Anchorage etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"After I put the riding chain stopper on and shut everything off, my wife and I sit in the cockpit and wait for the "stupid boaters anchoring show" to start."

We call that "Goon Time".

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Bitch wings... I love it.
On a slightly less silly note, how common is it to mark your anchor location with a buoy or float of some sort? Seems like that might help others to know where not to be. It also seems like a pain in the arse to set and retrieve, and one extra thing for someone else to get fouled on.

I've seen boaters mark their anchors with a red buoy. Some have recommended not marking the anchor because a boater could run over the buoy/line and pull the anchor out. I could see this being a major concern at night!

On a slightly less silly note, how common is it to mark your anchor location with a buoy or float of some sort? Seems like that might help others to know where not to be. It also seems like a pain in the arse to set and retrieve, and one extra thing for someone else to get fouled on.

I have used an anchor buoy before. I think it is helpful for other boaters to know where my anchor is. I’ve seen too often where a boat enters an anchorage and appears to drop their hook over the top of another boat’s anchor or chain. I’ve also had my buoy either intentionally or unintentionally destroyed by a boater running over it. My buoy used a lightweight sacrificial line so it didn’t pull up my anchor nor damaged a prop.

sailboats tend to be influenced more by current, power boats tend to be more influenced by wind. .

I disagree, both the same, did a lot of anchoring in the NE over 40 years with my sailboat.

If crowded I pull up to the stern of a boat in a circle I want,
drop the hook and settle back never an issue.

hmmmm....I would have to say different boats lie on the hook differently. With a generic difference between power and sail ( mostly due to underwater shapes)...and cats are WAY different sometimes...in fact some cat owners warn you when you come close.

I've seen boaters mark their anchors with a red buoy. Some have recommended not marking the anchor because a boater could run over the buoy/line and pull the anchor out. I could see this being a major concern at night!

Personally I don't like it when boaters do that. I have no issue with someone swinging over my anchor and it doesn't bother me to swing over someone else's.
A buoy is just one more obstacle to get hung up on.

Personally I don't like it when boaters do that. I have no issue with someone swinging over my anchor and it doesn't bother me to swing over someone else's.
A buoy is just one more obstacle to get hung up on.

Yeah, kind of rude to put anchor buoys out in crowded anchorages. We only use them in isolated spots where I am afraid of getting a fouled anchor.

And, to complain about people anchoring close to you in the most popular spots.

I go by completely different rules when I am in the favorite spot, and when I am in the middle of nowhere. When I am in the middle of nowhere and someone anchors 100 feet from me, I'm annoyed, but I just pull up my anchor and move farther away.

In a popular, crowded anchorage, I think it's unreasonable to get upset about crowded conditions, if you want to anchor there, too.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the "naked deck chores" deterrent. If somebody is anchoring too close a quick trip on deck naked usually gets them to reevaluate their spot. :dance: Don't go for too long, or you'll get a nasty burn!

Cheers, Bill

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the "naked deck chores" deterrent. If somebody is anchoring too close a quick trip on deck naked usually gets them to reevaluate their spot. :dance: Don't go for too long, or you'll get a nasty burn!

Cheers, Bill

We got introduced to that by a French Couple when we were on a mooring at Wardrick Wells in the Bahamas. Nothing like watching two people take a naked shower together about twenty five feet from you. :D

...I've gotten aboard just anchored boats to let out more scope to stop the boat dragging towards our boat or others.

We had to do this in Montague, BC this summer. A ~50 ft sailboat was dragging into us in only a 12-13 kt wind and, along with help from friends in dinghies, we successfully pushed them away from us, boarded, let out more scope and tossed over their secondary anchor. It was a mess. A lot of nervous folks in that anchorage when the owners finally came back, realized they dragged all the way across an anchorage, picked up and moved to the other side even closer to more boats.

Group9. If it’s a young good looking couple that’s a plus but most of what I have seen are old farts with bodies like mine, makes you want to cover your eyes while you still have pupils.

We had to do this in Montague, BC this summer. A ~50 ft sailboat was dragging into us in only a 12-13 kt wind and, along with help from friends in dinghies, we successfully pushed them away from us, boarded, let out more scope and tossed over their secondary anchor. It was a mess. A lot of nervous folks in that anchorage when the owners finally came back, realized they dragged all the way across an anchorage, picked up and moved to the other side even closer to more boats.

I was there and saw the whole thing. Any damage? A lot of folks were pulling their anchors in a hurry.

That POS sail boat had no numbers or name. I called the Victoria Coast Guard, they didn't seem to care. They didn't seem to care when Tozz called them.

When he re-anchored, in front of me, I went over and saw the "string" they were using for rode and a bunch of "plants." I asked if the realized there were going to be 25kt winds that night. They didn't care. I told them if they broke anchor again and drifted toward my boat, they would not have to worry about hitting me as I would sink it before it reached ASD.

I was there and saw the whole thing. Any damage? A lot of folks were pulling their anchors in a hurry.

That POS sail boat had no numbers or name. I called the Victoria Coast Guard, they didn't seem to care. They didn't seem to care when Tozz called them.

When he re-anchored, in front of me, I went over and saw the "string" they were using for rode and a bunch of "plants." I asked if the realized there were going to be 25kt winds that night. They didn't care. I told them if they broke anchor again and drifted toward my boat, they would not have to worry about hitting me as I would sink it before it reached ASD.

No damage to us nor anyone else thankfully. Our friend was able to use his dinghy to push their stern away and they missed us by about 6 ft. Then once we were safe I hopped in my dinghy to help the others. We got it away from that Tolly that was picking up fast to move over by you.

The owners came back 20 min later clueless. We went over to tell them what happened and told them they needed to replace that crappy rode and use more scope. Not sure they understood a word.

The CG was less than helpful indeed. You would think they'd be interested in a boat with zero identifying features just dragging through a popular anchorage.

It was certainly interesting there for a while and we did have a short conversation with others around that didn't want that boat anywhere near them. By that time we had three dinghies in the water and they wanted us manage the boat into the shallows where it couldn't hurt anyone.

Cheers, Bill

That could backfire significantly. You might end up with more boats anchored close by with binoculars at the ready.

Group9. If it’s a young good looking couple that’s a plus but most of what I have seen are old farts with bodies like mine, makes you want to cover your eyes while you still have pupils.

giphy.gif

ASD wrote;
“I told them if they broke anchor again and drifted toward my boat, they would not have to worry about hitting me as I would sink it before it reached ASD.”

Goi’n military on them? Sink what?

ASD wrote;
“I told them if they broke anchor again and drifted toward my boat, they would not have to worry about hitting me as I would sink it before it reached ASD.”

Goi’n military on them? Sink what?

LOL Yep......:eek::D

My pet peeve is when some guy shows up late to the anchorage, drops his anchor, then sets back so he's hanging directly over my anchor. I'm stuck until they agree to either shorten their scope or move the boat to the side for me to retrieve my hook. It's even worse when it's a raft of multiple boats hanging over my anchor. ?

My pet peeve is when some guy shows up late to the anchorage, drops his anchor, then sets back so he's hanging directly over my anchor. I'm stuck until they agree to either shorten their scope or move the boat to the side for me to retrieve my hook. It's even worse when it's a raft of multiple boats hanging over my anchor. ?

Better that than dropping their anchors on your rode.

I've never been a river boater. Do you have consistent current in most of the places there? Up here, if there isn't much wind, the current can be shifting all over the place. It makes it really hard at times to know where someone's anchor is. I think I mentioned last summer waking up in the morning at low tide and noticing an anchor in about 5' of water just off my stern. Took me a while to realize that it was MY anchor.

... I think I mentioned last summer waking up in the morning at low tide and noticing an anchor in about 5' of water just off my stern. Took me a while to realize that it was MY anchor.
Rude! :blush:

We usually stay at anchorages for 4 to 6 days

Our generator is too quiet so I'll run the shop vac in the cockpit or crank up the stereo with AC/DC if they are close and stubborn.

Item for checklist - if stereo is down, locate Sandpiper and anchor very close to ensure some tunes! :dance:

We agree with the sentiment of others here, go where others don't go. While we sometimes find them convenient and use them when they are intended to protect habitat, mooring buoys are just sheep pens for boats.

We too will anchor somewhat deeper just to have a spot away from others; or anchor closer to the kelp bed because we know how the current flows around that island and it won't reverse us into it; or we've looked at the barometer and wind forecast and we're ok being away from the lee of the island tonight because its going to be still for the next 24 or 48 hrs...

fractalphreak wrote;
“mooring buoys are just sheep pens for boats”

I rather like them. What’s not to like?

The objection to crowded anchorages is the possibility of hitting eachother. The limited swing and effectively extremely short scope seems very ideal to me. Of course if you like to play w anchors like me gotta wait till later.

Nomad

I'd rather trust my anchor than most of the anchor bouys I’ve dove on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Item for checklist - if stereo is down, locate Sandpiper and anchor very close to ensure some tunes! :dance:

One time I was so frustrated with my lack of privacy with a bowrider right off my stern in Secret Cove that I took a dink ride to get away. Before I left I started my music to an endless loop of "Beer Barrel Polka" on all speakers inside and out.

When I returned, my stereo turned off on it own (as it sometimes tends to do) and my boat neighbors exhibited a great sense of humor by playing the same song on their boat as I motored to my boat. I had to laugh at that one!!

Last edited:

ROFL

You caused me to squirt beer out of my nose!

Don't anchor too close, I'll put on Yanni

That doesn't really bother me, it's happened on several occasions.
I either warn them during the evening that I'll be leaving early and they'll have to shorten up in the am, or I push them out of the way with my boat hook as I come up short on the anchor.

Al

A friend of mine was so pissed at people who anchored close to him he went into his shop and put some thin tin in his vice and took a hack saw and recorded that whining, raspy horrendous sound. He then made a loop of it and increased the volume. When he anchored and someone got to close he got out his tape and hooked it to a directional speaker and turned it on. Raised the volume. I can tell you it was terrible, he played it for me and about 20 seconds is all I could take. You know how raking your fingers on a chalk board sounds, this was worse. I think he could make big bucks by selling a CD of the sound.

See you in Ft Pierce.

fractalphreak wrote;
“mooring buoys are just sheep pens for boats”

I rather like them. What’s not to like?

Perhaps I'm being overdramatic for the purposes of this discussion. The point I was trying to make is they tend to be in those anchorages where EVERYONE goes, they tend to give people the impression the idea that the bay is full if the buoys are taken, they tend to give the idea that the bays where the buoys are have been sanctioned safe by the government, so people can't think out of the box and go around the corner to the bight....

We like them at times, like I pointed out, one bay (one of our favorites, I'm sure yours too) has them in a protected eelgrass area so people won't tear up the bottom anchoring there.

But if I spent my time hanging on a mooring buoy I would quickly tire of the places I would visit compared to the freedom of smart anchoring.

OK but think how crowded Montague Harbor would be if everyone was on their own rode.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom