Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #1

City: Kent Island, MD
Vessel Name: Pineapple
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Mark II
New GS 36 MKII Owner

If anyone is wondering why BillyIII hasn't posted in a while, it's because I bought his GS. He is a very good friend of mine and fell into some health issues (severe back problems) that no longer afforded him the ability to rehab the GS-36 he purchased last year. My wife and I have a 30' power cat that we've run all over the Chesapeake, Bahamas, Keys, etc. with. But at 30x10 she's great to trailer, but not so much to live on. The GS 36 should make a much better live-aboard option for us in the coming years (we have no plans to ditch our power cat that cruises at 18.5 knots burning 7gph). I look forward to sharing the upgrades to Bill's GS in the coming 12-18 months. I must state again, I AM NOT GETTING RID OF MY POWER CAT! :-)
Gulfstar 36 MKII - 1976 - Work in progress
mixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I wish Billy the best with his back issues, suffering from similar I can totally relate. Welcome to the Forum and look forward to continuing to follow the refit of the GS through your tenure as caretaker. Billy had a pretty good start at it. Tell us more about your cat when you have time.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Welcome! I saw this boat listed a few years ago and the reason it was for sale was the owners failing health, I sure hope Billy gets well soon. We are across the bay in Kent Island. We also have a Gulfstar Facebook page.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum!

There's nothing like multiple holes in the water to throw money into.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Welcome to the Forum and look forward to continuing to follow the refit of the GS through your tenure as caretaker. Billy had a pretty good start at it. Tell us more about your cat when you have time.
Thank you. As for our power cat, I can run my mouth all day about her! Considering she's not a trawler I'll keep it brief:

Motorcat MC30, 2002
Twin Honda 60 HP outboards (2013)
18.5 knot cruise burning 7gph (via NMEA2000 data from outboards)
At 7 knots the real-time (also via NMEA200) is 1.5gph.
7,500lbs loaded.
Trailerable (9'6" beam).
Solar, generator, water maker, Type I MSD, etc.

She's taken us on 4 trips through the Abacos, 2 trips through the Keys. We thought we'd upgrade to another power cat but the Gulfstar seems to fit the bill just right. Buying it helped Bill out and will save us well over $100k for a longer-range cruising vessel. I expect the upgrades to take 1-2 years.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Welcome to the forum!

There's nothing like multiple holes in the water to throw money into.

Ted
I'm trying not to think about that :-)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
Welcome! I saw this boat listed a few years ago and the reason it was for sale was the owners failing health, I sure hope Billy gets well soon. We are across the bay in Kent Island. We also have a Gulfstar Facebook page.
I would very much like to meet and see your GS as I need to pick your brain as much as possible! :-) Our power cat is in Rock Creek, so it's almost just as easy to boat to KI as it is to drive (it's only about an hour on the water). We've been known to frequent Castle Harbor when we're in the mood for some food from Cafe Sado. My Honda dealer just relocated to KI as well (R&C Marine).
Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman View Post
Thank you. As for our power cat, I can run my mouth all day about her! Considering she's not a trawler I'll keep it brief.

Please do.

As for it not being a trawler neither is almost any other boat on this forum either, aside from the marketing department of the various builders. So feel free to talk it up all you wish as there are many cat aficionados on this forum, my full planing hull boat is about as anti-trawler as it gets.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I'm at Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman View Post
I would very much like to meet and see your GS as I need to pick your brain as much as possible! :-) Our power cat is in Rock Creek, so it's almost just as easy to boat to KI as it is to drive (it's only about an hour on the water). We've been known to frequent Castle Harbor when we're in the mood for some food from Cafe Sado. My Honda dealer just relocated to KI as well (R&C Marine).
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #10

I'm happy to answer any questions about the Motorcat brand. The owners' group is here: Motorcat Owners Group • Index page and our personal blog with our MC30 is here: The adventures of MC30 "Deuce"

The cat has been a great boat. My wife and I are late 40's at this point and she's betting on an early-out option from her job in just under 2 years (I own a small business in Baltimore that I can run from just about anywhere). We're not sure if we want to keep the cat to take advantage of having a trailerable "pocket cruiser" or get something we can live on long-term (like the GS). Since the cat is paid for and the GS was a great deal we are in a position to take a few years to figure out what direction we'll take. Heck, one boat may be an FL boat and the other an MD boat. Having a trailer for the cat helps too.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

PM sent!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #12

Here's a bit of irony (or destiny). We keep our cat at a friends' house. As soon as I told him we bought a GS 36 he sent me a picture of a GS 36 in the same slip we're currently in! His boss used to own it and he fell in love with it. He tried to buy it but the boss traded it in on a larger GS. The first pic is a screen capture from my "slip-cam" a few moments ago. The second is the GS circa late 1980's:

Edit: Links fixed at no charge from your TF Site Team!!
Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: How much did you say you were asking for the Power Cat? hehe....
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Congrats to both you and Bill Kurt.

Two boat owner now? Sounds like it time to retire so you'll have enough time to work on them both.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Please do.

...So feel free to talk it up all you wish as there are many cat aficionados on this forum,...
Right Here!
Love the cats!
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: How much did you say you were asking for the Power Cat? hehe....

Dang it! you beat me to it!
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Congrats to both you and Bill Kurt.

Two boat owner now? Sounds like it time to retire so you'll have enough time to work on them both.
Thanks, Bill. I was just with Bill's today at his office in NJ picking up the last load of "stuff" that went with the Gulfstar. As it stands, the cat just got second coat of spring wax so she's pretty good to go for the summer. After re-powering 2 years ago and then upgrading all the electronics to NMEA2000 there really isn't anything else I can do or add to that boat. My spare time now will be working on and overseeing upgrades to the trawler.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome, Mixman! I'm glad you got Billy's boat. I remember you from Boatered and know you and Billy had lots in common. I'm sure his boat came with every gadget he bought in preparation for the boat and a few he took off his old boat in anticipation for installing them on the GS36. No doubt, you know all about each gadget and the networking required to make it all work together.

Please pass along my best to Bill. He and I tried to rendezvous last spring in MD where his boat was berthed, but he couldn't break away from NJ and it was still on the hard. Hope he's doing OK.

BTW, I took the liberty to fix the pix links in post #12 above and deleted your duplicate post with the good links. This is a free service to all TFers. If you need to edit a post past the time limit, let the TF Site Team know via the report post symbol in the lower left corner and we'll help you make that happen.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Finally glad to see a Motorcat owner here on the Forum. Numerous threads could have used the input of a member with Motorcat experience. The boat has two of the most efficient hulls out there, and in an independent test held in the UK, I read that the MC-30 was able to cruise at 10 knots with two 10 HP outboards. I've often thought that after I finish cruising, an MC-30 would fit the bill for our type of usage.

I sent some MC-30 "Pilothouse" Photoshop mods to Kriz in Poland some time ago, never thinking that they would make a MC-29 "Coupe" of their own....also a nice boat. Best of luck with the GC-36. It certainly is at the far end of the spectrum away from the MC, but a great boat in its own right.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Please pass along my best to Bill. He and I tried to rendezvous last spring in MD where his boat was berthed, but he couldn't break away from NJ and it was still on the hard. Hope he's doing OK.
Holy cow, there are quite a few "BE" people here! I remember you. I took a LONG break from BE (Bill drug me back into it recently with the Gulfstar sale). Why don't you PM me for Bill's number? He'd LOVE to hear from you.

Quote:
BTW, I took the liberty to fix the pix links in post #12 above and deleted your duplicate post with the good links. This is a free service to all TFers. If you need to edit a post past the time limit, let the TF Site Team know via the report post symbol in the lower left corner and we'll help you make that happen.
That is great. I appreciate you cleaning up my mess and I'll contact admins the next time I need a cleanup.