Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #81
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I stopped by yesterday afternoon Steve and was quite impressed. The photographs really do not convey the size of job this really is.

Keep up the great work. You must be part magician.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #82
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Go Steve GO!! We hope to be up that way some time in Jan. Try to stop by for a look-see. You sure have progressed well since our first visit.

Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #83
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Here are the replaced keel and knee at the bow. The keel was pretty much carved by hand using chisels, scrapers, and hand planes. Everything is set in 5200 and will be treated with Smiths epoxy and bilge coated. all bronze boats have been replaced. the hull is almost completely refastened at this time. Just a few more frame to replace at the bow and we will be caulking and filling the thousands of screw hole with epoxy filler.
That's a work of art on it's own. If I had made anything that looked that good out of wood I'd stain it and hang it on the wall in my living room.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #84
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
There is a fellow called Hendo8 in west Australia, practically rebuilding a woodie from scratch, who might well want to tap you skills brain, Scary.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #85

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Steve, Your talent with wood truly amazes me. Hope all is well with you and yours. Once you get done with this project, maybe I could talk you into a much simpler one with Teak.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #86
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Here are the replaced keel and knee at the bow. The keel was pretty much carved by hand using chisels, scrapers, and hand planes. Everything is set in 5200 and will be treated with Smiths epoxy and bilge coated. all bronze boats have been replaced. the hull is almost completely refastened at this time. Just a few more frame to replace at the bow and we will be caulking and filling the thousands of screw hole with epoxy filler.
You sir, are a true Artisan.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #87
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Very impressive work Steve.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #88
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
There is a fellow called Hendo8 in west Australia, practically rebuilding a woodie from scratch, who might well want to tap you skills brain, Scary.
Hi Pete. Thanks for the intro.

Hi Scary. Yes I am doing a complete rebuild of a woodie. Ive made a thread on here With lots of pics etc. The only thing left original was the keel. Little bit different to yours as mine is cold moulded ply sheets but yeah might ask a few questions if I get stuck if that's ok?

Cheers mate
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #89
THD
Guru

I'm with JD-that is a beautiful piece of wood! From a single piece? or a laminated piece? You are an artisan.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #90
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Laminated

I could not buy a piece Philippine Mohogony locally that had the rough dimensions needed to produce this piece. It is made up of two pieces of 8/4. With added pieces of 4/4 at the top. Glued with water proof Titebond and through bolted. Most of the replacement frames will be laminated as well. I think in most cases I end up with a stronger piece of wood. All framing is treated with Smiths penetrating epoxy and painted with bilge coat. It is more work to laminate, however I am able to laminate bend into timber and have it fasten with out the screws having to force a cold bend into the timber. This obviously puts less load on fasteners.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #91
THD
Guru

Thanks for the info-you are really doing one hell of a job on that boat!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #92
Art
Guru

Congratulations, Steve

You are the top level of “Boat Building Art”. In memory and applause to artisans who built thousands of pieces comprising that Chris, you matched or bettered their artful skills while keeping a beautiful rendition of their boat building souls alive and intact.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #93
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Very impressive!!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #94
Guru

Progress

We are now into this job about $60,000. Half of it screws and bolts. The owner is getting uncomfortable with the expense and I don't blame him. One of the agreements with the yard when we hauled was that we would purchase supplies through them. We thought at the time we hauled the boat that the damage was pretty much exclusive to the transom. The boat appeared tight and sound forward. So we have been purchasing supplies as we progressed. If we had known the extent of the refastening we could have saved 30% or so on fasteners by purchasing around the marina in bulk. This yard has been very fair when it comes to insurance requirements as to liability and workman's comp, many yards want a 20% a share of our labor as well.
So in the long run the mark up on supplies has worked out well in the balance. If the owner had to pay the yard rate for labor this job would have been prohibitive. Attached are current pictures of progress with repaired or replaced frames and a ongoing dry rot repair on the stem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4259 Comp.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	15628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4255 comp.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	15629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4260 Comp.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	15630  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #95

City: Portland, Oregon
Vessel Name: Peregrinator
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 48
We stopped by last Saturday on our way to CES and took a look at the project, these pictures do not do it justice, Scary is a master craftsman. I do think these pictures are a little out of date, I am sure there was a lot more new wood in the bow.

When he is done this will we one outstanding vessel, good for another 40 years.

Keep up the good work.
Peregrinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #96
Guru

Current status

This project is still ongoing. Progress slow going. Here are some current photos. All the planks are machined from rough, cut using paper templates, fit on the boat, treated with copper green, bedded in Sinkaflex, and fastened. most of these planks take three to five tubes of caulking, and a hundred or so screws. In the photos you will see fender washers and wedges used to pull and force planks into compliance. Chriscraft used 3/8 plywood underlayment on the bottom of the hull with 5/8 planks fastened through the plywood to the frames. Originally fabric was applied to the plywood as a water barrier between the planks and the inner sheathing. This may have worked for a number of years until the fabric failed. This fabric failure is one of the major causes of dry rot in the sheathing and bottom planking. We are substituting Sinkaflex as a water barrier which I feel will be a near permanent solution. Every plank is treated with copper green including the 3/8 plywood sheathing and beaded in Sinkaflex. The plywood sheathing is coated with bilge coat as well. The hull side planking needed recaulking as well. Cleaning the old caulking revealed jagged seams that were unsightly to say the least. After cleaning the old caulking the seams have been caulked flush with smiths epoxy filler. We will recut plank seems with a small saw and batten fence to provide straight caulk lines before recaulking with Sinkaflex. This will restore the hull to near new condition.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4334 comp.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	17062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4319 comp.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	17063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4327 Comp.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	17064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4350 Comp.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	17065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344 comp.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	17066  

Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #97
Art
Guru

Steve

Your work is simply beautiful... your height of wood boat restoration is artistry! Although it will be a few weekends before I get out that way, I hope to top by when we drive to the area for a cruise on our Tolly. Keep up yhe great work!

Art
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #98
Veteran Member

City: Marysville, WA
Vessel Name: Nehalennia
Vessel Model: SeaRay 260DA "Sundancer"
I just read this whole thread. You've done a very nice job and I'm amazed how much time you've put in and how much $ the owner is surrendering.
Nicely done, it appears you're getting close.
www.vikingbay.co
VikingBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #99
Guru

Hull planking Completed

The bow planking is done and fairing pretty much done. Sanding, filling, caulking,painting, and remounting the boarding platform and we launch. The boat should be in the water in a couple of weeks or so. The owner probably would have not chosen to invest this much work and money into this boat had we known the extent of rot present in this boat. this job started out as replacing a few planks to a pretty extensive rebuild. The hull is probably good for another 40 years at this point. It is impossible to estimate rot repair as it is very difficult to evaluate how extensive dry rot damage is without destructive removal. Pleasure boats are not rational investments, wooden boats have to have owners who are passionate about the history or classic beauty of these old boats invest in the repair cost. Most owners of these old classics have much more invested in the repair and maintenance then they could ever sell them for. You really do have a boat that is unique when you own wooden yacht. They are floating furniture, marine art, maybe an symbol of old money, They have a feel unlike any fiberglass boat, they even smell different. But then again maybe that's the smell of dry rot! The soft feel of the wooden framing and appearance varnished wood, the teak decks, just a pleasure to experience. Hopefully the owner will recapture the spirit, however his butt is a little sore at the moment. When jobs like this get bigger and bigger and the owner gets sucked in chasing what seems to good money after bad it take the pleasure out of restoration, it puts pressure on just getting the job done and over with. This can get to be a very slippery slope as short cuts in quality can compromise the quality work already done shortening the life of the boat. You have to hang tough and spend the time to properly finish the job. Wooden boats are expensive if you can do the work yourself, they are ridiculous if you have to pay others to do the work. At this point we have about 2000 hrs in this repair.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4364 Comp.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	17276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4365 Comp.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	17277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4366 Comp.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	17278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4367 Comp.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	17279  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #100
Art
Guru

Steve - 2000 hrs = 50 - 40 hr weeks, for one. With more yet to go, to complete your wonderful wood boat Chris Craft restoration... WOW!!!