Vessel Model: Chris Craft 501
Saw your boat at hooking bull sorry missed you

Scottflys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #102
Veteran Member

City: ChicagoIL home, orange Beach, AL now
Vessel Name: Miss Donna
Vessel Model: Chris craft constellation
Those and many other handles are backwards on Miss Donna.

Miss Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #103
Veteran Member

City: niagara falls ny
Vessel Name: cambria lady
Vessel Model: 1988 Chris 501
501 fuel management

scottfly2 and francois, Thanks for the responses but only me and the ghost of owners past have had access during the critical time period and I didn't do it, honest. Based upon my limited traveling ,I'll probably figure it out about the time I sell, or not. Can either of you answer these questions? Do you know how thick the hull is near the two 5/8 inch sceened vents ,starboard about a foot below gunnel, below galley windows area? AND ... on the fresh water system, I have gray plastic hose with compression type fittings that I believe are called Guest fittings. Can you replace fittings with Shark fittings and replace hose with "pecs" hose(a relatively new product in US but being widely used on residential and commercial plumbing) ? GaryD
cambria lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #104
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio, Boat is located in Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Bluebonnet
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 500
Sorry I miss you. They did a great bottom job and I should be good for a couple of years...
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #105

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: gemba
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 501
Yes you can use shark bites I have used them all over boat with good results
Scottflys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #106
Veteran Member

We're thinking to perform major refit of our Connie 500...
Here are the to do's:
* Swim platform extension to 5' (from current 3')
* Wesmar stabilizers 4802
* Bow thruster
* Re Gelcoat everything (3 layers) - boatyard says it is better than repainting (is he right?)
* External wood work (make them look shiny again)
* Polishing of all railings
* fuel tank addition - we'll try adding 200 Gal
* New SIMRAD electronics (all of it)
* Renov kitchen, all toilets, new counters, new carpet
* Redo both shafts connection to transmission - boatyard say they are dripless, but they are dripping (normally in my opinion )
* change all the outside hoses of my Detroit 6v92 engines

Boatyard estimate 4 months and a price tag close to $200k

Do you think we're crazy?
We love this boat and plan to keep her for many years to come...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #107
Veteran Member

City: Portland Oregon
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Chris Craft Constellation 500s

Francois,
I did similar work on my Chris Craft Dcfb against advice of surveyor!!
First make sure your hull is sound before you pour in the money. Mine was. Surveyor was technically and financially correct but I had 15 years of fun planning executing then enjoying.

I put in a pair of new 300hp yanmars, a new 5kw genset, new tanks, exhausts, props, shafts, re fastened the hull with an extra screw between, remodeled galley and salon with wainscot board new appliances etc. New electric head in master aft cabin. All new Raytheon suite. I did lots myself and farmed out the big stuff. Spent a bit over $100k in 2000-3. Got 10 years of great use. Get more quotes and build your dream. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416885745.120221.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	34797. New owner got a deal but now I am making a new dream with a GB 46

Dan
Sapphire
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Francois, I understand all the things you want on a boat and do agree however I would look for a comp vessel that already has most all those items. If you can put 200k into a 25 year old boat, I feel you would be better off with some else's 200-300k updates for far less! As you know, you will never get your 200k back but you may get most back if you take advantage of some one elses
200k update?! Cambria Lady
Old 04-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #109

City: Punta Gorda
1985 Connie 6v92TA

This is my first post. I'm thinking about looking for a Connie to buy but I'm concerned about the 6v92TA engines. Isn't 550hp way too much for a 6 cylinder engine?? Even if they have a blower? I've been on a fact finding mission before I make a decision. I read some comments that at this hp and 6 cylinder the engines expected lifespan is only about 1200-1500 hrs??
For a diesel engine????? Can anyone add some opinions and your experiences with the reliability and lifespan of these engines? I would appreciate any words of wisdom any owners would like to offer. I've boated all my life so not new to the game. I have a turnkey 93' 3888 Bayliner and thinking about going to the Connie.
Thanks for your comments!! Capt V
Silver Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #110
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
6V92s at 550 hp are shortlived, if ran anywhere near rated output. 8V92s at 550 hp are pretty good. I have a pair of 550 hp 8v92s in a Chris Craft 482 Commander. They have around 3000 hours on them and run fine. That being said, I would find a boat with just about any other power option. Or get a good deal on a boat you like and repower with newer engines. I really like the Cummins QSM11.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #111
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. The more you blow, the sooner you row.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #112

City: Punta Gorda
Connie 6v92TA

Kulas44

My homework paid off. I searched the web to investigate these engines and found 1 comment about the lifespan. So I kept digging to found a few more facts and I agree 550hp is too much for 6 cylinder. Glad I found this forum to ask for a few more opinions. I totally agree. Look for a different engine.
Thanks for your time to reply!!!
Silver Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #113
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Lining View Post
Kulas44

My homework paid off. I searched the web to investigate these engines and found 1 comment about the lifespan. So I kept digging to found a few more facts and I agree 550hp is too much for 6 cylinder. Glad I found this forum to ask for a few more opinions. I totally agree. Look for a different engine.
Thanks for your time to reply!!!
I wouldn't be so fast to pass on those engines. If they are not run up near their full rated HP all the time and treated well they can last a long time. Most people only put about a 100 hours a year on their boat. So 10+ years of service out of those engines is not uncommon.

I just picked up a free to us 1990 501 Chris Craft with 550 HP 6v92s in it that have not been rebuilt in the last 15 years AFAIK and they start up from cold with just a puff of smoke and then settle into a nice smooth and smokeless idle.

Run them at trawler speed with the proper temps and run them up to cruise RPMs for 10 minutes or so on most days and they should last for years without any major troubles.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Reply to Capt V

Capt V sent, "I'm concerned about the 6v92TA engines. Isn't 550hp way too much for a 6 cylinder engine". You're probably right, this is MY first experience with "2cycle" diesels,but a friend of mine runs his 501(6V92s) at manuf spec rpms which is about 1800rpm and 175F, and has 3500+ hrs, no problems and plenty of cross hatching on cyl walls. Since I use my 501 on the Florida Inter coastal a lot ,I run at hull speed+/- 1150-1200rpm. My mechanics ALL say you MUST run 92s at spec temperature(175F) or they won't last much past 2500hrs, if that. I run at 1800 when I can but 1200 only gets them to about 165F. I've heard all the arguments about trolling for all day at 1000rpm but ALL the experts and factory say at temp about 1800 rpm and they will last. According to the experts, it has to do with pressure on the rings and nothing to do with burning off the carbon build up. If you buy any "older salt water boat, hire a really good surveyor with an ENGINE ANALYSIS! Don't "cut corners" on a survey or when running Florida waters! Change ANY cast iron parts to stainless steel that have been touching salt water like "risers" or any exhaust parts, no matter what anybody tells you! And good luck, Cambria Lady- Gary
Old 04-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #115
Veteran Member

CC 501 Questions

This is really a new post vs reply(forgot how to post new!). I have been working on my "88 501 since 2013 and am ALMOST near done, if there is such a thing! Eg: rebuilt port eng w/900 hrs due to riser failure, ,complete maintenance on all engines, pulled/rebuilt running gear, rebedded all 157 screws on bridge, reconfigured bridge with custom davit crane and 12ft tender, new galley, and all soft goods new AC pump, HW tank, much more and finally a COMPLETE NEW Awlgrip paint job by Diversified at Ft Meyers 2015( not cheap but looks unbelievable and NEW!). I've gained experience on "most" of the systems( happy to share if you need any help) but need some help on 2 issues. Does anyone have a potable waterline diagram and also any experience on the fuel 6 port fuel valve? I am going to replace as many water lines (and the pump system) as I can with the new "pex" (red and blue) lines and shark bite fittings and at least open and clean the one accessible water tank which is in generator bay. I am going to replace one of my 6 way fuel vales as it's acting like the bottom section "snapped", can't see any other explanation due to the way it's performing. Thanks, PS I "think" the late 1980s 50 Connie is probably the same water and fuel set-up.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #116
Guru

I have owned several 2 stroke DDs. I like the old things but stand by my advice that just about any other engine is preferable. Find a boat that has already had the money spent on it by someone else. This post alone has a few examples (someday they will be for sale) and there are many more available and on the market at any given time. An old Hatt or Bertram would be a better candidate for a 200k refit, at least as far as resale value (return$$$), at the very least they have a better market following, making them more "sellable". The older Chris Crafts are great boats, just not great sellers, i.e., they can be had for cheap compared to other more popular names. It will cost at least as much, usually more, to get an old Chris in top condition as it would for a Hatt. Initial purchase price becomes less of a factor.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #117
Guru

Did I mention that I own an old Chris Craft, and really like the old girl. Just not disallusioned.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #118
Veteran Member

I own a 1985 Constellation CC for about 5 years now and very pleased with her. Engines are 6Vs with over 3500 hours and I run them at around 1500 RPM average (w/ 100 hours of engine time per year).
The work done on them since I bought was new injectors ($5k) and a new turbo due to exaust leak ($5k).
Have fun in you assessment!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #119
Guru

WOW, $5k for 12 injectors. And another WOW, $5k for a turbo. I bought 16 new in the box 9225 injectors for $400, surplus NOS. $2000 to have all 4 turbos rebuilt by an outfit out of Beaumont Tx. But, nobody works on my engines, just me. I run on beer and rum so labor is not a factor. I think I need to buy me some better rum. I'm not paying myself enough.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #120
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambria lady View Post
This is really a new post vs reply(forgot how to post new!). I have been working on my "88 501 since 2013 and am ALMOST near done, if there is such a thing! Eg: rebuilt port eng w/900 hrs due to riser failure, ,complete maintenance on all engines, pulled/rebuilt running gear, rebedded all 157 screws on bridge, reconfigured bridge with custom davit crane and 12ft tender, new galley, and all soft goods new AC pump, HW tank, much more and finally a COMPLETE NEW Awlgrip paint job by Diversified at Ft Meyers 2015( not cheap but looks unbelievable and NEW!). I've gained experience on "most" of the systems( happy to share if you need any help) but need some help on 2 issues. Does anyone have a potable waterline diagram and also any experience on the fuel 6 port fuel valve? I am going to replace as many water lines (and the pump system) as I can with the new "pex" (red and blue) lines and shark bite fittings and at least open and clean the one accessible water tank which is in generator bay. I am going to replace one of my 6 way fuel vales as it's acting like the bottom section "snapped", can't see any other explanation due to the way it's performing. Thanks, PS I "think" the late 1980s 50 Connie is probably the same water and fuel set-up.

The 1990 I just picked up has a full set of boat systems drawings. They might be of help to you.

Do you mind telling me about what you payed to paint the boat? And was it a spray job or roll and brush?

And yes, as I alluded to in my earlier post, running the Detriots at proper temp is very important for their longevity.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connies