1990 Connie / Galley Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Best Day Ever
Vessel Make
Regal 3880
Good Afternoon -
I am looking at a 1990 501 Connie. Galley Up Layout. 2600 hours on 6V92. 3300 Hours on Genie. 'CourtShip' is her name on the Chesapeake Bay. I know the Connie community is very tight...Does anyone know this boat? (Easily found on YW - Knot 10 Broker) In general any advice on this vessel?
Engine hours scare me - not the number of hours as much as how those hours were achieved - to the pins or at 1800RPMs.
We like the layout of this boat....
Hull - Solid? Any balsa in this boat? I think 1990 was pre-balsa.
Boat does not have a Bow Thruster - Needed?
Also - How is the rear visibility? Seems terrible and hard to dock 2-handed?
Again - Pros / Cons/ Thoughts are welcomed.
Tim

2600 hrs on a 6V92 is just broken in:) if recommended maintance was done.

That's funny because some folks say these engines prepped for 550hp are too much and 2500hours is about the serviceable life. Certainly for other diesels I would agree but is 550 horses too much for this block?

No one has any other opinion on the 50' Constellation?

I'm losing faith.... No opinions... LOL....
How about the fuel burn on these DD 6V92's.... I've heard such a range, I don't know what to believe.

On an old boat such as this the value is in how well it's been maintained and updated. The market on these boats is terrible. A thorough survey as well as an intensive mechanical survey is a must.

Are there detailed engine maintenance records? Has the engines received recommended service through out their life? Or is this just the broker saying "The owner kept the engines maintained" without any documentation?

How long has this boat been on the market?

Thank you Capt Ron... You've restored my faith... :)
Here is a link to the listing. On the market for only a few months. Cosmetically, she is in pristine condition. Have not gotten into the details of the engines yet - I am looking to learn more about the boat before I move forward with this particular boat.

1990 Chris-Craft 501 Motor Yacht 4 Stateroom Power Boat For Sale -

Get a genuine Detroit engine surveyor. The 550's in a sport fish would be past done at 2600 hours. In a motor yacht not so much so because it depends on how they were run and maintained.

A good surveyor will look inside the inspection plates, run a compression test of each cylinder, a wide open throttle test and an oil analysis. Absolutely insist that the surveyor see a dead cold start of the engines.

Since the 92 series are wet sleeved, I would want the coolant analyzed too. It should be changed more often than a 71 series.

They will be pretty thirsty at any speed.

That’s a lotta boat and extras for the money! Interior looks in good shape, exterior could use a shine up and refurb.
6V92TA’s really pushed that block to the limits however if they been treated properly they can do well. The good thing is they can be overhauled in place and each power pack can be individually replaced. (A power pack is an entire cylinder, liner, piston, connecting rods, bearings, rings, etc) A good engine survey can tell you all you need to know.
2600 hours is not a lot for a 1990 boat.
They ARE thirsty.

Let me ask you all this.... What does an in-place overhaul cost? (approx) I heard numbers ranging from $5k - $10k per hole... Sound right?

That sounds way too high, however I haven’t been involved in a Detroit overhaul in ten years. If necessary I would shop around.

If run at trawler type speed, those engines could still be in very good shape. If run on plane, they are likely tired. A good DD guy can tell their condition with a decent level of confidence.

I have not done a 92 rebuild in a long time, but as long as engine room access is good, figure around $4k per hole. And that depends on how much stuff (like turbos, heads, pumps) are reused or replaced.

If run at trawler speed (8kts or so), I'd figure about 1.5nmpg. Those DD's are not that bad on fuel at the lower speeds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom