Anchorage etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We go out to get away from people. If the anchorage is getting that crowded, I might say, "Here, take our spot, we're just leaving."

So what is it with the Nanaimo anchorage. There is a line of buoys that runs down on the south side of the Dinghy Pub and no anchoring on the other side of the line. The take off/landing spot is well away. It just pushes everyone into a tighter anchorage area.

What liability issues are there to be concerned about rafting?

What liability issues are there to be concerned about rafting?

I personally can attest to two rafting experiences with fellow TFers that ripped out my port spring and aft cleats. Each were my own fault for improper crossing of lines to prevent the damage when out of sync.

One was a 58 Vantare and the other was a 42 GB...both of whom shall remain nameless. It was a good lesson but I wouldn't trade the experience for undamaged cleats. As I like to think, every mark tells a story.

I just assumed my 40 year old cleats were back plated. The access was so limited that it precluded inspection. Now I know better.

:eek: :banghead: :facepalm:

Last edited:
I personally can attest to two rafting experiences with fellow TFers that ripped out my port spring and aft cleats. Each were my own fault for improper crossing of lines to prevent the damage when out of sync.

One was a 58 Vantare and the other was a 42 GB...both of whom shall remain nameless. It was a good lesson but I wouldn't trade the experience for undamaged cleats. As I like to think, every mark tells a story.

I just assumed my 40 year old cleats were back plated. The access was so limited that it precluded inspection. Now I know better.

:eek: :banghead: :facepalm:

I still don't see any liability.

Question for the TF brain trust: there have been times when I'm securely anchored in a crowded harbor and I see someone motoring around looking for anchor room in vain. I've been tempted to toss the fenders over and offer to have them raft up, either together on my anchor or by dropping their own depending on conditions and boat size.

What do you think? Good idea or fraught with pitfalls? I can see the possibility of anchor lines entangling, any other reasons this should not be done?

It depends on weather conditions of course, but we've got solid ground tackle and often invite friendly/familiar boats alongside.

Sometimes i get to see interesting close quarters handling and optimistic fendering but rarely do i regret it.

We mostly raft to one anchor (mine) and the understanding that I'll break the raft if conditions warrant.

Attachments

• aug13 MHYC raftup.jpg
    aug13 MHYC raftup.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 69
I still don't see any liability.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

If you were on my boat, the damage would be more obvious. It's only a "liability" if I'm being an arrogant, mean-spirited, litigious SOB.

Fortunately, those folks are few and far between.

It depends on weather conditions of course, but we've got solid ground tackle and often invite friendly/familiar boats alongside.

Sometimes i get to see interesting close quarters handling and optimistic fendering but rarely do i regret it.

We mostly raft to one anchor (mine) and the understanding that I'll break the raft if conditions warrant.

Sometimes we raft up like that in the Delta, John. I think the max I've participated in was 13 but I was a latecomer and in my favorite 'end' position. That gives me the best shot or releasing if the immediate need arises...as it sometimes does when you least expect it.

EDIT: I found the photo. Looks like 17 boats.

Attachments

• Raftup.jpg
    Raftup.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
EDIT: I found the photo. Looks like 17 boats.[/QUOTE]

You win FW!

cheers,

Last edited:
All my cleats are welded to the hull. :dance: And have only rafted with FlyWright on one of his favorite fishing grounds. (Just a visit. I don't fish.)

Last edited:
Our club has a big raft up every year. There's always at least 35 boats and the record was 48 from a couple of years ago. Here's what it looked like in 2016.

It's all very orderly, starts at 9:30, everyone is in place by about 11:00 and it starts to break up about 9:00.

The local CA Delta Sea Ray Club knows how to do large circle rafts. My buddy Dan has been involved in the planning and setup. They do it with calculated GPS coordinates in advance with engineering precision. Here's a look at one of their smaller ones in 2016 but the video is well done.

So what is it with the Nanaimo anchorage. There is a line of buoys that runs down on the south side of the Dinghy Pub and no anchoring on the other side of the line. The take off/landing spot is well away. It just pushes everyone into a tighter anchorage area.

Isn’t that where the electric and telephone cables come across?

I have done this 2 times in self defense. Imagine being in a full anchorage and someone else shows up and is going to short scope in front of you. My conclusion was that I would rather have them rafted to me than dragging the hook back on me. Obviously you need to size the people up.

Agreed!!! Most of the anchorages we frequent are very, very crowded. I'd rather see someone rafted to me than inside of my swing radius.

This is especially the case when someone has dragged a few times. The look in these folks faces (especially the wife/girlfriend) after the third or 4th attempt to set is pure relief. The same applies if its late in the day (sun setting) and they've circled by 8-10 times.

And...yes.....it's a great way to meet nice folks. We met our best friends because they anchored right on top of us after coming into a very crowded anchorage late on a Sat. afternoon.

Agreed!!! Most of the anchorages we frequent are very, very crowded. I'd rather see someone rafted to me than inside of my swing radius.

This is especially the case when someone has dragged a few times. The look in these folks faces (especially the wife/girlfriend) after the third or 4th attempt to set is pure relief. The same applies if its late in the day (sun setting) and they've circled by 8-10 times.

And...yes.....it's a great way to meet nice folks. We met our best friends because they anchored right on top of us after coming into a very crowded anchorage late on a Sat. afternoon.

Sounds like Napatree.

Back
Top Bottom