I'm about to start a project on an older Chriscraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really great project to follow along, really saved an old classic from a certain death, congratulations!

It's nice to see these high quality older threads kicked back to life once in a while. I'd bet we've added 3,000+ members since the winter of 2012.

Well, now that you bring it up....

Scary,

I was not going to bug you about this, but now that this thread is active again....

I have run across several yachts that have been "extended". Is it at all reasonable that that 2-3 feet could be added to this ridiculously small cockpit on this Bluewater to make it useful?

Thanks in advance for your seasoned wisdom.

Attachments

• Cockpit.jpg
    Cockpit.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Monarch III.jpg
    Monarch III.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 182
Never realized that cockpit was so short. Must be restrictive with that transom door and another chair. Any photos of the stern on the hard? Is there a swim platform? Always liked that boat.

Stern of Bluewater

Larry,

I do not have pics of the Twin screws, but here are 2 shots of the stern of the single-screw one in Vancouver:

My preference would be for a single with Thrusters, but could live with a couple of Lehmans if necessary.

Attachments

• Stern View.jpg
    Stern View.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Prop, Thruster.jpg
    Prop, Thruster.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 168
My Tuesday is same boat. Twin lehmans but same hull and keel as single. I like the short aft deck. Gives a huge salon and galley up.

A nice Chris restoration just finished in Portland. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436550060.308689.jpg. A Commander. Not sure what year 1959 maybe.

Yes it's possible

Scary,

I was not going to bug you about this, but now that this thread is active again....

I have run across several yachts that have been "extended". Is it at all reasonable that that 2-3 feet could be added to this ridiculously small cockpit on this Bluewater to make it useful?

Thanks in advance for your seasoned wisdom.

This is done all the time. A couple of draw backs come to mind. The running gear will be forward what ever you add to the cockpit, on some boats this can cause handling problems in the open ocean with less rudder control. Ballance fore and aft will also change, not always a problem and can be compensated for by moving tankage or battery banks aft to the lazarette. Meridian did this with a 40' aft cabin and added a cockpit making it a 45', in this case handling suffered, didn't seem to effect popularity. In general I think good results are the result. Many boats change length in just this manner. it's a pretty big job however. There was a Hatteras 48 LRC who's owner was on this forum, I think the boat was called Paypen. It was stretched to 55' and cruised both coasts and the canal, it looked like a worthwhile addition.

After 10 months she takes the plunge

Very impressive work, Scary. It's great to see someone willing to take on the task of bringing a beautiful wood boat back to what may very well be better than new condition. Not many people today would want to make the effort, let alone know how to. While I will undoubtedly never see this boat in person, it's nice to know she's out there, doing what she was designed and built to do thanks to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom