Old 07-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Fuel Spill Preventer, Should I Stock This?

Scandvik would like me to sell their new fuel spill preventer.
What do you guys think of it? I think I'll get one for myself as I often have fuel gushers that require cleaning.

You can see a video of it in action here:
"Clean Way Fuel Fill™
is the answer to every concerned boater's question...how do I stop fuel from splashing me, my boat and the water when fueling?Manufactured with a series of baffles, the fuel simply returns to the fill when the nozzle shuts off.The kit includes a Clean Way, 3 rubber deck fill adaptors and 2 nozzle adaptors.Works with Standard and High Speed Gas or Diesel Pumps!"

I think the street price is going to be in the seventy to eighty dollar range.

What do you guys think? Will it sell?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean Way Fuel Fill_2 (2).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	41652  

Old 07-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Scandvik would like me to sell their new fuel spill preventer.
What do you guys think of it? I think I'll get one for myself as I often have fuel gushers that require cleaning.

"Clean Way Fuel Fill™ is the answer to every concerned boater's question...how do I stop fuel from splashing me, my boat and the water when fueling?Manufactured with a series of baffles, the fuel simply returns to the fill when the nozzle shuts off.The kit includes a Clean Way, 3 rubber deck fill adaptors and 2 nozzle adaptors.Works with Standard and High Speed Gas or Diesel Pumps!"

I think the street price is going to be in the seventy to eighty dollar range.

What do you guys think? Will it sell?
The price point is somewhat on the high side. At $20-30, they could probably sell a lot of them. At $70-80, well, how many fools will hand over that much for what looks like a $5 value. I am kind of thinking more sales would go to the guy who owns the gas pump than boaters if they are durable enough. Who knows, the EPA or Cali might mandate them. YMMV.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
how does it maintain electrical contact between the nozzle and the grounded fill fitting? If it doesn't, then better be diesel only!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
how does it maintain electrical contact between the nozzle and the grounded fill fitting? If it doesn't, then better be diesel only!
Very good point.
I just watched the video. Seems to me if the reservoir fills with fuel from over filling it has to drain somewhere. So I think it has a 55-50 chance of finding room in the fill hose or the vent .
If the vent it's overboard along with your $70.
Sorry Hopcar I'm not loving it.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I like it. As far as I can tell, all it does is redirect the sprayed fuel back into the fill, which is exactly what's needed.

Good point about grounding though. But for diesel, especially the super-fast pumps at commercial piers, I think it would be great.

Price would be an issue. I'm no marketing expert, but I suspect that the sweet spot would be $40 or less.

I'd give some thought to stowage. Maybe screw-on covers to keep it from oozing all over and stinking up wherever it's stowed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I rarely fill all the way; maybe others are like that too. If no, overflow is usually a non-issue, unless the pump goes wayward.

OTOH, the idea doesn't look bad. Priced too high, could use some after-use stowage solution included, and that electrical contact thing is important to pin down.

We have a Scandvik cockpit sink faucet, and their customer service when I needed parts was VERY VERY good!

-Chris
Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Guru

You guys are great! This is exactly the kind of feed back I was hoping for.
Is electrical conductivity important? The nozzle is in contact with the device and the device is in contact with the grounded fuel fill. There is no gap for a spark to jump. I would think that any static electricity that builds on the plastic would just bleed to ground through the fuel fill fitting. It's like fueling from a plastic can. Not a problem as long as the nozzle is touching the fill fitting before fuel starts flowing.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I have a couple of problems with it.

1. How do I then store it? I'm left with a fuel covered contraption. How do I clean it to remove the smell and the fuel?

2. I feel like I should really address the problem and it's cause rather than accept I'm going to have overflow. Now as an added safety precaution maybe ok.

That's me as a purchaser. Looking at it as a retailer, I have to agree to concerns with the pricing. I, much like many others I assume, have a certain price point where I'll buy on a whim and not be too critical. For instance, I use to buy kitchen gadgets in the $10-20 range quite freely, just to try them and if I didn't like them I could trash them. I can see this at up to $30, perhaps $40. However, anything above that, I just look at it and have a hard time visualizing it being worth the price. It just has a look of cheapness and upon seeing it then I think poorly in terms of quality. I believe had they spent a bit more time on the appearance, presentation, then one might perhaps accept it as having greater value.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Guru

This is great. I should run all new products past you guys.
The issues seem to be as follows:

Too expensive
Hard to store
Not electrically conductive

Not much I can do about the price.
I get the storage problem. The funnel I use for oil is a PITA to store.
No reply's yet to my theory that it doesn't need to be conductive.

"It just has a look of cheapness and upon seeing it then I think poorly in terms of quality. I believe had they spent a bit more time on the appearance, presentation, then one might perhaps accept it as having greater value."

B&B, I haven't seen the packaging yet but I did ask about it. It will be packaged in a full color box with pictures. That might improve the perception of value when seen on a retailers shelf.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
check out www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/pdfs/98-111.pdf then ask yourself if this is worth the risk. Will the significant static charge from filling a large boat gasoline fuel tank bleed to ground through the plastic fill device? I think not but who really knows.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Guru

Archie, It's a different situation. In the link you posted they were warning about filling plastic cans in the back of a truck with a plastic bed liner. No ground for the can. If the nozzle isn't in contact with the plastic tank, a charge can build up on the can and jump the gap between the ungrounded can and the grounded nozzle.

In the case of a boat, the fill fitting should be grounded to the tank. The nozzle is grounded back to the pump. If you are using the device correctly, the fuel nozzle will be in solid contact with the device and the device in solid contact with the fill fitting. To create a spark, you need a gap. If there is no gap, the charge will dissipate to ground through the nozzle and fill fitting before a high charge can develop. I think, maybe. At any rate that's my theory.

It is a valid concern. I wish I knew more about it. Anybody out there with a degree in electrical engineering? Someone who actually knows about this stuff.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Hop, do you guys carry a black water pump out extension? On my boat its a real pain to get a good seal for the pump out to work properly. If someone made an extension that had like a 45 degree bend and all I had to do was add it to the pump out end of there hose, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I've not had any problems when fueling my 38, on previous boats I've had you had fuel very slowly this would help but not $70.00 worth. $35.00 would be where I would be a buyer if I needed it to speed fueling.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
Guru

John, I don't know of anything like that. It sounds useful. I'll pass your idea on to Edson. They make a lot of pump out station equipment. Maybe they'll make one.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #15

City: Vero Beach
The Clean Way Fuel Fill is designed so that the nozzle will still have contact with your deckfill. It states in the instructions to press the nozzle into the appropriate adaptor depending on the nozzle size to make contact with the deckfill. The angle that the nozzle inserts makes sure of this.

This product has been in design for 2 years with over 150K in design, tooling and patents. It is designed to stop splashing and overflow when filling. Many boats have ventilation issues and with high speed pumps it can be a big mess not to mention the environmental impact.

This is a bigger issue for some vessels than others. For instance we used to have a Hatteras 53 Classic and the fuel would overflow and get on the walkways and not only make a mess but the decks were very slippery from diesel fuel. Not only will it save clean up, embarrassment and environmental impact but expensive oilzorb pads.

Its a very well made part and the value is apparent if you actually put one in your hands.
petrafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
BandB,
I usually put my dinghy funnels in a zip lock bag.
But you're right it's bulky.

I put my ear down right next to the filler hole and can hear quite accurately when she's 99% full.

I suspect w a little care and dexterity in most situations this device is not necessary. I'd probably add it to the things I've bought that thought they'd be great but never used them .. but maybe once. Parks if this plays out that way most will remember where they "got sucked in to buy something they didn't need". But those (if there are any) that think it's the best thing since FG boats may balance the others. Most likely there'll be more "others".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I used to have those geysers but I found the solution is to stand at the nozzle and listen to the fuel going in. As I start to hear the 'gurgling' sound indicating that it's getting close to the top, I just slow down the fuel flow.

No mo geysers and nothing to store.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Actually we saw this problem far more on small boats on the lake than even on coastal boats. One very popular manufacturer introduced a small less expensive line and they all had this problem. The dealer had to go in and fix the hoses in all. The problem with them was actually that the vent hose was too long so instead of being straight it would kink.

In his advertisement he just posted, Petrafied said "Many boats have ventilation issues." He's right. My suggestion. Fix the ventilation issue. Fix the flow issues. And pay attention as filling. Now, perhaps you still need something while getting the problem fixed, but it seems rather silly to me to live with a known fueling problem long term.

And to Petrafied, you need to upgrade your membership to a Commercial Member.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And pay attention as filling.
Whose span of interest lasts that long when filling a 200 Gallon tank? Unfortunately, not mine.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
John, I don't know of anything like that. It sounds useful. I'll pass your idea on to Edson. They make a lot of pump out station equipment. Maybe they'll make one.
I appreciate it. In the mean time, gonna keep looking around for something that might work.

" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, preventer, spill