Chris Craft Constellation 500s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Gemba,
Where do you go to get your bottom job done near Rockport / Port-A ?
(cleaning, anti-fooling paint, ....)

Rockport

Hi Francois I use Hooking Bull Boatyard for haul out they pressure wash then block the boat. I buy zincs on line from Zinc Doctor and shop on line for bottom paint. I can either have Hooking Bull do paint or hire someone to help me and do it myself. Hooking Bull. hookingbull.com/services/index.html

What is the air filter part id I need for my 6v92 engines?
I found several on NAPA so I'm not sure which one to order.

I replaced my air filter/ silencers this summer. The foam had totally desienegrated. Could not find the exact filter. However Nashville Filter had 6 older ones that they were about to scrap. They are longer so I had to buy 6" elbows and make some hanging brackets. I paid $20 per filter. $40 for elbow and bracket

Gemba, I made it to Hooking Bull this last Friday for a bottom job. Nice boatyard and Jaime (the owner) was pleasant to work with.

The cruise down to Rockport was nice and I plan to bring her back next weekend.
Francois

While running on one engine the other day, I found out I can do this only using my SB engine... When trying with the Port one, my boat can't go strait.
This is bizarre and I can't figure out why. I'll try again after my props and shafts are cleaned.

While running on one engine the other day, I found out I can do this only using my SB engine... When trying with the Port one, my boat can't go strait.
This is bizarre and I can't figure out why. I'll try again after my props and shafts are cleaned.

Hi Francois I will be in rockport on Tuesday also need to do haul out soon. Glad you had good experience at hooking bull gemba

501 chris craft fuel management manifold

I thought I had the fuel system figured out ....but maybe not. My thought was that the arrow end points to tank in use. As you face manifold ... all the way right is "off", left is engine room tank, and to rear is "aft" tank. At last fill a few weeks ago, both were pointed toward "aft" which was the last fill up. Then this happened... port aft took correct amount of fuel but starboard aft took zero, Instead starboard engine room took correct amount . I could not believe my eyes and went to engine room where starboard and port BOTH pointed to AFT. Am I older than I thought or is it possible for the valve to somehow get "out of time"? GaryD

Hi Cambria, on my boat, all appears to work fine... the fuel is being taken from where the lever points (either AFT or Engine room).
I never tried the middle "emergency crossover" lever though...

Did you try to position the SB lever to Forward? (maybe it will draw from the AFT tank)

good luck

Hi Cambria

Maybe someone put the handle on wrong
Gemba

Saw your boat at hooking bull sorry missed you

Those and many other handles are backwards on Miss Donna.

501 fuel management

scottfly2 and francois, Thanks for the responses but only me and the ghost of owners past have had access during the critical time period and I didn't do it, honest. Based upon my limited traveling ,I'll probably figure it out about the time I sell, or not. Can either of you answer these questions? Do you know how thick the hull is near the two 5/8 inch sceened vents ,starboard about a foot below gunnel, below galley windows area? AND ... on the fresh water system, I have gray plastic hose with compression type fittings that I believe are called Guest fittings. Can you replace fittings with Shark fittings and replace hose with "pecs" hose(a relatively new product in US but being widely used on residential and commercial plumbing) ? GaryD

Sorry I miss you. They did a great bottom job and I should be good for a couple of years...

Yes you can use shark bites I have used them all over boat with good results

We're thinking to perform major refit of our Connie 500... :facepalm:
Here are the to do's:
* Swim platform extension to 5' (from current 3')
* Wesmar stabilizers 4802
* Bow thruster
* Re Gelcoat everything (3 layers) - boatyard says it is better than repainting (is he right?)
* External wood work (make them look shiny again)
* Polishing of all railings
* fuel tank addition - we'll try adding 200 Gal
* New SIMRAD electronics (all of it)
* Renov kitchen, all toilets, new counters, new carpet
* Redo both shafts connection to transmission - boatyard say they are dripless, but they are dripping (normally in my opinion :ermm:)
* change all the outside hoses of my Detroit 6v92 engines

Boatyard estimate 4 months and a price tag close to $200k :banghead:

Do you think we're crazy? :confused:
We love this boat and plan to keep her for many years to come...

