Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: NA
Vessel Model: NA
Tell Us About Your Gulfstar

I don't have one yet! But I do have a contract on one, it's here on YachtWorld...

1979 Gulfstar Motor Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

So tell us about what you have, and how you like it!

thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Nice!

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Ours is a 1975 Mrk II 36. In pretty good shape but needs some paint. It is the owners stateroom layout with a double sized berth aft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0848.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	18182  
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Woodside,Ca
Vessel Name: Roam'n
Vessel Model: Westcoast 46
Gulfstar 36

I have a 1973 "Knot Again" Bought the boat last year in Detroit. Went across Lake Erie, all of the Erie Canal system (Senneca,Oswego,Champlain) down the Hudson, down NJ, up the Delaware, down the Chesapeake, met Sandy in Baltimore, the boat is now at AYB.
Great boat has done more then expected! Last boat was a Nordhavn, We kept in the Northwest for the last 7 years.
Rick
Rickized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

AYB? Annapolis Yacht Brokers? Just across the bay from us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickized View Post
I have a 1973 "Knot Again" Bought the boat last year in Detroit. Went across Lake Erie, all of the Erie Canal system (Senneca,Oswego,Champlain) down the Hudson, down NJ, up the Delaware, down the Chesapeake, met Sandy in Baltimore, the boat is now at AYB.
Great boat has done more then expected! Last boat was a Nordhavn, We kept in the Northwest for the last 7 years.
Rick
Old 04-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
Ours is a 1975 Mrk II 36. In pretty good shape but needs some paint. It is the owners stateroom layout with a double sized berth aft.
Nice picture. Looked at a few GS's before buying the MT. Is your power twin Perkins?

We looked at a Present on Kent Island, but someone else beat us to it.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Yes we have twin 4.236s with 3600 hours, still run fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Nice picture. Looked at a few GS's before buying the MT. Is your power twin Perkins?

We looked at a Present on Kent Island, but someone else beat us to it.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Woodside,Ca
Vessel Name: Roam'n
Vessel Model: Westcoast 46
Ayb

Atlantic Yacht Basin. Chesapeke, Va
Rickized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

City: New Bern, N.C.
We have a 1973 36 foot Mk 1. Bought it cheap and have been restoring it for two years. Hope to launch this summer. Love the look of the 44s, but the 36 will be more than enough boat for the two of us. Best of luck to you!

Rick - what new adventures do you have planned for this year?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Have a 1973 MK1 trawler, Sangria Nites, based in Galveston, TX. If you're in the Galveston Yacht Basin say hi.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Does anybody have a 38 footer with the twin Perkins 85HP engines that they can tell me about fuel usage and reliability?
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
We have a sistership to yours. Our hull # is 65, also built in 79.

I was fooled at first by the nav/work station til I read the ad, where it told about the forward head being removed and replaced.

If you ever have any questions...feel free to ask. We've had Just a Tinch since 2007...live aboard full time, and we've done a lot of work on her since acquiring her.

The boat you've got an offer/contract on looks really nice!! Just curious, what is her hull number....the two digits after the GFS044.... Also, I have a friend in the same marina with a sistership also....and he can supply tons of information as well.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks! There's no such thing as too much info . The Admiral is less than totally thrilled with the idea that there's only one head now, but I'm not giving up the nav station. We may try to work a head only back in once she's all ours, perhaps by putting in a shallow cold plate install in place of the reefer, and putting a head in the area behind it.

I've heard that blistering can be a problem on some models, but that the ones made later than 1978 were a little better. Have you had any problems in that area?

I'm at work and don't have the hull number in front of me, but I'll add it when I can. I'm going back down to Great Bridge this evening in prep for the survey and sea trial tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Thurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post

I was fooled at first by the nav/work station til I read the ad, where it told about the forward head being removed and replaced.

If you ever have any questions...feel free to ask. We've had Just a Tinch since 2007...live aboard full time, and we've done a lot of work on her since acquiring her.

The boat you've got an offer/contract on looks really nice!! Just curious, what is her hull number....the two digits after the GFS044.... Also, I have a friend in the same marina with a sistership also....and he can supply tons of information as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #14

Nice photos! I have a question in your album, what is the botom thru hull for on OnthehardinIndiantown021-1.jpg

I have been in slips when the tide went out that I would be this far up the keel in mud.

Quote:

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:

Letitia's hull number is 53.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
JAT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurman View Post
Thanks! There's no such thing as too much info . The Admiral is less than totally thrilled with the idea that there's only one head now, but I'm not giving up the nav station. We may try to work a head only back in once she's all ours, perhaps by putting in a shallow cold plate install in place of the reefer, and putting a head in the area behind it.

I've heard that blistering can be a problem on some models, but that the ones made later than 1978 were a little better. Have you had any problems in that area?

I'm at work and don't have the hull number in front of me, but I'll add it when I can. I'm going back down to Great Bridge this evening in prep for the survey and sea trial tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Thurman
Thurman.... We've had zero problems really with blisters. I popped a couple of little ones when we were on the hard and took care of them, about three...less than 1/4 the size of a dime.... on the whole hull. She had been in the water for 5 years on the same paint job....and at survey she had zero blisters. So no we haven't had any problems.

Good luck on the survey and sea trial!!

Rob
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
JAT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurman View Post
Letitia's hull number is 53.
A little older than ours.... Now, I don't know about where you reside, but here in FL...a boat 30 years old and older is considered an "Antique Vessel" and the cost of state registration stickers is about 1/25th of the normal. You might want to check on your home states rules....
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
JAT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
Nice photos! I have a question in your album, what is the botom thru hull for on OnthehardinIndiantown021-1.jpg

I have been in slips when the tide went out that I would be this far up the keel in mud.
On the port side lower, toward the rear...the lowest one is the toilet intake for the aft head, and there is on low on that side with a clamshell for one of the air conditioners, and one clamshell for the port engine intake.

I've been in slips where I've bumped bottom.....but I've never left one of those slips except at high tide.

Thanks on the pics!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #19
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I have a 1976 Gulfstar Mark II currently under contract. The initial hull survey passed and I'm waiting on the sea trial. The boat is equipped with a pair of Perkins 4-236 85hp diesels and a 8kw Westerbeke 1800rpm generator. The boat is currently on the Middle River in Maryland. I'll keep it there for the next 2 months while I upgrade her before taking her through the C&D the Delaware Bay through the Cape May canal and possibly up the Jersey ICW or run on the outside to Little Egg Tuckerton NJ to my home marina.
The boats got lots of potential and this won't be my 1st upgrade of a boat. Although I'm hoping it's the last for awhile.
I am seriously thinking of removing the upper helm and making it into a Sedan Trawler.
I captain her a bit before I decide if that's as practical as I think it should be.
We only found 2 spots with minor blistering that are going to be repaired.
Billylll
Current boat Wireless One
Little Egg, Tuckerton NJ
1993 40 Mainship Sedan Bridge
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
I have a 1976 Gulfstar Mark II currently under contract. ... The boat is currently on the Middle River in Maryland. I'll keep it there for the next 2 months while I upgrade her before taking her through the C&D the Delaware Bay through the Cape May canal and possibly up the Jersey ICW or run on the outside to Little Egg Tuckerton NJ to my home marina.

Maybe while you're in the Chesapeake, you can get a chance to come down to Annapolis for a bit before you take Wireless Too home

-Chris