Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #21

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
So I must be doing something wrong because the resolution of the map is SO bad when I zoom in (for instance the Ballard Bridge in Seattle) to see numerous tags, the map is absolutely useless. It is so pixilated that i don't even bother to look at the app anymore. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm sure it's not supposed to be like this.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
So I must be doing something wrong because the resolution of the map is SO bad when I zoom in (for instance the Ballard Bridge in Seattle) to see numerous tags, the map is absolutely useless. It is so pixilated that i don't even bother to look at the app anymore. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm sure it's not supposed to be like this.
Are you using Active Captain Companion? Or clicking on an AC tag in a Nav App that supports AC?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #23

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
David, I'm using Active Captain app (Companion?). Not running it through other software.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
David, I'm using Active Captain app (Companion?). Not running it through other software.
That's the problem then. That's not the purpose of that app and you will not get clarity on zoom in with it. Try it with a nav app that supports AC and you will be able to zoom in with clarity.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Farmington, NM
Vessel Name: UTUG2
Vessel Model: Outer Reef 26
Jeffrey S,
I've been using Active Captain transposing anchorages onto my laptop using Navionics cartography of SE Alaska. Is a internet connection required to use Active Captain or is there a way to download the information for later use? If so, how would I go about doing so? The comments on each anchorage provide excellent information. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Jeff:

I have a suggestion for an enhancement to Active Captain that would make trip planning much more useful on the AC web site.

I am planning a 600 NM trip this spring from NC to Ct. I created a long route with more than 100 way points to deal with bends and zig zags in the ICW as well as other issues. So AC now tells me that the route is 620 NM long.

But I would really like to be able to click on a waypoint (not explicitly shown now, just a jog in the route) to get the total distance from the starting point so I can see if there is an anchorage near by. Then I can easily review the data on an adjacent anchorage and decide if that is a good stop. That would then let me know where to plan to anchor on each leg.

So, would it be possible to fix it so that while AC is displaying a route (blue line on the chart) you also show the waypoints as dots and then when you click on one, a data box pops up which gives distance data from the start? Even better would be to add the ability to mark a way point as the end of a leg in another color. That would let you easily visualize the whole long route as connected legs.

I know that you are focusing on add-ons to third party nav apps and the e-boat cards, but don't forget the utility of the on line web site for this kind of trip planning.

David
Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I'm sorry but having this ActiveCaptain 101 thread in the Commercial area cripples it from being able to be found.

If we're going to have an open learning place, it's got to be easy for others to find it or it's not worth the effort. So I'm going to stop contributing to this thread. Just so there's no confusion or rumors about it, this is the sole reason - this thread is too hidden from others to see.

I started an eBoatCards group called ActiveCaptain 101. Anyone can view the threads but to contribute and ask questions, you'll need to register an ActiveCaptain account and log into eBoatCards.com. Going to the URL for the group will display the opening info. If you Join the group, the group will be added to your personal list of groups. Clicking on it will open the the recent activity to see the latest threads.

Here's the ActiveCaptain 101 group:
http://www.eboatcards.com/activecaptain101/

Cheers!

...Jeff
Old 12-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #28
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Jeff:

I have a suggestion for an enhancement to Active Captain that would make trip planning much more useful on the AC web site.

I am planning a 600 NM trip this spring from NC to Ct. I created a long route with more than 100 way points to deal with bends and zig zags in the ICW as well as other issues. So AC now tells me that the route is 620 NM long.

But I would really like to be able to click on a waypoint (not explicitly shown now, just a jog in the route) to get the total distance from the starting point so I can see if there is an anchorage near by. Then I can easily review the data on an adjacent anchorage and decide if that is a good stop. That would then let me know where to plan to anchor on each leg.

So, would it be possible to fix it so that while AC is displaying a route (blue line on the chart) you also show the waypoints as dots and then when you click on one, a data box pops up which gives distance data from the start? Even better would be to add the ability to mark a way point as the end of a leg in another color. That would let you easily visualize the whole long route as connected legs.

I know that you are focusing on add-ons to third party nav apps and the e-boat cards, but don't forget the utility of the on line web site for this kind of trip planning.

David

I agree. I had to add up each different jag and jog to get the different distances. I did use the divider caliper tool but it is not as accurate.
I
Old 12-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #29
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I'm sorry but having this ActiveCaptain 101 thread in the Commercial area cripples it from being able to be found.

If we're going to have an open learning place, it's got to be easy for others to find it or it's not worth the effort. So I'm going to stop contributing to this thread. Just so there's no confusion or rumors about it, this is the sole reason - this thread is too hidden from others to see.

I don't understand what you mean, Jeff. The thread is easily visible to me, and has been right from the git-go. Didn't know it was in any sort of commercial area, nor did I have to care...

???

-Chris
Old 12-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I don't understand what you mean, Jeff. The thread is easily visible to me, and has been right from the git-go. Didn't know it was in any sort of commercial area, nor did I have to care...
Many
???

-Chris
Chris I think what Jeffery is saying is that it does not show in the right side under highlighted discussions. Many of us use that to see the new discussions.

It does make it more work to follow not to be there it is a shame he will not be continuing but I can see already a few people contributing that know a great deal more then me that i will be able to learn from

So since Jeffery is not going to continue and it will not be commercial should we start a new thread in another section? I am thinking this will make things easier
Old 12-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #31

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
It's easy to follow on the app. It shows up as Unread.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #32
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Hey folks,
Discussion of commercial products by commercial members needs to stay in the commercial forum. That's what it is here for. Y'all are welcome to continue discussion of this in whatever forum you would like, however, once members that have commercial interest engage in the conversation, it needs to be in this forum. Those are the rules.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
It's easy to follow on the app. It shows up as Unread.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
yes I see that nice and easier then laptop
Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #34

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Perhaps it's time to open, yet again, the other AC topic started here ... http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ain-17857.html

A bit confusing ... the rules and consequences, I mean.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Before I complain, I want to be sure I have this correct. At some point, the goal is to do all online access of AC through eboatcards? Will a user be able to suppress all the social media type stuff and just simply get back to what you get now on AC? Maybe it is just that I don't like change, but I actually do like it on some things. I, however, don't like facebook and don't care for anything that emulates it in any way and I have no desire whatsoever to have an eboatcard.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post

A bit confusing ... the rules and consequences, I mean.
Why do we have a Commercial Market Section?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #37
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Chris I think what Jeffery is saying is that it does not show in the right side under highlighted discussions. Many of us use that to see the new discussions.

Ah. The same list I didn't even know existed until day before yesterday

I guess since I always use New Posts, I always see everything that's currently active anyway... maybe similar to the Unread thing on the app. Didn't realize there's another way...

Anyway, for Jeff's benefit if he's still observing, seems like a minor detail, doesn't look too many folks had or are having much trouble finding the thread.

For mods, it also seems like a minor detail that posts in the Commercial area I guess aren't scraped into that highlighted list thingy that most folks seem to know about. Couldn't be all that difficult to scrape from one more section, if you were to choose to want that. Given that the thread appears in New Posts, I'm not sure I can imagine why you wouldn't want it to also appear in other highlighted areas, anyway.

Just kibitzing, of course

-Chris
Old 12-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #38
Guru

Just kibitzing, of course

well I sure do not have the answer seems like a great way to gather some more great members with more knowledge not that TF does not already have incredible knowledge

On the selfish side I wanted the Thread on TF because this is my go to site
Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #39
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I realize ActiveCaptain is a business but I guess I haven't used it enough to figure out what they are selling as it appears to be a free product for boaters. Somehow it doesn't seem like AC falls under the same commercial market environment as say a broker pitching a boat for sale or a marine supply store owner pitching anchors.

What am I missing here?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #40
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Well, Jeff I think that you are bailing out prematurely. Even getting a percentage of TF members like me who use the New Posts (or Unread Posts on some apps) is worthwhile. You have gotten several newbie type questions and a few more sophisticated ones- mine of course ;-) that seem worth answering. How many were you expecting? Why does more make it worth your time?

The active thread list is nice because clicking on one takes you to the last unread post. The New Posts list and presumably the Unread Post list on some apps does not. Maybe remembering where you are in the thread does make it harder for you. I am old fashioned and use the New Post list because it is universal to all BBS's. But I suspect a fair percentage of our members use the active posts list and therefore cannot see Active Captain 101 there.

I guess I understand why our esteemed moderators don't want that active thread list polluted with crass commercial stuff ;-). I hope that they don't do the same for New Posts.

David

Closed Thread