Francois,
I did similar work on my Chris Craft Dcfb against advice of surveyor!!
First make sure your hull is sound before you pour in the money. Mine was. Surveyor was technically and financially correct but I had 15 years of fun planning executing then enjoying.

I put in a pair of new 300hp yanmars, a new 5kw genset, new tanks, exhausts, props, shafts, re fastened the hull with an extra screw between, remodeled galley and salon with wainscot board new appliances etc. New electric head in master aft cabin. All new Raytheon suite. I did lots myself and farmed out the big stuff. Spent a bit over $100k in 2000-3. Got 10 years of great use. Get more quotes and build your dream. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416885745.120221.jpg. New owner got a deal but now I am making a new dream with a GB 46

Dan

Last edited:
Francois, I understand all the things you want on a boat and do agree however I would look for a comp vessel that already has most all those items. If you can put 200k into a 25 year old boat, I feel you would be better off with some else's 200-300k updates for far less! As you know, you will never get your 200k back but you may get most back if you take advantage of some one elses
200k update?! Cambria Lady

1985 Connie 6v92TA

This is my first post. I'm thinking about looking for a Connie to buy but I'm concerned about the 6v92TA engines. Isn't 550hp way too much for a 6 cylinder engine?? Even if they have a blower? I've been on a fact finding mission before I make a decision. I read some comments that at this hp and 6 cylinder the engines expected lifespan is only about 1200-1500 hrs??
For a diesel engine????? Can anyone add some opinions and your experiences with the reliability and lifespan of these engines? I would appreciate any words of wisdom any owners would like to offer. I've boated all my life so not new to the game. I have a turnkey 93' 3888 Bayliner and thinking about going to the Connie.
Thanks for your comments!! Capt V

6V92s at 550 hp are shortlived, if ran anywhere near rated output. 8V92s at 550 hp are pretty good. I have a pair of 550 hp 8v92s in a Chris Craft 482 Commander. They have around 3000 hours on them and run fine. That being said, I would find a boat with just about any other power option. Or get a good deal on a boat you like and repower with newer engines. I really like the Cummins QSM11.

Connie 6v92TA

Kulas44

My homework paid off. I searched the web to investigate these engines and found 1 comment about the lifespan. So I kept digging to found a few more facts and I agree 550hp is too much for 6 cylinder. Glad I found this forum to ask for a few more opinions. I totally agree. Look for a different engine.
Thanks for your time to reply!!!

Kulas44

My homework paid off. I searched the web to investigate these engines and found 1 comment about the lifespan. So I kept digging to found a few more facts and I agree 550hp is too much for 6 cylinder. Glad I found this forum to ask for a few more opinions. I totally agree. Look for a different engine.
Thanks for your time to reply!!!

I wouldn't be so fast to pass on those engines. If they are not run up near their full rated HP all the time and treated well they can last a long time. Most people only put about a 100 hours a year on their boat. So 10+ years of service out of those engines is not uncommon.

I just picked up a free to us 1990 501 Chris Craft with 550 HP 6v92s in it that have not been rebuilt in the last 15 years AFAIK and they start up from cold with just a puff of smoke and then settle into a nice smooth and smokeless idle.

Run them at trawler speed with the proper temps and run them up to cruise RPMs for 10 minutes or so on most days and they should last for years without any major troubles.

Last edited:
Reply to Capt V

Capt V sent, "I'm concerned about the 6v92TA engines. Isn't 550hp way too much for a 6 cylinder engine". You're probably right, this is MY first experience with "2cycle" diesels,but a friend of mine runs his 501(6V92s) at manuf spec rpms which is about 1800rpm and 175F, and has 3500+ hrs, no problems and plenty of cross hatching on cyl walls. Since I use my 501 on the Florida Inter coastal a lot ,I run at hull speed+/- 1150-1200rpm. My mechanics ALL say you MUST run 92s at spec temperature(175F) or they won't last much past 2500hrs, if that. I run at 1800 when I can but 1200 only gets them to about 165F. I've heard all the arguments about trolling for all day at 1000rpm but ALL the experts and factory say at temp about 1800 rpm and they will last. According to the experts, it has to do with pressure on the rings and nothing to do with burning off the carbon build up. If you buy any "older salt water boat, hire a really good surveyor with an ENGINE ANALYSIS! Don't "cut corners" on a survey or when running Florida waters! Change ANY cast iron parts to stainless steel that have been touching salt water like "risers" or any exhaust parts, no matter what anybody tells you! And good luck, Cambria Lady- Gary

