Teak Finish (interior)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mixman

Vessel Name
Pineapple
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36 Mark II
Does anyone happen to know what Gulfstar used in the mid-70's on the interior teak? My refit on a 1976 36 MKII is coming along nicely and we're about ready to start the cosmetic improvements. I can't tell if they used varnish, polyurethane, varnish, heck, shellac?

Kurt, I'd use a one part interior polyurethane.

Satin is my preference. But that is of course up to you.

Polys are inexpensive, easy to use, long lasting and durable.

Thanks. We (my "re-fit" team and I) were trying to figure out what was originally used in order to keep with the same. Worst case I suppose we can test a few spots with different products and see what is compatible with the original product used.

I'd oil it w 25% oil based varnish (or less) and turpentine.

But only if there is so little build existing that the new oil and turp can soak in. Some sanding may be helpful. No need for anything but oil inside the cabin. Maintenance is super simple. Most of the teak inside our cabin has never been refinished. Oil will never need to be striped. A big plus.

I'd oil it w 25% oil based varnish (or less) and turpentine.

But only if there is so little build existing that the new oil and turp can soak in. Some sanding may be helpful. No need for anything but oil inside the cabin. Maintenance is super simple. Most of the teak inside our cabin has never been refinished. Oil will never need to be striped. A big plus.

It sure can't hurt to try some oil on it. In a former life I worked with musical instruments. A violin maker once told me that the only thing oil does to wood is extend its life :)

That's what it looks like to me, too, thanks. I'll put some oil on a spot and see what the outcome is. Wood oil can't hurt, uh, wood!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom