Old 10-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #21

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
I have a xenon flashing floating light, USCG approved. I have a pigtail on it with a snap so I can hook it to my life ring. The last USCG inspection I had, they still wanted to check my flares too.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I have a xenon flashing floating light, USCG approved. I have a pigtail on it with a snap so I can hook it to my life ring. The last USCG inspection I had, they still wanted to check my flares too.
I did a little research before buying and found that according to Weems & Plath: "NEVER BUY FLARES AGAIN! The SOS Distress Light is the ONLY LED Visual Distress Signal Device that meets U.S. Coast Guard requirements to completely replace traditional pyrotechnic flares. Unlike traditional flares, this electronic flare never expires, which solves the challenge of flare disposal. The LED light flashes up to 60 hours, unlike traditional flares that last minutes or less. It flashes only the SOS sequence, per USCG requirements, and is visible up to 10 nautical miles. When combined with a daytime distress signal flag (included in package), it meets ALL USCG Federal Requirements for DAY and NIGHT use, in lieu of traditional flares. This electronic flare floats and can be hand-held, tethered, or hoisted aloft. It operates with 3 standard C batteries. Complies with all U.S. Coast Guard requirements for “Night Visual Distress Signals” as found in the Code of Federal Regulations: 46 CFR 161.013."

USCG approved life jacket lights apparently do not satisfy all of those requirements. I imagine the differences are range, duration etc.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
USCG approved life jacket lights apparently do not satisfy all of those requirements. I imagine the differences are range, duration etc.
Correct!
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #24
Guru

BTW, if you were on the fence about getting one for $79.95 there's a little over 72 hours left...
Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by f508 View Post
Looks like a good product, just order one, but on eBay for $67.00 with free shipping.

Weems & Plath Electronic Flare - SOS Distress Light NIB | eBay
I ordered one from this guy. The order went through then 3 days later I got an email from Amazon that the seller was refunding my money. No reason stated, just that he was refunding it.

Got a similar email from the seller. Again, no reason stated.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I ordered one from this guy. The order went through then 3 days later I got an email from Amazon that the seller was refunding my money. No reason stated, just that he was refunding it.

Got a similar email from the seller. Again, no reason stated.
I'm sorry you had that experience. That seller is an unauthorized retailer (Weems & Plath have no idea who they are or how they got the product). I did hear from others who were lucky enough to get a light from them had strange receipts that showed the light was purchased from a different company altogether... Too fishy!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #27

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Just my opinion.
I am not saying, they do not have a place in your survival kit. I just question the wisdom of leaving flares out of the survival kit.
10 miles? Is that how far off the water?
On flat land, sure 10 miles. Add in 4 ft swells, that will cut down on the 'seen' distance.
I will still keep my flare gun and hand help flares.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I will still keep my flare gun and hand help flares.
That's what we've done, and we recommend the same to everyone.

My opinion is keeping expired flares (that typically work for many years after expiration) and having the SOS Light is the best of both worlds. One type will literally burn brightly for a few seconds to a couple minutes, and the other will run continuously for two and a half days.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #29
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Darren, FYI I ordered one from you and got the confirmation email back.

Thanks. Some of us old farts just never learn.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
I'm sorry you had that experience. That seller is an unauthorized retailer (Weems & Plath have no idea who they are or how they got the product). I did hear from others who were lucky enough to get a light from them had strange receipts that showed the light was purchased from a different company altogether... Too fishy!
I'm not sorry he had that experience. Sorry, GFC. Now the rest of this is not aimed at you, GFC, but at the general hijacking of Moonfish's advertising thread

Yes, it's all fishy, Moonfish. I hope that all purchased from the ebay person fail within a couple of months and they have no recourse.

A legitimate businessman, authorized seller of a product, member of TF, starts a thread promoting a discount on a great product. People choose to start promoting an ebay seller in his thread, not an authorized seller of the product and no idea where the product is coming from. Don't know if the product is legit or counterfeit or seconds or anything about it.

So, all this posted in a commercial user's advertising thread.

Trying to think back. What was the product some guy in FL was selling tons of on ebay which wasn't then warrantied by the manufacturer when it started rusting because it wasn't the legitimate product. Actually was inventory that was supposed to be destroyed. Lots of refurbished sold on ebay as new.

I use ebay. We've bought many collectibles there, especially items that are part of a collection and no longer produced. Business wise, we sell used cell phones, clearly identified as such, there. All the phones returned within the trial period.

However, if you purchase a product you clearly know isn't from an authorized seller and do it to save $12.95 or whatever versus a legitimate dealer, I don't feel at all bad when it doesn't work out. And when you hijack a legitimate reseller's thread, that of a TF member, to talk about the ebay source, that's just plain wrong in my opinion.

I know my bias as a retailer is showing through, as is my prior career as a manufacturer. However, I see people here talking all the time about the local chandler who closed, about the small business there no longer, and then we show once again we'll turn out back on them and even sabotage their thread. No.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #31
Guru

BandB, I appreciate your support and thank you for speaking out. I haven't had much participation from TFers on discounts, but then it's a very competitive landscape when you sell things online. I won't give up, though! BTW, GFC did order a light with the TF discount.

While thread hijack is not a good thing, it is oftentimes done unwittingly. I did something very similar on the recent Helmsman 38 review thread (where some started criticizing the "paid for" element of boat reviews, and I jumped in). I didn't mean to, but I did contribute to the change of tone in the OP's post.

I say that because when I first saw f508's post with the eBay link I was pissed. But I also saw that $67 for a light was a helluva deal. Soon found out it was a "fishy" seller, not necessarily a bad deal. But after it gained some traction I sent f508 a PM and let him know what he did was uncool. To his credit, he responded with an apology, admitting he didn't think about negatively impacting my thread and said he would not do that again.

But you are right, things like this are frustrating. I won't quit trying to extend deals to my fellow TFers. I just have to keep in mind an old business adage a friend of mine once said: "It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and sometimes I feel like I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear..." LOL!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If an OP has an issue with unwanted discussions on their classified, please inform the TF Site Team by reporting the post or addressing the poster directly by PM as Darren did.

The Site Team is prepared and ready to help when needed. Site Team members can be identified by the Bold Username and "TF Site Team" under the username.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote