Old 07-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #21

City: Vero Beach
Thanks will upgrade. New here.... My passions are fishing etc. but as a boater who has spent plenty of time cruising I appreciate all of your input.

Hope to be an owner of some sort of live a board type vessel one day!

hopcar is a great customer. We should all support family owned chandleries such as his!

Cheers and happy 4th!

petrafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
I appreciate it. In the mean time, gonna keep looking around for something that might work.
i delivered a boat a few yrs back that had a whistle and when the tank was almost full it wood whistle,just like your home heating oil tank does back home and it worked great

capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Crusty, I bet you can McGiver one. When you do, post a picture please.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #24
Guru

Jerry, I remember those whistles. You installed them in the vent line and the outgoing air made them whistle until the fuel reached them. When they stopped whistling, you stopped fueling. I thought it was a great idea, but they didn't sell well for me. I don't think they make them anymore. Time to ask Mr. Google.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
I have to say this is something I would love to try the price seems a bit high

here at my marina I am not the only one that has small spill issues
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #26

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Found this in a few minutes. I use to have one on a smaller vessel, it worked ok. Still have to pay attention as I could still burp up some fuel. Better to know the vessel and stop when your 90-95%.
Fuel Whistle Fits All Boats 5/8"" Fuel Lines
Old 07-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
For my two cents: Knowing how much fuel you have, how much you actually need, watching the fuel meter and NOT overfilling the tank would go a long way to keeping fuel IN the tank as opposed to overboard.

The other two cents is: The tool uses the baffles to collect the diesel so once you see the overflow you can stop filling to allow it to flow back into the tank.

The problem is.... The tank vent is lower that the fill. when the fill hose is overflowing, It has been my experience that the vent is overflowing as well. So This device is solely going to force the fuel out the vent, instead of the fill on deck.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #28
Guru

Cappy, for some reason I get a gusher out my fill pipe before fuel comes out the vent. If it came out the vent first I'd stop filing before it got on deck. Yes the vent is lower than my fuel fill. Come to think of it, I have a small outboard boat that does the same thing. I have no idea why this happens but it drives me crazy.

I can usually avoid the gusher but when it happens it is a PITA.
I'm going to buy one for my self but I won't be buying fuel for several months. I'm just starting a big project on Possum and won't be going anywhere.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Cappy, for some reason I get a gusher out my fill pipe before fuel comes out the vent. If it came out the vent first I'd stop filing before it got on deck. Yes the vent is lower than my fuel fill.
If the concept is to 'not have a spill on deck' then I would say this device is tops. If the concept is to NOT have any spill (whether on deck, or through vent) then the problem/solution lies elsewhere.

You describe the exact scenario that is seen at marinas all over. A bend in the fuel fill hose, an almost full tank, a high speed nozzle. The ability of a little 1/4" vent is far exceeded by a high capacity fuel nozzle flow. Clarify the distinction that the spill is: first at the nozzle, then second at the vent. It's the 'same spill'. It just happens at different times. (but it's still the same spill) That the vent is below the fill is going to make the spill happen regardless of whether the device works as intended. All coincide with a 'burp' at the end. The concept of the baffle over fill contraption would help stop the flood on deck. But, the overflow is still OVER the vent level. You have a spill on top, it also 'finishes' venting the tank over the side at the vent. In retrospect, I think this may be a result of improperly baffled tanks, not allowing the tank to vent easily, or completely. In this case, after a burp of two, one would think an owner would think "Gee, maybe I should not try to fill er up so much". Or not.

This device does not eliminate the vent issue. If one were going to try to stop overflows the simple way is to stop overfilling the tank, to keep the contents INside the tank where it belongs. Knowing how much you have, and how much you need to fill (not just 'fill it 'till it spurts out'.) is the answer.

I still think that having calibrated tank levels (and knowing what they are indicating prior to filling a tank) would be the best way to stop burping.

How 'full' are your tanks when they burp? Are you trying to top them off to the top of the fill neck? I work in a world where 98% is considered 'topped off'. (I use 90% on my little buggy here.) I never want to have a tank completely full.

I have 'TankTender' installed. To be honest, this is the first time I have used this system. Great, KISS, reliable. I know how much I have within 1/2". I have calculated my tank size. I know that I have 5 Gallons per inch. I know when I pull up to a dock, that if I am down 10 inches I can take 50 gallons. (no more) But, erring on the side of caution I load one inch less. (40 gallons). I have checked the amount when loading fuel. It's simple. It works. It doesn't spill anything in the drink. I don't have cross connected tanks (no worry about gravity). That brings up the concept of monitoring fuel tanks individually, as opposed to 'they are half full' Fill 'er up.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Cappy, for some reason I get a gusher out my fill pipe before fuel comes out the vent
Let me bore you with a scenario from the commercial world.

On my tug, the Chief Engineer actually measures the fuel tanks prior to loading fuel. He uses the calibrated tables to determine fuel tank levels, amount on board, and then (using the tables 'full volume') calculates the amount of fuel he needs to fill up the tanks. The commonality is: Both at a cargo berth and a fuel dock there is a meter. Half of the solution to 'not burping' out the fill is already there. (a Meter) The unknown part is: How much can I fit in the tank? (enter guesswork and estimation)...

I use the same theory when I fill up my boat. I look at the tank measurements, calculate how much each tank needs, and fill accordingly. Not very difficult.

Boats with tanks that are 'un gaugeable or un soundable' are not really a good idea. Sure, there are lots of them. But this would be proof that ABYC is not infallible. Surely can't have that can we??? :-)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Don't mean to hijack this thread... just thought I'd ask...

I've an important semi off-track / semi on-track question regarding potential for explosion that some posts in this thread hinted at:

When filling a metal gasoline tank... having a plastic funnel resting inside its fill pipe (i.e. touching the on deck portion of metal leading into the rubber fill pipe that leads to the metal gas tank’s top-surface fill hole) and the gas fill-nozzle (being it is either metal or plastic) doesn’t touch the plastic funnel is there chance of static electricity spark?

Likewise using scenario as above - if the fill-nozzle (being it is either metal or plastic) does touch the plastic funnel is there chance for static electricity spark?

I have seen both gasoline-filling circumstances utilized. I’ve also seen metal funnels used for same instances on the items mentioned.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #32
Guru

@Art. There are two different things happening, depending on whether its Gas or Diesel being loaded. Two HUGE differences.

You'll have to forgive my
Memory. It's been 30 years since I went to school for this.

Diesel is a static accumulator. You can literally dump diesel down a plastic pipe and nothing will happen for a few seconds But, given enough velocity and volume the diesel can create enough static electricity to cause a spark. The trick is to flow the diesel 'slow enough' so the static charge can slough off going down the pipe. I think, looking at this invention it would work for diesel. The volume of diesel isn't flowing fast enough to create enough static charge for this to be an issue (with diesel, kero or jet.).

Gasoline on the other hand........ We generate enough static just by doing ordinary things to make it go boom.

There is an alternate concept to put a Non conductive 'spark gap' so that the spark cannot jump the gap. This is how some oil terminals have their hose connections.

The problem I see with this is: This plastic tool creates no way for the grounding out of the tank to the fill. So this is actually working on this principle. BUT. This nonconductive connection is supposed to be sealed to the air. Not an open nozzle arrangement like this works as. It doesn't matter if there is a spark. As long as you don't have all three: an oxygen environment a spark and fuel you won't have fire. This device seems to allow (even encourage) spark, And using the baffles would allow both fuel and oxygen mix. All you need is spark jumping the gap. And then you're giving the plastic which allows static build up a fuel and air mixture.

The simple solution is to fill normally and keep the nozzle grounded.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #33
Guru

Instead of amending the last post, I'll try to be clearer about how fueling is supposed to work.

Any fuel system must be grounded, Earthed, Bonded to prevent static discharge.

The fuel tank on your boat is no exception. The tank is connected to the fill hose. The fill hose is connected to the deck fill. The hose (if properly constructed and installed) is electrically connected (ground wise) to both tank and fill.

The dock fuel hose is grounded through the dock bonding system, the fuel hose, and then the nozzle intself.

This is why we are supposed to 'contact the nozzle with the fill' before fuel flows. To complete the electrical circuit and let the static 'go' to eliminate it. The reasoning for keeping the nozzle in contact during the fill up is to continue to dissipate any further static buildup.

By putting an artificial plastic piece inbetween the nozzle and fill it is breaking the connection of the ground to earth.

I mentioned the 'alternative' method of eliminating static discharge with a 'gap'. This only works when the vessel has enough cathodic protection to dissipate, AND the dock has enough cathodic protection to dissipate. Most docks have NO idea what this is, never mind how it works!

