Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #121

City: Punta Gorda
Can anyone tell them what the expected gph would be on a 6v92 or a 8v92?? At what RPMs?

Thanks!

Silver Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #122
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.detroitdieselpartsdirect....sure-Craft.pdf

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #123
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio, Boat is located in Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Bluebonnet
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 500
My full paint job cost me about $50k. It was 3 coat of white Gel including the bottom paint replacement. They did a great, the boat looks great and I'm hoping this will last for 15+ years.
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #124
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
My full paint job cost me about $50k. It was 3 coat of white Gel including the bottom paint replacement. They did a great, the boat looks great and I'm hoping this will last for 15+ years.
So less say $3-$4000 for the bottom job, say $46,000 for gelcoat.

Why gelcoat over something like Awlgrip?

What year is your boat?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #125
Veteran Member

That's about right - $4k for the bottom and the rest for the hull and top.
All the tops are Awlgrip (where we walk), the rest is Gelcoat. I could have spent $18k for just painting, but Gelcoat will last 3x longer (but is more expensive).

My boat is 1985 and looks like new now. We added a 5' swim platform at the stern and also replaced all the electronics.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #126
Guru

I just picked up a 50' 1990 CC that we are going to spruce up.

A good friend does spray Awlgrip jobs so that's the way we will go. Plus the price is right.

We might go with this color scheme. Except with a thinner yellow stripe between the bottom paint and boot stripe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	51245  
Old 04-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Very nice boat you bought. You will love her I guarantee it. Either at anchor, cruising or in a Marina, she will serve you well. What you need now is a nice wooden dinghy to complement he...

Good luck in your painting and keep us posted
Old 04-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Very nice boat you bought. You will love her I guarantee it. Either at anchor, cruising or in a Marina, she will serve you well. What you need now is a nice wooden dinghy to complement he...

Good luck in your painting and keep us posted
Just be clear, that is not a picture of the boat we bought. That is a completely different boat that just happens to have the paint colors we are considering.

As for a tender, we are considering a Livingston.

I have been considering adding a bigger swim platform as you did.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #129
Veteran Member

3 day trip in Texas !

I'm so excited. Casting off soon on a 3 day cruise from Corpus Christi Texas and heading to Kemah near Houston.

Boat is ready (well, almost...), and the crew will be myself and two other cruising friends.
We plan to do this 230nm trip in 3 legs of about 8 hours each. ICW for the first and last leg, and if the weather is good, we'll be in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday (hoping to catch some fish maybe).

Plan to drop anchor first night near Port O'Connor and stay at a marina the next night.

We'll keep posting updates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluebonnet.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	52330  
Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #130

City: Owings, Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Just be clear, that is not a picture of the boat we bought. That is a completely different boat that just happens to have the paint colors we are considering.

As for a tender, we are considering a Livingston.

I have been considering adding a bigger swim platform as you did.
Is that a Rybovich modeling those paint colors?
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #131

City: Port Saint Joe
Vessel Name: Docs Holiday
Vessel Model: 1989 Chris Craft 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Lining View Post
Can anyone tell them what the expected gph would be on a 6v92 or a 8v92?? At what RPMs?

Thanks!
Recently brought our boat from Eastport, Maine to port Saint Joe, Fl. At 1200 rpm we ran 9.2 knots and burned about 10 gallons per hour with our 20 kW Onan generator running. We have 6 v92. 550 hp with a little over 3,000 hrs.
Docs Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #132

Quote:
I'm so excited. Casting off soon on a 3 day cruise from Corpus Christi Texas and heading to Kemah near Houston.

Boat is ready (well, almost...), and the crew will be myself and two other cruising friends.
We plan to do this 230nm trip in 3 legs of about 8 hours each. ICW for the first and last leg, and if the weather is good, we'll be in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday (hoping to catch some fish maybe).

Plan to drop anchor first night near Port O'Connor and stay at a marina the next night.

We'll keep posting updates
Have a great trip...sent you a pm
Old 09-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Lining View Post
This is my first post. I'm thinking about looking for a Connie to buy but I'm concerned about the 6v92TA engines. Isn't 550hp way too much for a 6 cylinder engine?? Even if they have a blower? I've been on a fact finding mission before I make a decision. I read some comments that at this hp and 6 cylinder the engines expected lifespan is only about 1200-1500 hrs??
For a diesel engine????? Can anyone add some opinions and your experiences with the reliability and lifespan of these engines? I would appreciate any words of wisdom any owners would like to offer. I've boated all my life so not new to the game. I have a turnkey 93' 3888 Bayliner and thinking about going to the Connie.
Thanks for your comments!! Capt V
I have Chris 501 since 2003...(Google Doc's Holiday Coming Home) 6v92 550 hp. Generally run at 1200 rpm which carries her at 9.2 knots. Recent compression check shows all within spec. and with just over 3,000 hrs. on them. We have taken her from Beaumont, Texas to Corpus Christie and to the Canadian border in Maine and back. Routine maintenance was oil and filter change every 150 hrs even though she has oil spinners on motor and generator. It's all in how you care for and treat your motors! My advice is do not buy a
"Dock Queen!" Low hours on an older boat usually means she hasn't been run...these boats go down hill fast if not used.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #134

City: niagara falls ny
Vessel Name: cambria lady
Vessel Model: 1988 Chris 501
Capt Bill 11, Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Was in Fla and very busy! Paint job by Diversified involved 2 years and lots of other stuff. Boat looks absolutely NEW! I would guess paint(waterline up and deck fittings removed) was probably $60,000+. Also replaced old wood bow rail with new SS bow rail. Installed custom "Marquip" style crane and 12ft Tender. VERY expensive extras but I met the son of the old CC Dealer on West coast. He looked boat over, asked if for sale and said he saw several 501 new from factory and none looked as good as the job Diversified did! I do need help with the on board water system. There are two 120 gal tanks, one in the generator rm and the other hidden aft,connected by hose.Which one does DECK water fitting feed? I think the aft tank leaks and want to abandon same, plug off the front and use the forward tank or replace the forward tank. It looks like an "easier" job than messing with aft tank. What do you think and I would be very happy to pay for a copy of the water lines AND a fuel line schematic, if you have them. Call me 716 628 9003 Gary Thanks PS reason so busy is we were hit by Tornado at Ft Myers Beach, 6 boats hit, no one hurt, one boat picked up and thrown into dock. It was only a 40ft 15 ton boat! We had about $9K in damage...lucky!

cambria lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connies