolis. It's like expecting to get free parking in Manhattan.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
OK, I am missing something from the comments about FL's requirement that boaters register their boats in FL.

How long can a visiting boater be in FL before he has to register it there?

If he registers it there, is he required to pay a sales or use tax?

Many more questions but probably a few simple factual answers will clear up my questions.
90 days. No, not required to pay sales or use tax. And his astronomical registration fee for his 37' boat is $78.25
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Except for Richardson Bay, there are few anchoring issues in the San Francisco Bay/Delta waters. Besides, there are many marina-based guest docks although there are some with access issues such as prepayment and reservations required and documented evidence of insurance. And in my marina (Vallejo Municipal) it's closed on the weekends.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #27
GFC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
90 days. No, not required to pay sales or use tax. And his astronomical registration fee for his 37' boat is $78.25
Hmmmm, $78? I realize that's a bit of a bite but then compare that for most of the costs involved in boating and it's kind of like a fly landing on an elephant's back. Shoot, many of us spend that on a nice dinner out.

How does the state find out how many days a boater has been in the state, and is there a process to notify them if the 90-day drop dead date is approaching?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:

How does the state find out how many days a boater has been in the state, and is there a process to notify them if the 90-day drop dead date is approaching?
Fairly easy at the marina just by knowing how long you've had the slip. Otherwise, just a few questions. They want to know the last time you docked or fueled out of state.

Note that checking how long boats have been where is a fairly regular task in Florida as you're also checking on foreign boats and their cruising permits. Overstaying those gets very expensive. A lot of boats in South Florida avoid issues with trips to the Bahamas. In NE Florida there are many who go back and forth between Georgia and Florida, trying to avoid both. Seems like a lot to avoid a little but they are numbered elsewhere and don't want the trouble of removing and replacing numbers. I knew one boat that found itself over a 12 month period registered in four different states. Fortunately, it was documented so no numbers to deal with.

I think this is one more situation where the concept of states brings us trouble. When formed, they were very distant and people didn't travel to as many.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #29
GFC
Guru

OK, B, this brings to mind another question. To avoid paying some taxes it is possible to take delivery of a boat in international waters. This can be done with an attorney present, video taping the plotter showing the Lat/Long to verify being out of the country.

Could a boat go beyond the 12 mile limit and video taping the GPS without going all the way to the Bahamas?
Old 11-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #30
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Good conversation so far. Back to restricted moorage ares. So we do know some places are restricted to anchor. Florida has been the topic, but what about California, Bay area and south? The Channel Islands?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #31
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
How does the state find out how many days a boater has been in the state,

Bridges. They log vessel name & hailing port. I suspect they can poll marina records as well, but the bridges are already part of the state bureaucracy.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
Bridges. They log vessel name & hailing port. I suspect they can poll marina records as well, but the bridges are already part of the state bureaucracy.

WOW Talk about "Big Brother!!"
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #33
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't think anyone who has been there will dispute that there are problems with derelict boats and livaboards who don't respect their neighbors or the environment in Florida.

The problem many people have is taking away good anchorages such that people legitimately engaged in "navigation" can't use them anymore. I don't care if you pass a law against anchoring, or just put out a bunch of overpriced moorings; you're still taking away a fundamental right to navigation, which in my book includes anchoring.

Florida has given the appearance of not wanting to deal with the real problem, instead just taking a swipe at the easiest targets - cruising boaters. One can only speculate as to whom those politicians are trying to appease.

I can't say if that's waterfront property owners or not. I can say that, in the areas I've seen of the Florida ICW, it's clear that the manatees have very good taste in real estate. The "Slow - Manatee Zone" signs are much more prevalent in areas of higher property values, than in areas where property appears much cheaper.

Just sayin'
We are now in Cocoa Village on our way south and this was one of the first things I noticed. I also saw at least one counterfeit “no wake zone” sign near a stretch of mansions along the ICW.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #34
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
If the boat is over 30 years old, the fee is $15 a year to register an “antique “ in Florida.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #35
Guru

San Diego harbor has restricted anchorages where you must have a permit to anchor. The permit is easily obtained on-line and allows you to anchor for up to three days, and only on week-ends. Once you do apply for a permit, you are added to the Harbor Police data base. This method keeps track of would-be "homesteaders" who would otherwise never leave the anchorages. Yes, the anchorages are limited to the number of boats that can use the anchorage.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
San Diego harbor has restricted anchorages where you must have a permit to anchor. The permit is easily obtained on-line and allows you to anchor for up to three days, and only on week-ends. Once you do apply for a permit, you are added to the Harbor Police data base. This method keeps track of would-be "homesteaders" who would otherwise never leave the anchorages. Yes, the anchorages are limited to the number of boats that can use the anchorage.
I've often thought one answer would involve a state anchoring registration or permit, perhaps $10, but just to have the record. In my view though, it should require proof of insurance.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #37
GFC
Guru

I think most traveling boaters would ante up for a $10 permit they could apply for online, pay the fee (paypal?) and be emailed the completed and approved permit.

With an on-board printer they could print it or photograph the computer image on their phone or just show the computer screen to any water cop that wants to verify they have their permit.

Easy Peasy.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #38
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
I've often thought one answer would involve a state anchoring registration or permit, perhaps $10, but just to have the record. In my view though, it should require proof of insurance.
I think that's a very reasonable suggestion. There are probably lots of other good ideas out there. Seems governments always manage to find (and hang onto) the dumb ideas.

My first thought, however, was that it would stay $10 for a very short time before someone in the state house figured out that they could soak those "rich out-of-state boat owners" for far more, without any push-back from their own local voters. Once it becomes a revenue stream, they're gonna squeeze all they can out of it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Life is simpler when one has USCG documentation while visiting states that do not also require state registration for extended stays. Surprisingly, California is one such state, at least for now. That doesn't mean one won't be subject to property tax.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #40
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
WOW Talk about "Big Brother!!"
Regarding bridge tenders writing your name and home port, it has "always" been that way. When I wanted to track down my parents that's how I would do it. I'd call bridges until I found 'em (or at least a proximity)

This was in the 70's up through the late 90's that I'd be looking for them.

When we'd blow open a bridge (three long blasts back then) the bridge tender would ask for our boat name if he didn't catch it. This was after we got a VHF radio (the 1960's -- we were whiskey yankee charlie 7737 if memory serves me)

It sure would be nice to reclaim "our" call sign...