Old 01-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Somerset
Chris Craft Corinthian

Any love for the Corinthian 38 here?
We're still fiddling with our Silverton 31, but like any boater, dreaming about the next one. I'm thinking 35-38 foot for the next one, and the Corinthian 38 has caught my eye. Accommodations look great and it even has a small aft cockpit for boarding, line handling and dinghy load and launch. They seem to be a bit of a white elephant, not quite trawler, not quite MY, almost a houseboat (but isn't that half of what Trawler-boating is all about. I know, I know, twin 454's, but having a twin screw already, I'm ok with that. I'd run at trawler speeds to minimize the fuel consumption.
Anyone know where they were built? What hull form it is? How the hull and decks have endured?

There is a '70's model offered by a two-boat owner for pretty cheap. We're going to look just to get a feel for the layout, etc. And it's a 70's Chris Craft. They had a good rep back them for building solid boats.
swampyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
One thing about 454 gas engines, parts and mechanics will never be an issue.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I am not sure if they were built in the Algonac, MI plant or not. Yes Chris used to build a nice boat back then. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 55
I know of a couple of owners, both are very happy with their boats.

The Corinthian is a bit of an oddity even amongst the Chris Craft fans because of it's styling departure from the classic motor yacht look that the Commanders, Constellations, and Roamers were still using.

It's a very effective use of space though, you'll find the interior very spacious for the hull size. And I love the cockpit with walk through transom door and full entry door rather than just a companionway hatch.

Hull is typical hard chines semidisplacement. It should run 18-20kts full cruise, economical displacement cruise at 6-7 kts.

Hull should be solid glass, decks probably cored, cabintop definitely cored. No issues there from the factory, it'll depend on owner upkeep and modifications as to whether the core has gotten wet.

Interior will be 70s laminate paneling. The solid wood interiors were the first thing to go when construction costs started rising in the late 60s. It holds up fine, but it's definitely a dated look.
Commander Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great info here, thanx!

I get it that the Corinthian is a love-it-or-hate-it design. I'm in and out on it myself. Part of what attracts me is the trawler-on-the-cheap design, and the Chris Craft reputation for solid boats supposedly built in USA- at least in the 70's.
I've seen some in gaudy '70's wood grain or white laminate, and others with nicer solid wood interiors. I'd really like to see some in person, and preferably on the water to get a feel for them.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 55
It was built in the USA for certain, though I can't tell you what location.

I think they look a little funky, but for the amenities and space you get in that hull size I'm ok with a little funky.

If youre running it slow the fuel cost isn't much more than diesels. And you can rebuild 454s 3 times for less than the cost of a Detroit Diesel rebuild. For under 40' gas engines run at trawlers speeds have a lot of advantages in operating cost. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to rebuild/maintain, and not terrible on fuel at hull speed operation.

I have a 1970 Chris Craft Commander, so I'm a little biased. But if it's well maintained (and I didn't need 3 staterooms) I'd definitely consider a Corinthian.
Commander Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We looked at a '78 Corinthian and my wife hated the layout, so I guess it's off the table. Too bad because there's alot of boat there for the money.
I thought the aft cabin layout would appeal to he but she thought it was too busy and cramped.
You learn a bit more with every boat you see.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
There were two different layouts. The layout of the 83-85 models was IMHO a significant improvement. I have a friend with the later model layout. I really like it.

The access from the bridge to the salon is a little awkward. You need to really duck as you start going down the stairs to avoid hitting your head on the hatch.

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/po...acht-research/
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote