Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Rear shade for Gulfstar 36

Not a lot of room on that rear deck with the cabin sticking up, but there would be enough to put a small deck chair on. However, it gets hot down in this part of the world in the summertime, so I am trying to think of a cool way (pun intended, as bad as it might be!) to rig up some shade on the rear deck. The obvious way would be an awning stretched over the boom of the staysail and fastened to the railing on each side. But I tried a prototype, just using a tarp, and it looks pretty tacky. Have any of you Gulfstar 36 owners rigged up something nice that I could get some ideas from?

John

jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. j...
?????? or... http://www.beachstore.com/Beach-Prod...e-White-Stripe

Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Um, that might do it, but I had more in mind something which stretches all the way across from one railing to the other. Too bad that I am so much in the boonies here. Nice at times, but no clever canvas people with creative minds around this area.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

City: New Bern, N.C.
I share your pain. Last week's 95+ was brutal on the boat. Shade is definately needed. I've seen these types of umbrellas in the big box stores. The unique thing about them is that they store vertically, then cantilever out to cover a 10 x 10 area. I'm thinking mounted next to the mast they might not look too horrible, and that much shade would be a huge improvement. Might have to try one during the end of the season sales.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
I share your pain. Last week's 95+ was brutal on the boat. Shade is definately needed. I've seen these types of umbrellas in the big box stores. The unique thing about them is that they store vertically, then cantilever out to cover a 10 x 10 area. I'm thinking mounted next to the mast they might not look too horrible, and that much shade would be a huge improvement. Might have to try one during the end of the season sales.

I looked at those in Sam's Club last week. Couldn't really see then how it might be mounted, but never thought about the possibility of lashing it to the mast of the staysail. Now that is definitely an idea! They run right around $100 or so, which is a reasonable price. Guess that is kind of what RT Firefly was suggesting. Great minds . . . :-)
Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
OK, I don't have a Gulfstar 36, but I faced a similar dilemma this summer during a 1 week anchor out in 100F+ (38C) degree temps. I know this looks pretty rough, but it was just a prototype and it worked in a pinch.

The canopy is a 6 ft by 6 ft rolled sunshade which is normally installed to hang vertically. (They come in deffering widths and lengths.) The fat roller end is attached to the base of the FB. The other end has a rod running its entire width. This rod is attached to lines fastened to poles anchored into 3 rod holders on the aft rail. Two rods run along each outboard edge outward from the FB toward the aft edge to stabilize the fabric and hold it taught. I probably could have gotten by with 2 vertical poles instead of 3.

I'll be the first to admit that it ain't pretty, but with a little effort, it could be made to look good. It made a tremendous difference in the temps in the cockpit.

Since we have low humidity out here in CA, I added a small PVC bar with water mister jets to provide evaporative cooling. It worked pretty well while pumping fresh river water from the RW pump. YMMV with high humidity or salt water, but fresh water from the tanks can be used.
Attached Images

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot Harvest Eagle has a deployable rear shade located between the davits and the saloon; not deployed in this photo, however.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The canopy is a 6 ft by 6 ft rolled sunshade which is normally installed to hang vertically. (They come in deffering widths and lengths.) The fat roller end is attached to the base of the FB. The other end has a rod running its entire width. This rod is attached to lines fastened to poles anchored into 3 rod holders on the aft rail. Two rods run along each outboard edge outward from the FB toward the aft edge to stabilize the fabric and hold it taut.

Very clever! Thanks for the good ideas! Now if they just made PVC pipe which looks like stainless steel . . . :-)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

PlastiKote 615 Chrome Bumper Paint - 12 Oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Ta-dah!!!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Ta-dah indeed! Might just spring for a can and see if it will bond to a scuffed-up piece of PVC. Also boggles the mind to realize that it can apparently be sold any place in the entire world except for Catalina Island!

You are a fount of useful (and offbeat) knowledge, sir.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Since the PVC flexes, I think metal pipe would look and work better. Chrome paint is a good idea. I used some on my wheelpilot components and it turned out to be a significant improvement.

Before:

After:

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Since the PVC flexes, I think metal pipe would look and work better.

Undoubtedly, and if the idea works as well in practice as it works in my mind, then probably stainless pipe in the long run. But for the short run, just testing out the concept, some sturdy PVC pipe will probably do. Just fill the pipe with sand and cap either end. The sand will both add weight and cut down on the flexing. Cheap, and easy to do. Then try the chrome paint and see if it will bond to the PVC. Might even look decent. :-)