In the method being used by this device, it is introducing the 'gap' but the vessel will be generating static buildup, with little ability to dissipate the charge. I hesitate to ask any one else reading when the last time you actually checked the resistance on you boats entire bonding cable system? Especially the fuel tanks. Now the docks using this 'gap' system must have a relatively large anode in the water, quite near the fuel dock, for the stray voltage to return to. There's more to the 'gap' system than meets the eye.
The simple solution to be able to use one of these devices would be to have a separate ground strap to clip on from deck fitting to the nozzle thus completing the circuit. But I know from experience in industry they are often ignored, forgotten and lost.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #34
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Thanks cappy - As I too understood things... with bit more detail than I would/could offer.

Will get back to you on this when/if time presents itself.

Cheers! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #35
Guru

And way more than I 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' too. This whole post brings up more questions than answers.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:33 AM   #36

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Just read through this thread (thanks to Hopcar linking in the 'New Device' thread). I really like the idea of the product in question. My problem is not so much over-filling gushers, but rather a gusher if I stop the fuel flow suddenly - at any tank level. My breathers work (I know this as some diesel froth comes out of them when tanks nearly full, plus can hear them working), but somehow I still get the gusher if I just stop the deisel flow cold. I have developed a 'feel' of how to slowly reduce fuel delivery before totally stopping which prevents or at worst minimises the problem, but still catches me out every once in a while. THe problem of diesel froth in the fill pipe when tank nearly full is also a pain in the arse - this product may sort that out as well.

At $80 they do seem expensive, but I'm half tempted to bite the bullet if they will prevent gushers that are the bane of my filling experiences. Just about to pull the tanks in the next couple of weeks anyway, so will investigate the breathers once tanks out. If I can't see/fix an obvious problem, I'll give the fill guard a try.

Bloody hell - postage alone from US is looking at between $64 and $90US. Petrafied - do you have any Australian distributors?
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #37

City: Vero Beach
Hey Shufti,
We are working on it...you can try BLA but they will not have stock yet.

Best bet is this side of the pond for now!

Petrafied
petrafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Just read through this thread (thanks to Hopcar linking in the 'New Device' thread). I really like the idea of the product in question. My problem is not so much over-filling gushers, but rather a gusher if I stop the fuel flow suddenly - at any tank level. My breathers work (I know this as some diesel froth comes out of them when tanks nearly full, plus can hear them working), but somehow I still get the gusher if I just stop the deisel flow cold. I have developed a 'feel' of how to slowly reduce fuel delivery before totally stopping which prevents or at worst minimises the problem, but still catches me out every once in a while. THe problem of diesel froth in the fill pipe when tank nearly full is also a pain in the arse - this product may sort that out as well.

At $80 they do seem expensive, but I'm half tempted to bite the bullet if they will prevent gushers that are the bane of my filling experiences. Just about to pull the tanks in the next couple of weeks anyway, so will investigate the breathers once tanks out. If I can't see/fix an obvious problem, I'll give the fill guard a try.

Bloody hell - postage alone from US is looking at between $64 and $90US. Petrafied - do you have any Australian distributors?
There is a second way to approach your problem and that is to identify and correct the source of the problem. While I recognize that a large percentage of boaters experience the problems you do, a properly working and designed system doesn't have those issues. It can be as simple as changing the routing of one hose or it can be quite complex. As to how to achieve it, I can't advise you, as I don't have the technical knowledge, but the one time I had such an issue on a new boat, the dealer was able to fix it and I knew others with similar issues that had them rectified. I do know a properly functioning fill system won't have the issues you're facing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:25 AM   #39

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Hi BandB,

yeah for sure re: id and correct problem. As I said I'm going to pull out the tanks in the next week or so to fix a leak (that seems to have started on or around Xmas day - merry Christmas shufti!). I'll be investigating the breather situation when I do - haven't been able to as yet then as tanks are in the way and bulkead the other side. FWIW, both tanks have same 'splash back' problem so I'm assuming some sort of design flaw. Are you (or anyone) able to offer opinions on how the ideal breather system is setup?
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #40

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
As someone mentioned I think if the company beefed up the construction of the product so it could take some abuse the target to buy these would be the owners of the fuel docks.

Have them on the fuel dock for each boater to use.

ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, preventer, spill