Old 04-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
SOS Distress Lights

As Weems & Plath dealers, we would like our fellow TFers to know we sell the innovation award-winning SOS Distress Lights in our Pacific NW Boater TESTED online store. Basically, we hope if you're going to buy one you do so with us! We also made two videos for the light. Here's the longer, more in-depth video:

Pacific NW Boater - PRODUCTS - TESTED: SOS Distress Light

And a 30-second "commercial":

https://youtu.be/4Akv4KrFDuw

Interestingly, when we shot the main video my wife went out in the middle of the bay and shot four aerial flares. The fourth one was a dud, and did not ignite (it shot into the air, but no flare...). She came back to the dock and said: "I'm glad our lives weren't depending on that one!" Nonetheless, we recommend to all purchasers that they keep their expired flares on board to augment/backup the SOS Light. Since the SOS Light makes you 100% compliant with the USCG (and compliant in Canada for US documented/registered vessels), the expired flares become a non-issue. Though my wife has marked them as "for practice only" just to be safe...

In the immortal words of Bartles & Jaymes, "thank you for your support"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOS Top 10.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	63798  

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

City: Leesburg, VA
We've already got one.

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Years ago ACR made one. I purchased it at a Defender warehouse sale about 8 years ago for $15. It still works today. Looks like a spotlight and takes a big 6 volt battery. You can hand hold it and aim it at a target. The on/off switch is magnetic and all is waterproof. Turn it on and it signals SOS---that's all it does. There's a label that states it meets CG requirements for visual distress signals. So clearly, this is not a new invention. I do own one of the new ones as well.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Years ago ACR made one. I purchased it at a Defender warehouse sale about 8 years ago for $15. It still works today. Looks like a spotlight and takes a big 6 volt battery. You can hand hold it and aim it at a target. The on/off switch is magnetic and all is waterproof. Turn it on and it signals SOS---that's all it does. There's a label that states it meets CG requirements for visual distress signals. So clearly, this is not a new invention. I do own one of the new ones as well.
ACR makes great products! The primary distinction being their USCG/SOLAS approved distress lights are personal locators and approved as PFD lights. The Weems & Plath SOS Light is USCG approved as a distress light for the vessel, which means it can replace all pyrotechnic flares.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
This has been/is being discussed in another thread, "will this replace flares?". For a video that dramatically shows the much greater visibility of an old fashioned hand held flare, see post #45 in that thread.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
Guru

City: Boston Area
I believe the product in that video uses lasers and this product uses LED's.....so Iwould expect the performance of the two to be different.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I believe the product in that video uses lasers and this product uses LED's.....so Iwould expect the performance of the two to be different.

I agree. While I am planning on keeping 12 gauge flairs on the boat, I will be getting rid of the handheld flares as they expire in favor of the electronic. I simply don't want anyone to try use those hand held flares on the boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
This has been/is being discussed in another thread, "will this replace flares?". For a video that dramatically shows the much greater visibility of an old fashioned hand held flare, see post #45 in that thread.
It is a dramatic difference, for about 7 seconds. That's why we have both on our boat.