CC 501 Questions

This is really a new post vs reply(forgot how to post new!). I have been working on my "88 501 since 2013 and am ALMOST near done, if there is such a thing! Eg: rebuilt port eng w/900 hrs due to riser failure, ,complete maintenance on all engines, pulled/rebuilt running gear, rebedded all 157 screws on bridge, reconfigured bridge with custom davit crane and 12ft tender, new galley, and all soft goods new AC pump, HW tank, much more and finally a COMPLETE NEW Awlgrip paint job by Diversified at Ft Meyers 2015( not cheap but looks unbelievable and NEW!). I've gained experience on "most" of the systems( happy to share if you need any help) but need some help on 2 issues. Does anyone have a potable waterline diagram and also any experience on the fuel 6 port fuel valve? I am going to replace as many water lines (and the pump system) as I can with the new "pex" (red and blue) lines and shark bite fittings and at least open and clean the one accessible water tank which is in generator bay. I am going to replace one of my 6 way fuel vales as it's acting like the bottom section "snapped", can't see any other explanation due to the way it's performing. Thanks, PS I "think" the late 1980s 50 Connie is probably the same water and fuel set-up.

I have owned several 2 stroke DDs. I like the old things but stand by my advice that just about any other engine is preferable. Find a boat that has already had the money spent on it by someone else. This post alone has a few examples (someday they will be for sale) and there are many more available and on the market at any given time. An old Hatt or Bertram would be a better candidate for a 200k refit, at least as far as resale value (return$$$), at the very least they have a better market following, making them more "sellable". The older Chris Crafts are great boats, just not great sellers, i.e., they can be had for cheap compared to other more popular names. It will cost at least as much, usually more, to get an old Chris in top condition as it would for a Hatt. Initial purchase price becomes less of a factor.

I own a 1985 Constellation CC for about 5 years now and very pleased with her. Engines are 6Vs with over 3500 hours and I run them at around 1500 RPM average (w/ 100 hours of engine time per year).
The work done on them since I bought was new injectors ($5k) and a new turbo due to exaust leak ($5k).
Have fun in you assessment!

WOW, $5k for 12 injectors. And another WOW, $5k for a turbo. I bought 16 new in the box 9225 injectors for $400, surplus NOS. $2000 to have all 4 turbos rebuilt by an outfit out of Beaumont Tx. But, nobody works on my engines, just me. I run on beer and rum so labor is not a factor. :) I think I need to buy me some better rum. I'm not paying myself enough.

This is really a new post vs reply(forgot how to post new!). I have been working on my "88 501 since 2013 and am ALMOST near done, if there is such a thing! Eg: rebuilt port eng w/900 hrs due to riser failure, ,complete maintenance on all engines, pulled/rebuilt running gear, rebedded all 157 screws on bridge, reconfigured bridge with custom davit crane and 12ft tender, new galley, and all soft goods new AC pump, HW tank, much more and finally a COMPLETE NEW Awlgrip paint job by Diversified at Ft Meyers 2015( not cheap but looks unbelievable and NEW!). I've gained experience on "most" of the systems( happy to share if you need any help) but need some help on 2 issues. Does anyone have a potable waterline diagram and also any experience on the fuel 6 port fuel valve? I am going to replace as many water lines (and the pump system) as I can with the new "pex" (red and blue) lines and shark bite fittings and at least open and clean the one accessible water tank which is in generator bay. I am going to replace one of my 6 way fuel vales as it's acting like the bottom section "snapped", can't see any other explanation due to the way it's performing. Thanks, PS I "think" the late 1980s 50 Connie is probably the same water and fuel set-up.

The 1990 I just picked up has a full set of boat systems drawings. They might be of help to you.

Do you mind telling me about what you payed to paint the boat? And was it a spray job or roll and brush?

And yes, as I alluded to in my earlier post, running the Detriots at proper temp is very important for their longevity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom